Carbine length bayonets

PDA

USAF_Vet
January 28, 2013, 09:16 PM
I've always kinda thought the bayonet lug on a carbine length gas system looked rather pointless. Does anyone actually make a bayonet that would fit a M-4 carbine?

I mean, the handle would be foolishly long... two handed bayonet!

If you enjoyed reading about "Carbine length bayonets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
January 28, 2013, 09:27 PM
The standard GI issue bayonet fits the standard 14.4" M4 carbine perfectly.

It's the 16" civilian legal M-Forgery's they don't fit.

The real M4 has a 14.4" barrel especially for that reason, nothing else.

rc

USAF_Vet
January 28, 2013, 10:25 PM
I'm talking about a bayonet to fit a civilian style M-4gery with the 16" barrel.

Nikdfish
January 28, 2013, 10:37 PM
Bayonets fit 16" with a mid-length gas system...
I think the only thing the mount on a carbine gas system is good for is a mount for some other item like a small rail, bipod, etc.

Nick

AlexanderA
January 29, 2013, 12:16 AM
I believe you can get a special flash hider that extends backwards along the barrel, to make the 16" barrel appear shorter, and also to mount a bayonet.

kBob
January 29, 2013, 08:54 AM
WHen Dinosaurs ruled the earth.....

and what later became known as Mall Ninjas all wanted a 16 inch pencil barreled A1 type carbine there was a bayonet lug on a split ring mount.

You attached the bottom half of the ring in the bayonet locking recess, slid the bayonet ring over the flash supressor to the gas ring area ( Flash suppressor on AR15 was an onboard Grenade launcher for US tail boom grenades used with a special spring when so used....or not, but the grenade would slide off if the special spring not used the blank used to launch with was not the same as a training blank M203 much better idea except for anti armor) Installed the top half of the ring so as to have ring and lug firmly affisxed to barrel and removed the bayonet until the next time you felt like being pointy.

This was much like the system Ruger used on the Mini-14 GB models.

Surely someone makes something like that today for the M-4ish AR15s.

Look for "Bayonet Adaptor" be ready however for a lot of camera related hits.

Don't seem to have a picture of one in my stuff.....

-kBob

rcmodel
January 29, 2013, 12:55 PM
DPMS Clamp-on bayonet lug:
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_ZZE5NsdSHkwvywQMXp3Hn-EByaV_GipnLNSd45gfaj-pV-wR

Colt long handle bayonet:
http://prebanarms.com/detail.asp?product_id=a03

rc

Tirod
January 29, 2013, 01:06 PM
Here's the deal - The Army never issued a 16" barrel. It's been 20" or 14.5", and since the contract called for a bayonet lug, the front sight hasn't needed to change.

I wouldn't go out on a limb to say carbine gas was selected just because a bayonet would fit, but ya never know.

When the M4 finally got popular enough to build them, the shorty carbines previously not getting much respect, then the makers had one choice only: BATF legal 16" barrels. Since they were using all GI spec parts, the bayonet lug revered by macho wannabees was left on. Cheaper than spending money to cut it off or make a special front sight.

That meant GI bayonets won't fit - but the AWB banned the lug anyway. How smart is that? Really ironic, the gun banners don't even know a 16" carbine gas CAN'T take a GI bayonet.

It's really all about the looks for both sides.

kBob
January 29, 2013, 06:26 PM
Tirod,

How long was the barrel with and without flash suppressor on the XM177 series issued by the US Army or the USAF GAU whatever that was the same gun?

-kBob

kBob
January 29, 2013, 06:37 PM
rc,

Thanks for the assist on the bayonet adaptor.

That extended M7 looks goofy.

Now that I finally want a "CAR" I can not find an A1 upper with a 1 in 12 16 inch barrel with regular birscage flash suppressor anywhere anywhere. Now comes our current political situation and forget anything resonably priced or deliverable in six months.

I always thought the 10.5 inch barrel with 5.5 inch fake XM177 suppressor welded on to keep BATF happpy was silly.

-kBob

USAF_Vet
January 30, 2013, 01:02 PM
The Colt long handle bayonet is what I was wondering about. It does look particularly odd.

My AR doesn't even have a lug, wasn't really looking for one, just always thought the 16"barrel on M-4geries with the lug looked out of place.

If you enjoyed reading about "Carbine length bayonets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!