Glock 19 vs. Ruger SR9C

PDA

DavidB2
January 28, 2013, 02:17 AM
Shot a friend's Glock 19 yesterday at the range yesterday. I was amazed at the immediate accuracy of this pistol; and the ease with which I shot it. It shot a variety of ammo without a jam. I am thinking about getting one in the future; as the 19 seems a great all around carry gun. I also have admired the Ruger SR9C for a compact pistol. Any thoughts on the Glock 19 or the Ruger SR9C?

If you enjoyed reading about "Glock 19 vs. Ruger SR9C" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TarDevil
January 28, 2013, 05:43 AM
I carry the Ruger,.it's perfect for me. You're not me, though, and if you like the Glock and shoot it well...that's the way you should go.

The Ruger plusses for me were the perfect size, weight, ergos, extra 17 round mag, and outstanding reputation for reliability. It has not let me down.

Glocks are fantastic guns, though, for those who like the feel. Shoot them both, buy the one you shoot best.

M2 Carbine
January 28, 2013, 06:43 AM
I have them both.

If I had to get rid of one it would be the Glock.

bannockburn
January 28, 2013, 06:58 AM
DavidB2

I have tried the Glock 19 and the Ruger SR9c, as well as the compact version of the S&W M&P and the SA XD Sub-Compact, and the Ruger was the best fit for me in terms of ergonomics and design features. Try as many of them as you can (range rentals, friends guns, etc), then go with the one that works the best for you.

ku4hx
January 28, 2013, 09:17 AM
We own both, and both are fine shooters. In fact, I've bought both a Gen3 and a Gen 4 19 and currently the Gen4 with CTC laser is my wife's bedside table gun. That will change just as soon as she gets a laser for her SR9.

The SR9c is a very nice pistol that so far has been flawless in operation. The only thing I dislike about the SR series of guns is the way the magazine disconnect works. If you dry fire them without a magazine inserted, you risk damage to the striker. And, if you pull the trigger without the magazine in place, the gun still has an audible "Click" but won't fire a cartridge in the chamber. Part of that click is the striker hitting the magazine disconnect. The simple fix for that was to remove the magazine disconnect on all three of our SR guns.

Wife very much prefers her SR guns (SR9, SR9c and SR40) to any Glock and shoots them all very well. All have very nice triggers. I like them too ... very much. But then I've always like Ruger guns. These guns just feel so good in both our hands.

BSA1
January 28, 2013, 10:49 AM
I have been shooting a Ruger SR9C that belongs to another family member. Due to shoulder surgery I can only shoot it weak handed. It has never jammed on me and with it's easy trigger pull makes my weak hand shooting look good.

A key feature for me is it's external thumb safety. I just like the additional safety when carrying a semi-auto with a round chambered.

RBid
January 28, 2013, 12:05 PM
The SR9c is my light clothing concealed carry choice. It's just a shade more compact than the G19/23, has a very nice trigger, and runs reliably. I'm over 2,000 flawless rounds through mine, so far. The 17rd spare is a plus. The way the pinky extension sits is perfect in my hand. I shoot the SR9c very well. Short version: perfect for my needs.

I find the G19/23 size to be very easy to conceal, as well. I can carry it in anything I wear.

The secret to light clothing concealment:
- be fit
- wear a 'wife beater' made of a thick material under your tshirt

Easy-peezy.

snooperman
January 28, 2013, 12:15 PM
I have both but like the fit, feel and accuracy of the Ruger much better.

Ehtereon11B
January 28, 2013, 02:18 PM
My vote is for the Ruger. Mine has had about 4000 rounds through with only one malfunction which was a combination of my brother limp wristing it and poor ammo (WWB). Have not had as much success with every Glock I have ever fired.

JTQ
January 28, 2013, 02:22 PM
While I own neither, isn't the G19 vs SR9 a better comparison?

G19
4.01" barrel
15rd capacity

SR9
4.14" barrel
17rd capacity

The SR9c is Ruger's answer to the G26.

G26
3.42" barrel
10rd capacity

SR9c
3.4" barrel
10rd capacity

easyg
January 28, 2013, 02:23 PM
I would go with the Ruger SR9c over the Glock 19.
But you really can't go wrong with either one.

ku4hx
January 28, 2013, 02:51 PM
@JTQ (forgot to click the quote square again)

That's what I thought until we bought an SR9 and SR9c and owned all four. The numbers don't lie, but barrel length and capacity isn't the whole story. There's overall length and height to consider.

For us, the SR9c feels like the G19 and the SR9 feels like the G17. Of course, "feelings" are subjective, but when you actually have them in your hands that's how they seem to us.

JEB
January 28, 2013, 06:52 PM
my vote is for the ruger. my wife carries the sr9c and i carry the sr40c. IMO, they are the perfect size for a carry gun. with the standard mag they are very concealable, and with the extended mag, they are only slightly less concealable, but shoot like their full size counterpart. the trigger is excellent, one of the best striker-fired triggers i have ever felt actually. fully adjustable sights are a BIG plus to me since i can get it perfectly zeroed for whatever load i choose. after shooting both, i have really come to prefer my wife's 9mm over my .40. the 9mm just shoots so much more smoothly for me, and it is so dang accurate!

Bush Pilot
January 28, 2013, 10:51 PM
I would go with the Ruger SR9c over the Glock 19.
But you really can't go wrong with either one.
Have to agree, both are great guns, you couldn't go wrong with either one.

DavidB2
January 28, 2013, 11:58 PM
I have been doing some research on the Rugerr SR9C. I really like the versatility of the gun as a concealed carry/target pistol (with extended grip). However, ilt seems that some folks have had problems with peening barrels, sight adjustment, or gouging from the springs. Can anyone give feedback to some of these problems? On the other hand, Glock 19 is accurate out of the box, reliable under all conditions. I have not shot the SR9C; so I will hold off ultimate judgement until I can either rent one or get more positive feedback on the SR9C.

mboe794
January 29, 2013, 12:16 AM
My SR9 developed a slight peening on the front of the barrel hood during the first few hundred rounds. I simply filed down the raised edges and the problem has not returned. Now around 3000 rounds. I chalked it up to tight tolerances, which I consider a good thing. It just needed some breaking in.

Bobson
January 29, 2013, 12:27 AM
I own a gen 3 Glock 19 and love it. Wouldn't change a thing about it.

When I chose the G19, I was also considering the SR9c. The most influential factor to my selection of the Glock over the Ruger is the fact that the SR9 and SR9c are equipped with a magazine disconnect, which means the gun won't fire unless a magazine is seated. Some people call that a safety feature, but it was something I wasn't willing to deal with. Like I said, I'm very happy with my Glock 19.

TarDevil
January 29, 2013, 12:49 AM
I have been doing some research on the Rugerr SR9C. I really like the versatility of the gun as a concealed carry/target pistol (with extended grip). However, ilt seems that some folks have had problems with peening barrels, sight adjustment, or gouging from the springs. Can anyone give feedback to some of these problems? On the other hand, Glock 19 is accurate out of the box, reliable under all conditions. I have not shot the SR9C; so I will hold off ultimate judgement until I can either rent one or get more positive feedback on the SR9C.
Pick a gun... pick any gun and you can Google up issues of almost any type. While qualifying for my CHL, we had to stop several times to allow the sole Glock 17 shooter to clear his jams. Doesn't mean that's a chronic issue with the guns.. this guy just had a problem.

Both guns are excellent. It's your money, pick the one you like best.

Byrd666
January 29, 2013, 01:02 AM
It's kinda weird for me, a G23 feels good and shoots good but, a G19 doesn't.

The SR9 is my standard carry and works well for me. Had I had my 'druthers, I woulda' went with the SR9c as a daily carry. Fairly inexpensive, lifetime warranty on the weapon, not the buyer, parts and accessories are becoming more and more readily available, dead on accurate, no pun, and reliable in everything I've done with it. Sand, unintentional, rain, on purpose, mud, because of said rain, gravel, in said rain, accidental drops, in frozen rain and ice, mostly while on my person but some not. Thinking about it, I've pretty much beat this pistol to ****.

Hmm, maybe I will keep her around for day or two more. Go with the Ruger. Just my biased opinion

RBid
January 29, 2013, 01:04 AM
The reports of problems with the SR9c are badly overstated. I have over 2,000 flawless rounds through mine. I have spoken to or interacted with 1 person (ScotchMan from TFL) who had problems with one. On the other hand, I have had many interactions with people whose SR9c experiences mirror my own.

burk
January 29, 2013, 01:07 AM
I think they're both very fine handguns. In terms of quality, it's hard to beat the Glock as a proven platform in 9mm. But when you get in that class of weapon, like the M&P, XD, I think it depends a lot on what feels best to you. If you were "amazed" at the immediate of accuracy of the Glock that's a pretty good sign it's a good fit and that you might not shoot the Ruger as well as they do have different grip angles.

I like the Rugers additional manual safety, to me it's a nice option, don't like the mag disconnect, and I like the value offered in the Ruger. As far as QC, working part time at a dealer I've seen very few issues. One other thing I don't like on the Ruger is the sharp edges on the slide serations.

The Glock is smoother but boxier. It's a little bigger gun to conceal. The one thing I love about Glocks though is the availability of all kinds of drop in improvements from springs to barrels.

JEB
January 29, 2013, 02:10 AM
i forgot to add: the one thing i DO NOT like about the ruger is the magazine disconnect. i find it to be a worthless, and possibly even dangerous feature in a carry gun. both my wife's sr9c and my sr40c have had their magazine disconnects removed. this is a very simple process that literally only takes a coupe of minutes to complete so don't let this one negative feature keep you from buying an otherwise great handgun.

JR24
January 29, 2013, 02:58 AM
Primarily carried a SR9c for about a year and a half now and have about 2500-3000 trouble free rounds through mine. Its accurate and conceals great, I love it. I've never been bothered by the thumb safety (2 other carry guns are 1911's and Hi-Powers) or the mag safety.

I have never been able to warm up to the Glock trigger, grip angle, width and the unfortunate placement of the finger grooves on third gen (don't fit my stubby hands) YMMV. I've never tried the 4th generation ones though, so they might be good.

I've had no issues with barrel preening, spring gouging, springs and pins falling out, jamming or any of the other litany of supposed issues the SR series has in either my SR9c or SR40c, so I wouldn't worry about the internet complaints there.

carbonyl
January 29, 2013, 06:09 AM
I've had an sr9c for two years and thousands of rounds. I've never had a malfunction of any type. This gun has the perfect fit and feel, at least for me.

ku4hx
January 29, 2013, 06:54 AM
... ilt seems that some folks have had problems with peening barrels, sight adjustment, or gouging from the springs.
As of yesterday, and right at 300 rounds through each gun, I see no peening of any kind on our SR9, SR9c or SR40. I'm convinced what some people are calling peening is in fact factory milling.

Every gun I've ever owned and/or fired, has shown wear marks from the very first shot. in the vast majority of cases, that wear continued to a certain point then stops. Most, it not all, is cosmetic in nature and harms nothing.

All mechanical things wear (biological things too ... trust me) and you simply can't prevent it with even the very best lubricants. The very best you can hope for is to mitigate the inevitable.

WoodchuckAssassin
January 29, 2013, 08:04 AM
Ruger.

I owned the SR9C and like another poster said, it fit my hand PERFECTLY. I have yet to hold a Glock that felt anywhere near as comfortable. I have smaller hands, so that might account for it. I also like the external safety on the Ruger.

I'm not a huge fan of striker-fired pistols, but the Ruger SR9C is a very nice gun. I put about 500 rounds through her before I traded it in (from Tula ammo to Hornady), and I can't remember one malfunction with any of them.

ramboo
January 29, 2013, 09:40 AM
I have a glock 19 and the sr9c and like them both. I have the guide rod spring gouging thing going on with the sr9c and will send it in for repair.

mooner
January 29, 2013, 10:31 AM
Wow, I am very impressed how many people like the Ruger over the Glock. It seems even the people who have both tend to favor the Ruger. I wish they made one without a safety.

shafter
January 29, 2013, 10:37 AM
I've never fired the Ruger but I'm very impressed with the Glock 19.

PedalBiker
January 29, 2013, 10:50 AM
The Glock 26 is the same size as an SR9c. I've shot both, I like the SR9c better. So far the track record of the Ruger is shaping up pretty good, but the Glock has a long head start.

I don't like the magazine safety, but I like the thumb safety and the loaded chamber indicator enough to put up with the mag safety.

Glock will win if you want a long proven history. I like the overall package of the SR9c better.

I hear there is an SR45 out, but I have not seen one. That would make the family complete in my mind.

JEB
January 29, 2013, 11:09 AM
I don't like the magazine safety, but I like the thumb safety and the loaded chamber indicator enough to put up with the mag safety.

don't put up with it, just take it out :)

Soldiernurse
January 29, 2013, 11:15 AM
I carry the Ruger,.it's perfect for me. You're not me, though, and if you like the Glock and shoot it well...that's the way you should go.

The Ruger plusses for me were the perfect size, weight, ergos, extra 17 round mag, and outstanding reputation for reliability. It has not let me down.

Glocks are fantastic guns, though, for those who like the feel. Shoot them both, buy the one you shoot best.
Glock 19 accepts the Glock 17's 17 round mag & has a far better trigger... just say'n :evil:

Orion8472
January 29, 2013, 11:22 AM
I have shot both the Glock 19 and the Ruger SR9. I couldn't get into the Glock. However, I DID enjoy shooting the SR9. YMMV

Soldiernurse
January 29, 2013, 11:24 AM
While I own neither, isn't the G19 vs SR9 a better comparison?

G19
4.01" barrel
15rd capacity

SR9
4.14" barrel
17rd capacity

The SR9c is Ruger's answer to the G26.

G26
3.42" barrel
10rd capacity

SR9c
3.4" barrel
10rd capacity
Ruger considers the SR9c a compact, rather than a subcompact. BTW, at 1.18" the Glock 19's width is less than an SR9c. Not sure of the SR9c's trigger pull (must be a secret?) but doubt it's lighter than 5.5lb on Glock 19. Also, may I point out that the Glock 9's (17/19/26) mags are interchangeable! I have three 15rd mags, a 17rd mag , and a 33rd mag for my G4 G19 :cuss:

JTQ
January 29, 2013, 11:45 AM
Soldiernurse wrote,
Again, may I point out that the Glock 9's (17/19/26) mags are interchangeable! I have three 15rd mags, a 17rd mag , and a 33rd mag for my G4 G19
So are you saying, or at least implying, you can't put an SR9 mag in an SR9c?

Soldiernurse
January 29, 2013, 11:52 AM
So are you saying, or at least implying, you can't put an SR9 mag in an SR9c?
No sir, what you say may very well be true. My point was regards to the numerous post by others that G19 mags are 15rd cap w/Sr9c at 17rd mag cap. I wanted to make it clear the G19 also has 17 & 33rd mags.

TarDevil
January 29, 2013, 12:52 PM
Glock 19 ... has a far better trigger

Subjective.

But the world is built that way! :)

mboe794
January 29, 2013, 01:06 PM
On paper the Glock is thinner. But that is considering the outer most points. On the Ruger that is the manual saftey levers on each side. Ommit those, and the SR has less width.

Ehtereon11B
January 29, 2013, 06:08 PM
Magazine safety? *Runs to RSC* Must be something new they added somewhere. My "old" SR9c doesn't have that.

The only real problem I have with my SR9c is cosmetic. The loaded chamber indicator is a little obnoxious with how far it sticks up right out of the top of the slide. This was a little easy to fix though if you don't mind defacing the weapon a little to file down the tab that pushes against the loaded casing.

JTQ
January 29, 2013, 06:32 PM
Soldiernurse wrote,
No sir, what you say may very well be true. My point was regards to the numerous post by others that G19 mags are 15rd cap w/Sr9c at 17rd mag cap. I wanted to make it clear the G19 also has 17 & 33rd mags.
For clarity, the G19 is designed for use with 15 round mags and as such the manufacturer supplies 15 round capacity mags with the pistol. The SR9 is designed for use with with 17 round mags and those are the capacity mags the manufacturer ships with the SR9. The fact you can use mags designed for other pistols in the G19 or SR9/SR9c is immaterial to my original comparison that you quoted.

Bobson
January 29, 2013, 10:06 PM
don't put up with [the magazine disconnect] just take it out :)
This is an easy option; just be advised, OP, that if you do this, it will fully void the warranty Ruger offers. Most people have no problem with that, but it is something you need to be aware of from the get-go.

mboe794
January 29, 2013, 11:46 PM
I wasn't aware that removing the mag saftey would void any warranty. Couldnt a guy just stick it back in if he were to send the gun in for repair? There would be no evidence that it was ever removed.

HOOfan_1
January 30, 2013, 12:07 AM
Glock 19 accepts 17 round mags...but does not come with one....

I have a Glock 19,I like the trigger..but the SR9's is better. They have about the same pull weight, but the SR9's has no take up at all.

From what I have seen the mag disconnect is as easy to put in as take out. Not sure how it would void the warranty...Ruger has no stated warranty....

From their own website, they say if you alter the Gun they eill restore it to factory condition before service, at cost to owner. Means they likely fix the problems for free but charge you for a new disconnect safety.

powwowell
January 30, 2013, 12:13 AM
I have owned both. I like them both. I sold one and it was the SR9c. I like the ergos of the SR9c better. I like the looks of the SR9c better. I don't know why, but I shoot the G19 better. And, that's the purpose of me owning a pistol. Shooting it.

Bobson
January 30, 2013, 01:03 AM
I wasn't aware that removing the mag saftey would void any warranty. Couldnt a guy just stick it back in if he were to send the gun in for repair? There would be no evidence that it was ever removed.
I'm not sure, I've never done it or seen it done, so I dont know what's involved or whether its permanent or not. All I know is, if Ruger sees it, the warranty is shot. I specifically checked on this when I was considering the SR9 for myself.

ETA: I'm trying to find out where I heard this "void the warranty" thing, and I'm not finding it. The best I've been able to find is that if you send a modified Ruger firearm in for work, its their usual practice to return it to bone stock configuration before returning it. I apologize if I originally gave out inaccurate information.

mboe794
January 30, 2013, 09:19 AM
I was told that Ruger put the mag saftey in there to satisfy certain laws, but also intentionally designed to be EASILY disabled by the owner if he/she wishes. And it couldnt be any easier. The gun can go from having a mag safty to not having one in about 30 seconds. Same goes for reinstalling it.

HOOfan_1
January 30, 2013, 01:59 PM
Here is a video of how to take it out and put it back in. Basically if you have ever detailed stripped a Glock slide...or taken the striker out of an SR9 slide...it is that easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dHXND_9-bE

ziondogg
January 30, 2013, 06:53 PM
Not trying to hijack the thread but does anybody know were I can find a nib sr9? Ive checked all my usual sites but everyone is sold out. Thanks.

Takem406
January 30, 2013, 09:00 PM
Glock. More parts and accessories! They aren't any pretty but they flat work and shoot great!

Sent from my layout blind

Hardison_84
February 1, 2013, 12:09 AM
I own a Sr9c and so far I love it don't have a glock so cant compare but absolutely love my Ruger. I have tendon problems and was wanting a 45 but just felt that the 9 would be better with the 2 spring set up recoil spring but it is hard as hell to rack but after you get use to it its no probs. Im kinda new to some of the fire arm stuff so forgive me if my terms aren't 100% rite.

easyg
February 1, 2013, 04:33 AM
This is an easy option; just be advised, OP, that if you do this, it will fully void the warranty Ruger offers
Not true.

ku4hx
February 1, 2013, 05:40 AM
Not true.
Agreed! But if there is a question, just put it back in before you ship the gun. Holy smoke pole ... this is not rocket surgery.

The three I removed from wife's SR guns are now in my spare parts cabinet. Each in a little labeled plastic bag but even that's anal overkill given they're the same part. But I tell you what, Ruger thinks highly of these little buggers at $33 each on their shopruger website so best not to lose them.

meanmrmustard
February 1, 2013, 07:58 AM
For clarity, the G19 is designed for use with 15 round mags and as such the manufacturer supplies 15 round capacity mags with the pistol. The SR9 is designed for use with with 17 round mags and those are the capacity mags the manufacturer ships with the SR9. The fact you can use mags designed for other pistols in the G19 or SR9/SR9c is immaterial to my original comparison that you quoted.
That's a polite way of saying "that's not fair!"

The mag capabilities IS a factor, and if for any reason along the lines of just having a crap ton of ammo on your person or you hate to reload, the G19 with 17-33 rounders excels. It was designed to flush fit 15, not end at 15.

As for trigger...meh for both. Neither excites me.

Safety on a DAO: Why? I'm getting a Shield, but I have no choice there either.

The Rugers priced a bit better, even less so than the Gen 3 G19.

Both have good after market.

But...if I'm buying a sub-$600 polymer framed gun for all purpose, truck, HD/SD, plinking, or leaving in a safe or drawer with a loaded mag for ten years and expect a dirty gun to save my life, I'm buying the Glock.

fxstchewy
February 1, 2013, 04:14 PM
I have a G26 and to me it is as close as you can get to a no frills sidearm that would not fail when you need it, i imagine the G19 is the same, the Ruger just don't have the track record....yet.

If you enjoyed reading about "Glock 19 vs. Ruger SR9C" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!