Do You Think The Pink Guns Have Attracted More Female Shooters?

PDA

vtail
January 28, 2013, 10:15 PM
Somebody must be buying them so maybe they are.

Do you know any guys that had to settle for a pink gun in the past month's craziness?

If you enjoyed reading about "Do You Think The Pink Guns Have Attracted More Female Shooters?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ColtPythonElite
January 28, 2013, 10:21 PM
I suspect a lot of new owners bought them because they were "cute", but never have learned to safely handle them let alone proficiently shoot them.

Grmlin
January 28, 2013, 10:33 PM
I point them out to my wife and she replies I don't want a pink gun. The oldest granddaughter on the other hand has pink/camo furniture on her shotgun. Two words that just don't go together Camouflage and Pink. If the firearm was one I wanted and just had pink grips or stock, those are parts I could replace so that wouldn't stop me from buying it.

Sam1911
January 28, 2013, 10:41 PM
I don't know that it attracts anyone to shooting, per se, but a little personalization and feminine color certainly can encourage a lady to pick one gun over another. Or, to bond with a gun that's so clearly and expressly theirs.

I seriously doubt that anyone not inclined to shoot or enjoy guns at all has had their mind changed by seeing that some are made pink now, if that's what you're asking.

jamesbeat
January 28, 2013, 10:43 PM
Two words that just don't go together Camouflage and Pink...

Perhaps for flamingo hunting?

I'm sure pink guns have made plenty of firearms owners out of non-firearm-type people.
Whatever floats your boat and gets people interested in guns.

I remember seeing a consumer affairs type show in the UK that had devoted an episode to pink cars.
Seems that a lot of unscrupulous used car dealers were having their poor-condition cars sprayed pink.
The idea was that the type of person who would buy a pink car probably wouldn't be the type of person who knew what to look for when buying a car...

I wonder if any of these pink guns are 'lemons' that would be otherwise difficult to sell?

Of course, a pink gun would fall into the category of a 'deceptively colored firearm' here in NY, so they are illegal here!

A friend back home in the UK keeps a pink baseball bat for HD.

The UK is so bad now that if you have any weapon at home to ward off a burglar, you stand a good chance of getting into trouble if you have to use it and can't come up with an explanation as to why you own it.

My friend's logic in buying a pink bat is that:
A. (serious reason) He can claim that it is in his home because it belonged to an ex girfriend who left it there, and:
B. (joke reason) The burglar would be less likely to go to the police and tell them that he got beaten up with a bright pink bat :D

InkEd
January 28, 2013, 10:43 PM
My wife thinks they are cute and likes some of the pink grips.

Ms_Dragon
January 28, 2013, 10:49 PM
I loathe and detest pink or purple anything and don't get me started the whole "Hello Kitty" customizations I see on rifles marketed towards young women.

They look like a princess sparkle fairy threw up on them.

I prefer matt black or drab olive cerakote finishes.

TanklessPro
January 28, 2013, 10:57 PM
Not sure, but having two daughters I see a few in my future. I don't mind at all as long as they want to go to the range and shoot, I don't care what color they are. :)
I dont care what color RKBA is, as long as it is.

TurtlePhish
January 28, 2013, 11:02 PM
I dont care what color RKBA is, as long as it is.

I like this.

The Second Amendment is colorblind.

I have no problem with guns of any color, even those (in my opinion) somewhat ridiculous zombie-green ones. My mom wants her 10/22 to be pink and my girlfriend wants an AR with pink furniture. I fully support them- if it gets them to the range, it's gotta be a good thing.

jamesbeat
January 28, 2013, 11:06 PM
Who cares what they look like?
If you have to plaster a gun with Hello Kitty decals before a so-inclined lady will buy it, at least she now has a gun.
I, like most here, am a strong proponent of firearms ownership for women, and if spraying a gun pink=more female gun owners, then I can't argue against them.

I don't think the color of the gun will prevent it from putting holes in a rapist.

Ms_Dragon
January 28, 2013, 11:08 PM
I totally get you about more women needing to buy a gun. Even a pink gun....even if they turn my stomach and make my eyes bleed. ;)

CarolinaChuck
January 28, 2013, 11:16 PM
It sells so it must be good. It is about the same as a lasers and flashlights on an AR platform... All show and no-go nessaray at the range. A pink painted hammer will drive a nail in a board the same as one without the finish... :banghead:

wankerjake
January 28, 2013, 11:18 PM
My 4-year-old daughter told me tonight she would go shooting with me, just me and her, if I bought her a rifle. She wants a "pink one with a dolphin on it" :rolleyes:

I will buy her a youth 22 eventually, maybe soon if she keeps expressing interest. I really just want a brown one though and if I take her to pick it out I know she's gonna want a pink one. I'm not big on the pink guns either, even the youth 22's.

Ultimately though, I think I will let her choose when the time comes. May as well get her what she wants, and hope she likes it.

twofifty
January 28, 2013, 11:48 PM
Our R&G club owns several pink 22s. They are used during our weekly kid's rifle program.

Some girls love them, many don't care. One of the better-skilled boys has figured out one of these pink rifles suits him particularly well, so he shoots that one all the time and gets great results with it.

The club keeps scores and awards trophies at year's end.

Wankerjake - you can paint the pink stock after she grows out of the pink stage. Or better yet, offer her to paint it purple, right now. Woooo hooo!!!!

ScrapMetalSlug
January 28, 2013, 11:56 PM
No. For some reason my wife hates the pink guns.

greenmtnguy
January 29, 2013, 12:11 AM
I just kinda cringe when I see them, but I suppose that somebody must be buying a few of them.

DeepSouth
January 29, 2013, 12:24 AM
Do You Think The Pink Guns Have Attracted More Female Shooters?

No, I believe the opposite.
An increase of female shooters attracted manufacturers to pink guns.

AFTER my wife started shooting she went shopping and eventually bought.....

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a633/WildBillyD/IMG_0789_zps7e7e77ce.jpg

I fully believe if she could think of a way to make it more "girly" she would.

gotzero
January 29, 2013, 12:34 AM
My better half has a bright pink cerakoted Glock 35, she loves it. I got a set of the pink magpul furniture but the demand for AR-15s went nuts before I could get a carbine length upper. That will become part of a future gift.

It is a small price to pay to get the important people in my life interested in shooting. I think the manufacturers are responding to significant demand, kind of like the large rise in left-handed firearms becoming available. It will not be for everyone, but the part of the market it serves is obviously thrilled about it.

Sam1911
January 29, 2013, 12:43 AM
I will buy her a youth 22 eventually, maybe soon if she keeps expressing interest. I really just want a brown one though and if I take her to pick it out I know she's gonna want a pink one. I'm not big on the pink guns either, even the youth 22's.

Ultimately though, I think I will let her choose when the time comes. May as well get her what she wants, and hope she likes it.

Try the Savage Cub-T if you can still find one. They came with a laminate stock that had a reddish/maroon/pink(?) layer in it that was plenty "girly" enough for my daughter and not too girly for my boys ... or me!

Zardaia
January 29, 2013, 12:56 AM
Wonder if any panic buyers have ended up geting funny looks at the range because it was the last one on the shelf?

9MMare
January 29, 2013, 12:59 AM
It's ok with me but has never been a deciding factor in a gun for me. Hence, I dont own one.

I do have pink camo shooting 'ears' tho and my gun cleaning kit bag is pink.

southpaw-boxer
January 29, 2013, 01:03 AM
It's funny this thread came up. I was at the gun shop today purchasing a Beretta Nano 9mm and they had it and black and pink. The sales guy was jerking me around a bit by saying the pick would look great on me. I ended up going to the bank to get money out to put a down payment on it and when I came back a lady was purchasing that very pink Beretta and she was gushing over it. My girlfriend and her friends are the same way. She likened it to an accessory like a Coach purse. Hey, what ever gets you off right? my girl shoots with me, boxes with me, and plays call of duty; can't really complain if the marketing works for her, right?

-david aka the ghost with a hammer in his hand

AlexanderA
January 29, 2013, 08:38 AM
I find this trend to pink guns to be aesthetically jarring. More than that -- I think it's a travesty. It trivializes what should be the very serious purpose of the gun. It makes the guns look like toys.

mljdeckard
January 29, 2013, 08:41 AM
My wife has made it clear, thast if I give her a pink gun, shooting isn't the only activity that will cease.

JFrame
January 29, 2013, 08:46 AM
I met a woman recently who believes in the RKBA, and wants to get a concealed carry permit -- but one of her main criteria for the firearm is that it has to be a pink one.

That doesn't bother me in the least as long as all of the other facets of her firearm ownership are founded on the right principles. :)

BSA1
January 29, 2013, 08:49 AM
My daughter who when going up hated anything pink came home recently with a Taurus with a pink frame and

she loves it!!!

BSA1
January 29, 2013, 09:09 AM
Well with the exception of that grumpy fella on post 23 it looks like everyone else is for whatever encourages gun ownership. <]:-)

For those that don't consider this. In America most single parents are women so they spend the most time with their children teaching them about their values. Then consider women are also among the most vulnerable and how many of them are empowering themselves by purchasing firearms. It makes sense to me that if mom owns a gun and believes in her right to protect herself she will pass those values to her children.

KimberUltra
January 29, 2013, 09:19 AM
I've seen both ends of the spectrum. Ive seen girls try to avoid to feminine stereotype and dont really like pink guns. Ive also seen the girlie girls who love the idea of pink guns.

I personally dont care if my significant other had a pink gun. As long the person holding the pink gun is competent.

30 cal slob
January 29, 2013, 09:21 AM
I'm doing a pink hello kitty AR build.

PGT
January 29, 2013, 09:30 AM
I suspect a lot of new owners bought them because they were "cute", but never have learned to safely handle them let alone proficiently shoot them.

my wife would say you're incorrect.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/PatagonianGT/24075_1367316901522_1152447_n.jpg

22-rimfire
January 29, 2013, 09:31 AM
Obama and Biden would wonder what game animal these are used for. A pink putti cat? They would also probably insist that it was a marketing ploy to get kids interested in guns.

I ignored the colors for the most part, but I can see why some might like it. After all, many like orange or pink knife handles.

If this helps to encourage people to buy, own, and shoot guns; I'm all for it.

ETSU_Gal
January 29, 2013, 09:36 AM
Pink guns are just so cliché. But the new Taurus 738 in lilac (light purple) is so pretty. I wish they made a glock in that color.

holdencm9
January 29, 2013, 09:55 AM
My wife has no interest in pink guns but she did like the Blue AK and the Black/White AK on Sons of Guns. Also she has expressed liking stainless 2-tone better than all black or all-stainless.

Stargazer65
January 29, 2013, 10:23 AM
My little girl has a pink Crickett .22lr. She's just mad about pink. But it's just a personalization thing, she would have one anyway even if it weren't pink.

It's like cars, usually people don't decide to buy a car because they saw a color they like. They just wanted a car, and a good color is just icing in the cake.

HankR
January 29, 2013, 10:34 AM
My seven year old daughter likes to shoot. She is using big brothers "hand me down" break-open single shot but has expressed an interest in a pink gun whenever she sees one in the display case.

I'm kinda torn, as anything I buy her now will be outgrown soon (and then I'll have two kid's guns w/ no more kids to use them). OTOH, although I've never been a fan of the cricket, I was checking out a Savage Rascal the other day. It's very light, and would be a good gun for her for the next year or two (luckily the one we tried was in black, I'd have to order the pink or I might have been swayed by those big brown eyes..). Her birthday is in the spring, and we don't shoot much in the winter, so we'll just have to see.

umadcuzimstylin
January 29, 2013, 03:24 PM
My girlfriend wants a pink gun.

Ehtereon11B
January 29, 2013, 04:01 PM
My wife has turned to the point of vomiting when seeing pink firearms. She will go on for hours about how the only things targeted at the female audience are pink. Pink shooting glasses, hearing protection and firearms. I get an earful every time we go somewhere. Needless to say all her firearms are either black or stainless steel. And she receives all my older shooting equipment.

mcdonl
January 29, 2013, 04:06 PM
My wife has turned to the point of vomiting when seeing pink firearms. She will go on for hours about how the only things targeted at the female audience are pink. Pink shooting glasses, hearing protection and firearms. I get an earful every time we go somewhere. Needless to say all her firearms are either black or stainless steel. And she receives all my older shooting equipment.

Pink is nothing but a color. Like deepsouth said... they are not created to attract female owners they are created because female owners WANT them... just like all of the realtree/mossyoak w/pink patterns. My redneck daughters pickup truck has camo and pink seats and stearing wheel cover. My other artsy fartsy daughter loves guns but hates pink.

Neither of them should cause anyone to vomit because of their color selection and the industry certainly should not be punished for catering to a wildly popular fad.

Sam Cade
January 29, 2013, 04:32 PM
Pink is nothing but a color.

Indeed.

The very idea of a gendered color is a bit foolish.

*I'm wearing a pink shirt right now.

Ehtereon11B
January 29, 2013, 04:48 PM
Yes I know pink is just a color. Was just outlining her reaction and by association why she rarely comes with me to gun stores. I would buy a pink weapon if it were significantly lower priced than a classically colored firearm of the same model. Most of my weapons stay in holsters where they belong anyway :D

Ms_Dragon
January 29, 2013, 04:53 PM
Sure Sam....gendered color is a bit foolish.

I'll go and get my guys Leonidas cerakoted hot pink as a surprise for him when I go visit.

Second thoughts....

I choose life.

Double_J
January 29, 2013, 05:01 PM
when I was a blue-collar type of employee I had most of my more expensive tools painted hot pink. That kept them from walking away from my tool box. I would have no problem buying a pink gun if it is one that I want. I can always use dura-coat to change the color later. :)

pseudonymity
January 29, 2013, 05:03 PM
I do not think that pink guns have attracted female buyers to those guns specifically, but I do think that the option of a pink gun has attracted female buyers. Even if a man or woman does not particularly like a gun, or even the color pink, the fact that manufacturers are considering the desires of a group that has been arguably underrepresented can be an incentive to look closer and maybe buy.

To those that feel that pink in particular is some type of offense against the Natural Order of All Things Gun, why is pink any less legitimate than black, or OD, or bright green? If a person is willing to pay for a safe, functional gun, why should they not be able to make adjustments to it to increase their pride in ownership? Having any color you want so long as it is black went out with the Model T.

rugerman
January 29, 2013, 05:08 PM
The last gun show that I went to there was an older woman dressed in pink pants, pink shirt with pink shoes and a pink ribbon in her hair looking for just the right shade of pink pistol to match her outfit. Made me wonder what color gun she would buy to go out on the town. But if thats what she wants more power to her.

Sam Cade
January 29, 2013, 05:09 PM
I'll go and get my guys Leonidas cerakoted hot pink as a surprise for him when I go visit.

Given the Spartan attitude toward pederasty and the usage of pink by gay rights groups that DOES make excellent sense.

http://pinkpistols.org/

c4v3man
January 29, 2013, 07:35 PM
It trivializes what should be the very serious purpose of the gun. It makes the guns look like toys.

You can buy and sell whatever you want, however I would suggest that pink on a carry weapon is probably a very bad idea if children have access to mommy's purse. It's just an opinion, and as stated earlier, I in absolutely no way would prohibit anyone from making or buying one, even for carry use, but it's something to be considered. Obviously there are safety concerns that must be dealt with in the presence of children at all times irregardless of the appearance of a gun.

If it looks like a nerf gun...

EDIT: I would also say this applies to other odd/bright colors as well, not just pink. I know Keltec had a whole variety of colors on their P3AT line, haven't looked at what Ruger offers on their model...

ApacheCoTodd
January 29, 2013, 07:58 PM
For my experience on three levels:

Manufacturer

Dealer

Husband

I've noted that with females in general and my wife and her friends/family in particular that being pink or otherwise feminine oriented in color is not nearly so important as not being merely black.

That said, there're fewer fans of the epic period blueing of old Colt and S&W offerings than my wife but modern black/blue finishes leave her cold and turning towards most any two-tone or stainless version, all things being equal.

Also worth noting, She does in fact a have a pink polymer AR and has never taken it out in public declaring it "silly".

mokin
January 29, 2013, 10:10 PM
The pink guns attracted my daughter to all the other guns.

radar1972
January 29, 2013, 10:25 PM
My wife owns a S&W Model 36 in nickel, a Ruger Bearcat in stainless, a S&W Model 642 and yes, somewhere along the way, she bought a Charter Arms Pink Lady. But if it had come with pink grips, she would have turned away.

mgmorden
January 29, 2013, 10:32 PM
I don't think any woman who wasn't going to buy a gun anyways is buying one because she saw a pink one.

What I think it helps manufacturer's do is draw (some) female buyers towards their products over others. Essentially some girls, while already shopping for a gun, will go "Ohhh, I want the pink one.".

PGT
January 29, 2013, 10:35 PM
if I bought my wife a Walther P22 she'd say "umm, ok. Its for you". Now, insert the word "pink" in that description and she'd be all giddy and post pics on Facebook bragging to her friends. She's going to be 44 in a week's time so age doesn't play into that response.

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll296/mackjon/DSC_0376.jpg

breakingcontact
January 29, 2013, 11:44 PM

I don't like them and females I know don't like them.

ColtPythonElite
January 29, 2013, 11:59 PM
I don't like them and females I know don't like them.
I did not mention gender in my post...

breakingcontact
January 30, 2013, 12:52 AM
Yikes. Didn't see the comments talking about that. I'm not going "there". Im a social conservative, not just a gun rights person.

I can say my dislike of zombie stuff far outweighs my dislike of pink firearms.

Tim the student
January 30, 2013, 03:15 AM
Well, my wife's aunt has said she wants one - but she hasn't bought one to my knowledge.

radiotom
January 30, 2013, 05:38 AM
I think the pink guns help with some women, I've seen a few go right to them at the gun shops. Maybe it helps break down a barrier to entry. But my woman seems to think her little black Glock is the prettiest gun there is... :scrutiny:

TRX
January 30, 2013, 06:22 AM
Iver Johnson and others made pink guns for decades, and apparently sold enough to keep the color in their product lines.

Pink isn't new, pink is the new retro!

Trent
January 30, 2013, 08:10 AM
Maybe if I paint my belt fed rifles pink, the gun grabbers will leave them alone.

Seriously, I'd paint my DShK pink, if it meant it was permanently exempt from any future ban.

Hell, I'd paint MYSELF pink if it meant my guns were exempt from any future ban. :) :)

Skribs
January 30, 2013, 11:09 AM
I've noticed that there is "normal" and "girl" guns...not really "men's" guns (although some people say the .45 is such). So if one takes the normal societal meaning that "normal" is masculine (especial re: weapons), then men have black, green, tan, and stainless, and women only have pink. I think manufacturers need to come out with more purple guns to cater to a larger number of women.

Sam Cade
January 30, 2013, 11:15 AM
I think manufacturers need to come out with more purple guns to cater to a larger number of women.

...and Prince.

Don't forget Prince.

cluck
January 30, 2013, 12:21 PM
Initially, my wife and I didn't like pink firearms because we didn't want them looking like toys to our children. We then realized that we make our kids treat their toys like real firearms so that it is ingrained no matter how they play, every firearm is loaded.
My kids get better toys as they show the proper responsibility. No shooting the dogs, your sibling, pointing it at people, etc. We start with a red, white, and blue pop gun we bought at Cabelas. They are now at Nerf pistol level. Blatant disregard for safety gets it taken away, and you're all the way back down to pop gun.
So now my wife has un-frozen our defense budget so I can buy HER a P238 Lady! (of course i get her P238 Extreme so it works out.)

cluck
January 30, 2013, 12:22 PM
I've noticed that there is "normal" and "girl" guns...not really "men's" guns (although some people say the .45 is such). So if one takes the normal societal meaning that "normal" is masculine (especial re: weapons), then men have black, green, tan, and stainless, and women only have pink. I think manufacturers need to come out with more purple guns to cater to a larger number of women.
Honey, basic black goes with everything.

hardluk1
January 30, 2013, 12:28 PM
I have two daughters and wife. ALL HATE PINK. No girly guns .

CJW
January 30, 2013, 01:33 PM
I'd never buy one, and my wife likes her black Glock just fine, but I figure if the ladies like it more power to them. If it sells more guns and gets more people into shooting what's the harm? There is a very attractive young gal who works at a LGS who always open carries a little pink revolver on her hip. Some people can just make a pink gun work ;)

fdashes
January 30, 2013, 01:47 PM
My granddaugher was just born last year just before Halloween. I will probably not live long enough to be able to see her learn to shoot, shoot, and or hunt. My daughter assures me she will learn about guns and then make up her own decisions. I purchased a cute little pink quality .22lr rifle for her and my hopes are that someday she will look over at it, smile, and tell everyone around that " my papa bought that for me."

9MMare
January 31, 2013, 02:08 AM
Honey, basic black goes with everything.

This ^^^ :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Do You Think The Pink Guns Have Attracted More Female Shooters?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!