Let's Move Ilion

PDA

Cosmoline
January 28, 2013, 05:44 PM
I have grave doubts about the ability of individual New York gun owners to do anything to stop Cuomo's mob rule. But I can also see a real opportunity here. Remington threatened to pull out prior to the vote, but is torn by a deep loyalty to the workers in Ilion.

The answer seems obvious to me. Move Ilion. Find some place in a gun-friendly state and offer to buy out and relocate both the Remington factory and the whole town to greener pastures. It could even be a new development called Ilion. Tax breaks and assistance from the new state government would help offset costs, and it's a virtual guarantee that quality of life would improve for all concerned. Cuomo's recent budget cuts are hitting the town very hard, so I suspect most people would get out if they could do so economically.

In the mean time New York would be left with an empty town and an empty factory. Think of the photo ops! Population gone and tax revenue gone. Well done Cuomo.

Alaska has plenty of turf available. Actually there's a place called Willow that's all platted and set up for a town of about 10,000 people due to some efforts to move the state capital that came to nothing. But I suspect Texas' government would be better able to facilitate the move and is a more realistic choice for housing a factory.

If you enjoyed reading about "Let's Move Ilion" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hnk45acp
January 28, 2013, 06:04 PM
would love to see Henry, Kimber and Remington move out of NYS, maybe they can pay their workers to move as well. This would not only remove the companies' tax revenue it would remove their employees tax base as well. Not to mention, real estate taxes and all the other high NY taxes they will lose

Texan Scott
January 28, 2013, 06:09 PM
Somewhere near the UNT campus north of DFW would be ideal. Cheaper real estate, lots of industrial support and a great opportunity for UNT's growing engineering program. Also, you see if we don't straighten them out on this stupid Remlin lever action business.

Black Knight
January 28, 2013, 11:44 PM
I would welcome Remington if they moved to Virginia. Imagine Remingtons made in Remington, VA. It is catchy isn't it.

splithoof
January 29, 2013, 01:49 AM
A great opportunity for them to move to a free state. I'm sure there are other states that would welcome them with incentives, reduced/no fees, streamlined approvals, worker relocation assistance, local education benefits, better housing, politically friendly atmosphere, lower state taxes, etc, etc.
If a bunch of gun-related companies offered a "round-up" option to internet orders that would help fund worker related moving expenses, I would certainly be supportive.

jgiehl
January 29, 2013, 07:59 PM
Not feasible but I'm sure Alaska would love to have Remington ;)

henschman
January 29, 2013, 10:10 PM
They should just go right across the border to Pennsylvania or Vermont or something.

tyeo098
January 29, 2013, 10:26 PM
I agree with Remington, VA

soloban
January 29, 2013, 11:40 PM
We have plenty of room in Huntsville, AL in Research Park. Come on South ya'll!!

R.W.Dale
January 29, 2013, 11:54 PM
They already have one factory here in Arkansas sounds like a great reason to expand

posted via that mobile app with the sig lines everyone complains about

HorseSoldier
January 30, 2013, 12:13 AM
Moving to a free state has the interesting potential legal quirk of excluding the federal government from involvement in sales within the state. A lot of what the .gov claims is its turf ref: guns is all based in on interstate commerce. Weapons made in Texas/Virginia/Alaska/where ever for Texans/Virginians/Alaskans/etc could become an interesting loophole.

If you enjoyed reading about "Let's Move Ilion" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!