Should I sell my vz and get a Garand?

PDA

macomb2013
January 28, 2013, 03:26 PM
Subject line says it all. I recently found the wonder website called CMP. I got a vz 2008, the complete package( 8 mags, mako hand guard, sides mount and optic,bayonet and ammo). I've always wanted a Garand.once I get the Garand I will change the gas block so it can shoot commercial ammo. Plus I lived in IL,you never know when it will turn into new york. For what I'd get for the vz I could have a Garand, some ammo (assuming CMP isn't sold out like everyone else...).

The vz is really nice but it doesn't speak to me the way my other guns do. To be fair I think the vz is way better than an AK i shot. I believe it is everything an AK should be.
What do you guys think? Should I sell the evil Commie gun and buy the old war horse?

If you enjoyed reading about "Should I sell my vz and get a Garand?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Reloadron
January 28, 2013, 03:59 PM
I am not real big on the AK type rifles. Bought and sold hundreds during my gunshop days and just not my type rifle.

That said you have obviously shot your VZ and AK variants. I suggest you try and borrow a M1 Garand and shoot the rifle. If you like the AK guns I would not just sell what you have and jump into a Garand. Rather I would look to borrow a Garand and get familiar with the rifle. Then if you like the Garand and only if you like the Garand worry about getting one.

While I happen to like and enjoy M1 Garands, they are not for everyone. More than once I have seen people get one and three weeks later regret the decision and they are looking to sell the rifle. Thus, I suggest try before you buy.

Just My Take....
Ron

xfyrfiter
January 28, 2013, 04:12 PM
Garand thumb will either make you or break you lol.

1KPerDay
January 28, 2013, 05:45 PM
Keep your VZ. Save your pennies and get a Garand.

Fishbed77
January 28, 2013, 05:50 PM
Keep your VZ. Save your pennies and get a Garand.

My thoughts exactly. Save 62,500 pennies and get yourself a Service Grade Garand from the CMP. You will not be dissapointed.

tnelson31
January 28, 2013, 05:55 PM
Maybe sell 6 mags and other pieces, and then get a Garand?

I didn't like Garands until I shot one at the range, the one I was shooting had little recoil and was smooth. I am a huge iron sight fan but like my rifles lighter, so until I shot it I only had weight to go by.

shafter
January 28, 2013, 06:11 PM
I would sell almost anything to get a Garand.

1KPerDay
January 28, 2013, 06:22 PM
(rhetorical questions, not directed at you) Do you go out for coffee? Breakfast? Lunch? Do you pay for cable TV? How much do you spend on soda a month?

Not trying to be inflammatory... but a lot of people don't realize how quickly they could save $600 with a few sacrifices. :cool:

MarshallDodge
January 28, 2013, 07:07 PM
(rhetorical questions, not directed at you) Do you go out for coffee? Breakfast? Lunch? Do you pay for cable TV? How much do you spend on soda a month?

Not trying to be inflammatory... but a lot of people don't realize how quickly they could save $600 with a few sacrifices.

Good point. When I was young and made $11 per hour, I saved up $250 to buy a Garand. I worked a little overtime, fixed the neighbor's lawnmowers, scrapped aluminum, and packed a lunch. The next thing I knew I had enough for a Garand. :cool:

nathan
January 28, 2013, 07:52 PM
I would say the Garand is a must have. Sell the Vz and get the Garand. Eight rounds of .3006 is such a powerpunch. You wont regret it.

tomrkba
January 28, 2013, 07:58 PM
Keep the vz since there is no reason to get rid of a good gun. Save up and get a Garand for $650 or so.

dwstone1227
January 28, 2013, 10:52 PM
Nothing outshines a M1 Garand. Pure fun.

Vaarok
January 28, 2013, 11:09 PM
The Garand is an overhyped and overrated rube-goldberg first-generation semiautomatic rifle that fires a small quantity of expensive ammunition. It is large, cumbersome, heavy, and less likely to be as reliable as a Vz. Keep the Vz, buy a Garand when your funds allow.

68wj
January 28, 2013, 11:09 PM
Tough call. The Century made VZ isnt top of the line, but it is nice and they shoot very well. The Garand is American histoy and a solid rifle. I would say that the VZ is a bird in the hand, your choice.

TurtlePhish
January 28, 2013, 11:24 PM
Keep the VZ, save for the Garand. You don't wanna regret a sale later on.

InkEd
January 28, 2013, 11:35 PM
Better keep that vz

12gaugeTim
January 28, 2013, 11:51 PM
The Garand is an overhyped and overrated rube-goldberg first-generation semiautomatic rifle that fires a small quantity of expensive ammunition. It is large, cumbersome, heavy, and less likely to be as reliable as a Vz. Keep the Vz, buy a Garand when your funds allow.

As much as I hate to admit it, from a purely engineering stance this is correct. There's a lot more to a Garand than whether or not it was well engineered though. If American history or WWII movies are something that makes you tick, the M1 will do something for you the vz can't. My grandpa cried when his kids bought him a Garand for his birthday. He carried one in the military.

henschman
January 28, 2013, 11:51 PM
Since you don't even like the VZ, I say sell it. You can sell it for a crisis price and buy the M-1 at regular price. Plus you can actually get ammo for the M-1. Have you tried to find 7.62 Soviet lately?

Fishbed77
January 29, 2013, 12:45 AM

So much wrong in one statement.

overhyped and overrated
I think its service record speaks for itself. Whether you buy the "Greatest Battle Implement Ever Devised" proclamation or not.

first-generation semiautomatic rifle

The Garand is not a first-generation semiautomatic rifle. Many other designs (Mondragon, Remington Model 8, etc.) came long before the Garand. The Garand itself went through numerous iterations over a very long period of time before the final rifle adopted by the US military.

rube-goldberg
A gas system of operation so simple it was copied by the AK.

expensive ammunition
I guess you've never heard of Greek HXP M2 Ball from the CMP. These days it costs about the same (50 cents/round) as the overpriced 7.62x39mm you see in stores today (if you can find it).

large, cumbersome, heavy
It's heavy (that's the price of forged steel and wood), but it's also almost perfectly balanced, so it's hard to call it cumbersome.

less likely to be as reliable as a Vz.
I'd love to see some data to backup this quote. Both are ridiculously reliable designs.

All that said, I still stand by my earlier post. Definitely keep the Vz (it's an awesome rifle) and save your pennies to get a Garand. A CMP Garand is probably the best deal you can get for any firearm today.

macomb2013
January 29, 2013, 01:42 AM
thanks for the advice guys. i will keep the vz. 50-100 dollar a month i should have enough money to get one when school ends.

MountainBear
January 29, 2013, 01:55 AM
I've bought and sold AK variants. They never tend to last in my collection. But I still have my 1st Garand. There's something special about Garands. I don't know if it's the history, the shootability, or something else, but that's the gun they are talking about when they say "from my cold, dead fingers..."

goon
January 29, 2013, 02:18 AM
Should you get a Garand? Yes.
Should you sell the VZ to do it? Eh... I don't think I would right now.

Ian
January 29, 2013, 09:56 AM
The VZ isn't an AK variant - and I would not sell it. In several ways it's better than the AK.

The Garand is an overhyped and overrated rube-goldberg first-generation semiautomatic rifle that fires a small quantity of expensive ammunition.

Let's be fair; it's really a second-gen design. The first generation were things like the Farquhar-Hill, Mondragon, Mauser 1916, and some other REALLY Rube-Goldberg wackiness. None of the first-gen rifles would have handled the combat conditions that the M1 was used in.

But yeah, the M1 is not a modern combat rifle, and really shouldn't be though of as such. I love mine for the same reason I love my CJ2A, but on a normal day I would drive my Toyota and carry an AK (or VZ-58!)

Roadking Rider
January 29, 2013, 11:16 AM
Should I sell my vz and get a Garand?
Ok here's my take on this. I own a M1 Garand (springfield 1955) and it is by far my most cherished rifle. I do think that everyone who can afford one should at least own one. However having said that I would not trade the VZ for a M1 Garand. I'd save my money to buy one outright. M1's are not cheap to shoot, where the VZ with it's 762 x39 ammo is about half of what a 30-06 round costs. On the other side of the coin nothing and do mean nothing is more enjoyable IMO to shoot than the M1 Garand. I only shoot mine about three times a year and it is stipped to the bone cleaned a lubed after every shooting.

Cesiumsponge
January 29, 2013, 11:38 AM
I ordered two last week from CMP despite never having handled one in person. I watched q couple of documentaries around the rifle itself and that sealed the deal Another forum member just ordered 12 Garands. If not for the history, purchase it as an investment. The supply is not going to last forever.

chris in va
January 29, 2013, 04:04 PM
Like you, the AK platform just didn't do it for me and I sold it for an AR. That being said I shoot my $450 CMP Garand more than my AR.

I see you plan to keep the VZ, good call. Quality rifle.

Save your 30-06 brass. Pick it up and any other brass you find. Reloading for the cartridge is quite cost effective, even if you don't plan to reload right away.

shafter
January 29, 2013, 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shafter

Not trying to be inflammatory... but a lot of people don't realize how quickly they could save $600 with a few sacrifices.

I made that comment meaning a Garand is more desireable to me than most other rifles. That being said I have 2 on order from the CMP :) :)

savage116
January 29, 2013, 04:25 PM
I ordered two last week from CMP despite never having handled one in person. I watched q couple of documentaries around the rifle itself and that sealed the deal Another forum member just ordered 12 Garands. If not for the history, purchase it as an investment. The supply is not going to last forever.
You say purchase as an investment. I understand the prices are going up and the supplies aren't what they used to be. When I see people purchasing large numbers of guns and saying they are investments it kind of bothers me. I just turned 18 and would really like to purchase an M1 garand but right now I just can't afford it. I plan on saving to purchase one ASAP. I can understand if you are collecting certain grades, or makes or years but to just order a pile of them to have as an investment. That doesn't really give younger people a chance at reasonable prices when people are sitting on piles of them.

shafter
January 29, 2013, 06:34 PM
Better to have them in the hands of a fellow gunlover even if he plans to sit on them that to leave them on the shelves until the day Uncle Sam decides they're worth more as scrap.

savage116
January 29, 2013, 06:38 PM
Shafter, you do have a good point that I never considered.

Cesiumsponge
January 30, 2013, 10:58 AM
You say purchase as an investment. I understand the prices are going up and the supplies aren't what they used to be. When I see people purchasing large numbers of guns and saying they are investments it kind of bothers me. I just turned 18 and would really like to purchase an M1 garand but right now I just can't afford it. I plan on saving to purchase one ASAP. I can understand if you are collecting certain grades, or makes or years but to just order a pile of them to have as an investment. That doesn't really give younger people a chance at reasonable prices when people are sitting on piles of them.
Unfair? Save your pennies and buy guns. I'm in my 20's and I don't drive a sports car or have a huge house. I've invested my fun money into firearms instead. Should I stop buying gold and silver, or stop buying shares of stock because it drives up scarcity?

Buying power sucks when you're young. This can be fixed to some degree with hard work, making sacrifices, and good investments. Such is life. I looked hard and found a good-paying job during high school, full-time summers, because I felt earning some spending money was more important than partying. That sacrifice paid off for schooling and also left a crapload money for guns when I turned 18 and 21, and when the AWB eventually expired.

I missed out in Winchester Garands, collector and correct grade Garands. Who's fault is that? Mine! Don't blame others for your current situation. This isn't the Occupy Wallstreet forums. I missed out on a lot of other collector firearms but I kept an eye out and jumped aboard other opportunities. There's always something out there.

If you enjoyed reading about "Should I sell my vz and get a Garand?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!