.40 S&W Question

PDA

JimStC
January 28, 2013, 02:00 PM
During the years I competed in IPSC I was running a Brazos Custom .40 in Limited.
I have several 1000 rounds of ammunition I loaded as follows:
4.6 gr Titegroup
185 gr bullet
Small Rifle primers
1.215" OAL
I have since sold the gun. The traditional .40 OAL is 1.125", so in order to use my ammunition I either need to buy one of the STI single stacks ( which will cycle the 1.215") and use Wilson 10mm magazines or buy a traditional carry .40 and shorten the OAL .09".
My question is what affect will the shortening have on the pressure of the round?
I assume it will increase but by too much to be safe?
Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Jim

If you enjoyed reading about ".40 S&W Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
January 28, 2013, 02:21 PM
The thing to do would be to pull some of them, reduce the powder charge, and work back up to 4.6 at the shorter length.
Or just load some more with a reduced charge and work back up if you still have any of the same bullets?

Hodgdon shows 4.7 MAX with a 180 XTP jacketed bullet at 1.125".
But not with Rifle primers.

rc

jr_watkins
January 28, 2013, 02:26 PM
I accidentally loaded about 500 40S&W too long a few years back. I don't remember the actual length, but they fed, cycled, and fired just fine in my Glock 22. Point being, they may feed in other pistols even though they are out of spec long. Worth a try.

JimStC
January 28, 2013, 02:39 PM
rc,
I am trying to avoid anything other than shortening. I have over 6,000 rounds. It will be easy to set my die at a shorter OAL and just crank them out. Anything more is way more than I want to tackle.

jr,
I went to my LGS today and put a caliper on the magazines of several of the pistols I liked. They were all .080 too short for my ammunition. It is interesting that your Glock handled the longer loads. There was a Glock at the shop but I didn't measure the Glock magazine. Guess I should have...

Thanks guys,

Jim

rcmodel
January 28, 2013, 02:43 PM
rc,
I am trying to avoid anything other than shortening.That was my point.

If you start lower and safely work back up to 4.6 at 1.125" with Rifle primers?

You can safely seat all 6,000 of them shorter to 1.125".

rc

JimStC
January 28, 2013, 02:44 PM
Got you rc.

Jim

GLOOB
January 28, 2013, 07:18 PM
There was a Glock at the shop but I didn't measure the Glock magazine. Guess I should have...
FYI, I doubt Glock 40 mags will cycle at that far over normal OAL. I find I have to stick quite close to the manufacturer recs for the traditional TC-shaped 40 bullets. 1.130" for a Berry's FP. 1.125" for Nolser HP. The Glock mag is the limiting factor, not the chamber.

As RC mentioned, you can carefully work your load back up to see if you get pressure signs in your handguns. And not all handguns are equal. You might get pressure signs in one handgun, but not another. My FNX40 can be loaded hot. The action stays locked for a ridiculous length of travel. Something like 3-4 times the distance of my Glocks. This allows it to extract cases that will get stuck in my 40 cal Glock, which tries to extract them while pressures are still too high. Not that I recommend it, but I did use my FNX to "unload" some rounds I accidentally loaded a little too hot for my Glock.

If you enjoyed reading about ".40 S&W Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!