Chicago And Cook County Illinois Have A Ban On AR's

PDA

wriggly
January 28, 2013, 04:05 AM
Can you sell an AR to a Chicago resident legally?

If you enjoyed reading about "Chicago And Cook County Illinois Have A Ban On AR's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
wildbilll
January 28, 2013, 10:47 AM
I wouldn't sell it within those areas. The transaction should take place elsewhere. It is up to the buyer to decide if they want to take it into those areas.

GT1
January 28, 2013, 11:49 AM
There are plenty of Cook County and Chicago residents who own ARs, they just don't have them there, they are in their second residences, cabins in the woods in Wisconsin, etc, etc.
Edit: Do'h! The answer to the question. Of course they can buy ARs, all they want, there is no law stopping them from buying anything that is legally for sale.

OpelBlitz
January 29, 2013, 07:35 AM
Right, the key is that it's illegal to posess an AR in Cook County.

ilbob
January 29, 2013, 07:49 AM
Right, the key is that it's illegal to posess an AR in Cook County.
The key is that it is illegal to possess an AR in Cook County unless you live in a home rule community that has a different rule than Cook County does. It is legal in Hoffman Estates for instance.

However, it is unclear whether the county is actually enforcing their ban.

OpelBlitz
January 29, 2013, 07:58 AM
Ah yes correct, good point regarding home rule. Forgot about that.

I don't know either, to be honest. Certainly don't hear about it, and it's definitely not proactively enforced.

LeonCarr
January 29, 2013, 09:23 AM
What is Hoffman Estates?

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

OpelBlitz
January 29, 2013, 09:28 AM
Hoffman Estates is a suburb about 15-20 miles NW of Chicago.

TenDriver
January 29, 2013, 09:53 AM
Sounds like this would be a good SCOTUS test case.....

VVelox
January 29, 2013, 11:51 AM
Technically bullet buttoned ARs can be had in Chicago. You will have registration issues though.

Check out http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/ . I know some one on there managed it in the last few months, but I can't seem to find the post off hand.

If you enjoyed reading about "Chicago And Cook County Illinois Have A Ban On AR's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!