Berrys plated lead for personal defense?

PDA

docsleepy
January 27, 2013, 09:26 PM
Can anyone tell me how Berry's plated lead pistol rounds do for self defense?

Specifically (if that is important) I use the 124 grain flat point (FP) in my 9mm pistol.

Would it expand nicely because it is thin copper plating over lead slug? Or would it be less effective than specifically engineered jacketed hollow point?

Your wisdom greatly appreciated!

If you enjoyed reading about "Berrys plated lead for personal defense?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Walkalong
January 27, 2013, 09:33 PM
I wouldn't count on it expanding.

Berrys is coming out with some personal defense bullets though. Should be available soon.

showmebob
January 27, 2013, 11:05 PM
From my test the original Berrys hollow points don't even expand. I would consider them no better than FMJ.
As Walkalong said, wait for the new hollowpoints to come out and give them a test before relying on them.

primalmu
January 27, 2013, 11:11 PM
Personally I wouldn't load my own self defense ammo. I'd buy commercial ammo, then try to work up a similar load for practice.

NeuseRvrRat
January 27, 2013, 11:12 PM
here we go again...

Ole'Joe
January 27, 2013, 11:42 PM
yup, But if ya put a hole in them~~ keep firing!
Just dont stop to check!

1SOW
January 28, 2013, 12:27 AM
here we go again...

Yup.

A 124 Gold Dot at 1200'/sec is STILL a rose by any other name.:D:D:neener:

markdoddridge
January 28, 2013, 12:39 AM
Xtreme already makes some:

http://www.xtremebullets.com/9mm-115-HP-p/xc9mm-115hp-b0500.htm

Dont know anyone thats tested them, and i doubt they can compete with most jacketed hollowpoints, but the price is right.

gamestalker
January 28, 2013, 02:15 AM
I haven't yet started using plated bullets, so I can't help you there. As soon as I can find some plated self defense bullets I'll probably give them a try. But from a personal stand point, and based on my experience with factory ammunition v.s. my personal reloads, I wouldn't use anything but my own personal reloads. I have had exactly zero failures of any type with my reloads, I can't say the same for factory, and I've fired far more of my reloads than factory too.

Most of my contact with factory ammuition was quite a few years ago, 30+ yrs. ago. But apparently it hasn't improved much since then, judging by the now and then contact I have with factory ammo since and it still has intermitent manufacturing problems, now and then mis-fires or a primer that got deformed during the process. But those companies produce giant quantities, so it's only reasonable to expect a few mistakes that slip by Q&C unnoticed. But by no means am I implying that factory isn't good enough or reliable to carry for SD, just that I personally feel better carrying my own reloads.

GS

docsleepy
January 28, 2013, 07:24 AM
Thanks for all the info, folks. I have some hornady XTP that I've loaded for protection when hunting wild boar but I have thousands of the berrys and friends who cannot find, or cannot afford ammo at this weeks prices need help. Ther is almost NO popular caliber ammo in my city.

Thanks again.

hAkron
January 28, 2013, 07:29 AM
The hollow point Berry's don't have petals to expand. It's more of a cutout to give you a certain bullet profile and maintain a specific weight.

Berry's DOES have some hollowpoint defense projectiles in development though.

RandyP
January 30, 2013, 10:25 AM
There are a whole lot of headstones over folks shot with FMJ and bare lead RN.

I am of the opinion that anyone worth shooting is worth shooting many times until they cease being a threat to me. I am far less concerned over the specific shape, design or weight of the projectile I am firing than my ability to hit where I am aiming.

mljdeckard
January 30, 2013, 01:51 PM
I think that the overall benefit of FMJ v JHP has real-world limitations. No matter what cartridge or bullet you are using, you will still use the same plan of action. Plenty of people will drop with a single plated lead bullet. Many have survived multiple hits from JHP.

I have a LOT of reloads with Berry's right now, and while I carry premium JHPs normally, if for some reason I was caught in a defensive situation with a gun full od RNL reloads, I wouldn't cry or panic. I would do the exact same thing.

HOOfan_1
January 30, 2013, 01:55 PM
Berry's DOES have some hollowpoint defense projectiles in development though.

They've been coming soon for over a year now though....currently vaporware

Firehand
January 30, 2013, 04:17 PM
Couple of years ago, while testing some other stuff, I tried a X-treme plated .45acp 200-grain HP in some water jugs, velocity ~800fps.
It completely penetrated five one-gallon jugs and left a dent in the 2x4 at the back of the rack.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/--Pb9fiDUT6o/TaS77W_GGxI/AAAAAAAACWk/p_vUzkLoTRc/s400/45acp%2Bplated%2B2.jpg
Not only did it not expand, if it weren't for the rifling marks you wouldn't know it had been fired.

jediagh
January 30, 2013, 04:39 PM
Don't expect those new PD berry bullets anytime soon. Berry's is now 4 to 6 months behind on orders. In addition they have stop producing some bullets (less popular calibers) until they can clear their backlog sometime fall of 2013.

HighExpert
January 30, 2013, 04:54 PM
Those bullets don't even deform much when striking a steel backstop. They poke holes. Multiple holes are good. Multiple holes in the right spots are better.

Deer_Freak
January 30, 2013, 04:58 PM
There is no medical proof that hollow point are more effective at stopping an attacker. There is this so called energy dump and hollow points are safer because they are less likely to pass through the attacker. This energy dump is nothing but a theory. There is no medical evidence to prove that a bullet in the body will stop an attacker faster, only the word of an ammo salesmen. Medical evidence proves that FMJ ammo is more deadly because the attacker will bleed out faster with an exit wound. Another medical fact is a dead attacker will stop the attack at the moment of death.

mljdeckard
January 30, 2013, 05:12 PM
That is only correct if a JHP round won't (under normal circumstances) completely travers a human target. Premium JHPs WILL. While doing so, they will cause significantly more cavity trauma between the entrance and the exit. Whoever is telling you that energy dump is the reason we use JHP ammo is telling you the wrong thing.

Chisos
February 1, 2013, 10:15 PM
I'm trying to figure out why commercial defense ammo is so much better than my own .357 Mag carry load of a 160 gr. LBT WFNGC in front of 14.5 gr. WW-296. I, personally, would not want to be on the receiving end of it. And having had more misfires using commercial than I ever had handloading, I trust my own loads a little more. But then again, I did like what that Jurras guy was doing with the Super Vel stuff I was shooting back in the late '60's.

NWcityguy2
February 1, 2013, 11:19 PM
There is no medical proof that hollow point are more effective at stopping an attacker. There is this so called energy dump and hollow points are safer because they are less likely to pass through the attacker. This energy dump is nothing but a theory. There is no medical evidence to prove that a bullet in the body will stop an attacker faster, only the word of an ammo salesmen. Medical evidence proves that FMJ ammo is more deadly because the attacker will bleed out faster with an exit wound. Another medical fact is a dead attacker will stop the attack at the moment of death.

Let the witch trails begin... First you doubt expanding ammunition, then you doubt The Walking Dead. Load what you want but I think the military has proven beyond a doubt that when a bullet passes through someone in a straight line and does nothing else, it is not very effective.

viking499
February 1, 2013, 11:30 PM
Berrys has their new 45 cal HP's out for testing and they are getting some good reviews from what I remember reading. The 9's were set to come out next. The current market situation is going to delay that for awhile.

Walkalong
February 2, 2013, 09:19 AM
Asked and answered.

If you enjoyed reading about "Berrys plated lead for personal defense?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!