Is my Walther P99 on Cali's approved list?


January 28, 2013, 07:38 AM
Hi everyone,

Kind of confused on how this works. Have a P99 on and I keep getting this question from California residents that are interested in my gun. The item number on my P99 box says WAP77010, which is the Walther item number for the P99 AS w/ 15rd magazines. However, I'm not selling it with 15rd magazines. I am only including three 10rd magazines. The exact same gun, but with 10rd magazines from the factory has the item number WAP77000, which is on the Cali approved list.

Can I still legally sell WAP77010 w/ 10rd magazines only to a California resident?

Thanks in advance!

If you enjoyed reading about "Is my Walther P99 on Cali's approved list?" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
January 28, 2013, 04:29 PM
Nope, ain't the same gun as far as Calif is concerned. They can't have it.

PS ... they have access to the same list you do. The only reason they would ask is to see if they can "slip on in" on the sly. However, the FFL on their end would put the kiabosh on that, and they wouldn't get the gun. Now the FFL has the gun, the buyer can't have it, and you don't want it back. Makes for a real mess.

January 28, 2013, 04:52 PM

A resident can easily own guns that are not on the roster.

They merely have to have it go through the SSE process.

Please make sure that they have an FFL that'll do the SSE.

Please see "EBR Works" for exmaple. They sell non-roster guns to Californians as many other places do that do the SSE transfer.

See me with any questions.

January 28, 2013, 06:08 PM
This seems very complicated.

From :

"Effective January 1, 2001, no handgun may be manufactured within California, imported into California for sale, lent, given, kept for sale, or offered/exposed for sale unless that handgun model has passed firing, safety, and drop tests and is certified for sale in California by the Department of Justice. Private party transfers, curio/relic handguns, certain single-action revolvers, and pawn/consignment returns are exempt from this requirement."

What about this private party exemption?

Would really love to know for sure if this gun can be transfered legally without having to do the SSE process.

January 29, 2013, 01:11 AM
Private party transfers are limited (perhaps illegally, but seems nothing we can do about it short term) to transactions between parties who have California ID.

If the box were to come with the SKU indicating the 15 round mags, might be a problem.

If it comes in a non-SKU-marked box, with 10-round mags, who knows? S&W ( certainly indicates the contents of the different SKU packages differ only by the mag capacity.

Need to talk to the CA FFL.

January 29, 2013, 07:34 AM
Thanks for the input everyone. Just decided not to do business with California residents. It's just easier that way.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is my Walther P99 on Cali's approved list?" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!