Hi-Point pistols....love them, hate them? Your experience?

PDA

rkmitchell
January 28, 2013, 10:19 PM
The sub-$200 Hi-point pistols.....been poring through the youtube videos.

Funny how some of the guys who initially hated them have come around to like them for what they are.....useful, "social distance" powerhouses that double real well as a hammer once the ammo is gone!

(Like that phrase "social distance"....gotta remember that one)

I usually carry a wheelgun.....Taurus .38 packed with +P nasties, but haven't owned an auto since I parted with my CZ-75 in a weak moment.

Your thoughts?

If you enjoyed reading about "Hi-Point pistols....love them, hate them? Your experience?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hogshead
January 28, 2013, 10:21 PM
They would make a great boat anchor too.

MarshallDodge
January 28, 2013, 10:23 PM
You get what you pay for.

If all I could afford was a $200 pistol then I would do it but you can pick up something like a used Glock, M&P, or even a Ruger P89 for not a whole lot more.

sota
January 28, 2013, 10:30 PM
great drop gun to plant after bad people break in.

what.... i can't be the only one to think that

ColtPythonElite
January 28, 2013, 10:34 PM
They are big and clunky, kinda like a hammer. However, I would guess their pot metal doesn't hold up all that well for driving nails.

Mooseman
January 28, 2013, 10:36 PM
they're kind of like a tool you buy from harbor freight. They work but lack elegance. They'll get the job done but you won't want to show it off to your friends. That said, I have the 45 and if someone offered to pay me what i paid for it new I wouldn't sell it.

SleazyRider
January 28, 2013, 10:39 PM
Have you tried to get a Glock or M&P over the past few weeks or so? This may be a case of "beggars can't be choosers." Besides, most of the reports I've heard are very good.

Deltaboy
January 28, 2013, 10:42 PM
I got one and it just keeps going. It is my Easy Chair gun.

Analogkid
January 28, 2013, 10:45 PM
I have several of them along with a 9mm carbine.
They all work fine and are fun to shoot for newbs and old fellas alike.

blakec3686
January 28, 2013, 10:49 PM
I'm with moose on this one... (I have the .45) is it really heavy? yes. is it ugly? YUP? Does it shoot everything under the sun that I feed her ? YUP!!! I have plenty of other handguns to shoot but when I head to the range she comes with me. I call her the warthog hehe so far she has over 5k and no signs of slowing down anytime soon hehe

MarshallDodge
January 28, 2013, 10:52 PM
Have you tried to get a Glock or M&P over the past few weeks or so? This may be a case of "beggars can't be choosers." Besides, most of the reports I've heard are very good.
I am not going to argue with you over a $200 gun because nobody wins. If that is where you want to spend your money then go for it. My experience as a range officer at a public range where I see lots of guns is that you have a poor chance of getting one that is reliable.

For a range toy, I could maybe see it. They are accurate but I can't sit here and let somebody purchase something that could not be trusted for defense.

There is a slightly used Glock at the local pawn shop right now. Asking price is a little high but so is everything in this market. I paid $315 for a used G17 at the same shop in mid 2012.

Jim K
January 29, 2013, 01:27 AM
All I can say is that in limited experience I found the Hi-Poings very reliable and reasonably accurate. Despite remarks like "boat anchor" (which seem to come mostly from people who have never fired one and sometimes never seen one), I would concur with the "they work but lack elegance" evaluation.

Just from curiosity, Marshal Dodge, what caliber Hi-Points seem to give the most trouble, and what kind of trouble -jams, failure to feed, misfires?

Jim

Kiln
January 29, 2013, 01:37 AM
They're actually not as heavy or large as I'd been lead to believe on the internet. They're very wide though. The C9 feels about as heavy as my full sized XDM but has much lower capacity. They are very cheaply made...but they're also sold for very little money.

Unlike other zamak pistols like the Walther P22, the Hi Point is actually priced fairly. Their reputation is pretty good these days and their warranty service is known for being very easy to deal with.

The Hi Point line is made for people who can't spend a ton but want to be able to protect themselves. Their guns are kind of like the modern equivalent of the H&R pistols, they're for poor people and are often looked down upon by guys who own more expensive firearms.

If you've got $350 or so you can get a nicer gun but in the $150 range, the Hi Point is probably the best you're going to get in a new gun with lifetime warranty.

ku4hx
January 29, 2013, 06:18 AM
Given my limited experience with a Hi-Point 9mm, my position is it's a good entry level gun for a shooter on a tight budget. No real negative comments since it went bang every time it was supposed to.

But to me it seemed to be a lot like my first car when I was in high school. It ran and it got me from point A to point B but it just wasn't what I wanted to be driving in five years.

CZ223
January 29, 2013, 06:53 AM
fat chicks and mopeds, either can be fun but you don't want your friends seeing you with any of them.:evil: Seriously though, I have only ever had the chance to fire a couple of the carbines and neither worked well. I have heard nothing but good about their pistols so I will withhold judgement till I do. If they work as advertised I can see them as a house or truck gun.

meanmrmustard
January 29, 2013, 07:21 AM
and it was ok. The .40 model just wasn't my bag.

I won't do like others and tell you to spend more to get better. It's annoying, counterproductive, and we already know you can spend another $100-200 more and be in a different bracket.

I will, however, suggest another albeit more trustworthy gun at the same price point. That way, you don't have to adjust budget:

CZ82.:)

Col. Plink
January 29, 2013, 08:40 AM
Get one and it's matching carbine and you'll be happy as a clam!

tarosean
January 29, 2013, 08:56 AM
No experience.. never even held one.

I learned my lesson in the 80's with cheap pistols and will never go down that road again...

md2lgyk
January 29, 2013, 09:11 AM
A friend of mine bought one a few years ago and asked me to provide a little instruction as he was new to handguns. The third shot out of the box, the bottom fell out of the magazine.

If $200 was all I had to spend on home defense, I'd buy a shotgun.

premier1
January 29, 2013, 09:15 AM
I purchased one from my neighbor a couple years ago when he was laid off for $50.00 it shot never had a FTF. In relationship of price to quality they are a good deal. I recently sold mine simply because I never used it too heavy to carry and too bulky but I got my $50.00 bucks back.

MARKMALL
January 29, 2013, 09:57 AM
While I have never shot a Hi-Point pistol I do own a 9mm carbine. It has been 100% reliable. One thing I have noticed is that their are not very many used ones for sale. If they are as bad as some people say they are I would think you would see a lot of used ones for sale.

marv
January 29, 2013, 01:23 PM
I bought a new C9 last year out of curiosity. For what little I shot it, it is reliable and fairly accurate. As far as ugly, all of today's semi autos are like a brick with a handle on it. Due to arthritis and my age I find it difficult to operate. Therfore it is looking for a new home.

DeadFlies
January 29, 2013, 01:42 PM
I have a C9 and have about 1000 rounds through it so far. It works most of the time and is more accurate than I am. For the price, I can't complain. Though I did shoot it side by side with a Glock 19 this weekend which really made the Hi-Point's shortcomings (heavy, ugly, low capacity mag, unbalanced) stand out.

That being said, it never jammed. Same as the glock and was at least as accurate.

I don't love it and I don't hate it. I appreciate it for what it is until I can afford something better.

mgmorden
January 29, 2013, 01:48 PM
I got a Hi-Point C9 in a trade a while back. Shot it a handful of times before selling it for $100.

For the amount that I shot it, it was reliable, and was relatively accurate.

That's about all I have positive to say about it though. If you take it apart to any degree you could see that the springs making certain things work were little more than a straight piece of wire with a slight bend to it. It was HEAVY for its size. Felt terrible in the hand. Had a trigger that might as well have been on a staple gun. Used a single-stack mag despite the gun's width being more than enough to hold a double-stack. Also was about the ugliest gun I've ever laid eyes on.

Along with all of that, you've got a gun whose slide construction material (ZAMAK) is unlikely to last more than a few thousand rounds. Hi-Point will replace it for you if you manage to wear one out, but you have to pay for shipping each time (and shipping handguns ain't cheap). Considering that I've got some other handguns that are approaching 15,000 rounds now, the durability just wasn't up to my standards.

Personally, if it was absolutely all that I could afford then its better than nothing (and better than the guns like Cobra, Jiminez, Lorcin, Davis, etc), but I can't imagine being in such dire financial straights that I couldn't throw in another few $$$ to get something better. The surplus CZ-82's only cost about $40 to $50 more and are in a whole 'nother league.

Teachu2
January 29, 2013, 03:26 PM
It's the best new under-$200 pistol on the market, and far better than I expected. I have a buddy who bought one and enlisted my help getting started with it. We met at the range, and the guy in the next lane was shooting a G19. He made some snide comment and rolled his eyes - and then I ran a mag through it. It shot a tighter group than his Glock. That piqued his interest enough to ask it he could try it, and HE shot a better group with it. His comment was "It shoots OK, but it's sure ugly!". My friemd replied that it was the ugliest pig in the pen, but the Glock is only a little prettier (and still a pig)...

He's put 100 rounds a week through it, every week, for over a year now. 6000+ rounds, no issues whatsoever.

So it comes down to which would you rather have - a new Glock or a new HiPoint+ a case of ammo?

g_one
January 29, 2013, 04:17 PM
You'll find about as much hate for hi-points here as you'll find glock fanboys over on the glocktalk site. You'll also find that most of the hi-point hate is little more than because it's the in-thing to do.

They're ugly. Hideous, actually. I'd never be caught at the range with one.
Having said that, if you can get past how ugly they are, they're not bad guns. Not as reliable as Glock or a well-built AK, but certainly more reliable than some others, and much moreso if you clean/lubricate them properly. If all you've got is $150-$200 and you don't want to buy a Used gun? Hi-point all the way. Doesn't matter if a 9mm bullet is coming out of a $5,000 Wilson Combat or a $150 piece of plastic - it's still a 9mm headed in the direction of your attacker, which is a hell of a lot better than a baseball bat.

chris in va
January 29, 2013, 04:28 PM
Take that $200, save another $300 for that 75 again.

CajunBass
January 29, 2013, 07:08 PM
I bought one (9mm) several years ago. Shot the snot out of it for a while. It jammed a few times, but nothing to worry too much about. Clear the stopage and go back to shooting. I didn't have any trouble hitting what I shot at with it.

Kept it several years. Sold it not long ago when I reduced my inventory, for not much less than I paid for it in the first place.

Not bad really.

montanaoffroader
January 29, 2013, 09:13 PM
I would not hesitate to buy one for a range toy, but if I were looking for a self defense gun I would try for something a bit better. The Hi Points are built to a price point, and are a pretty good value for what they are, IMO.

The ones I have used were reasonably reliable and fun to shoot. I have heard horror stories about them, but I haven't experienced them firsthand.

As a carry gun, your Taurus seems like a better bet. I like the Hi Points, but not as a primary defense weapon. YMMV.

JVaughn
January 29, 2013, 09:17 PM
I have one, never fired it. I picked it up secondhand on the cheap. I figure in the uncertain future it may be good for trading, and for the now it isn't eating anything.

meanmrmustard
January 29, 2013, 09:20 PM
I know I chimed in already, but I gotta say again:

For $200...GET A CZ82!!!!:D

golfer_ray
January 29, 2013, 10:59 PM
I don't have one, but have a friend at work whose house was broken into with no one home & they stole his pistols & shotguns. Until insurance pays up, money was tight so he bought a .45 model. He took his concealed carry class this past weekend and some were laughing at his pistol until they got to the shooting part, & he shot the heart of the target. They became very quiet then. He showed me pics of the target & it was pretty impressive.

rtz
January 29, 2013, 11:27 PM
Nut says it's "freakin accurate":

tkq7WdB-0LA

powwowell
January 29, 2013, 11:27 PM
I have owned C9s and the 9mm carbines. They are guilty of being large and heavy. Maybe even ugly. The older carbine designs were called "Planet of the Apes" guns. I didn't sell mine because there was something wrong with them. I became a gun snob.

At one time, I was sure that my C9 could shoot with any other pistol out there. Maybe so? Today, when I replay my experiences with the Hi-Points, I have a lot more respect for them, far different than the period of time, when I was a gun snob. If this is the best you can buy, or if it's what you choose to buy, then buy 'em, keep 'em lubed and shoot the fire out of them

USAF_Vet
January 30, 2013, 12:00 AM
My first hand gun was a Hi Point .45, and it was heavy, ugly, and completely reliable. Not a single issue with any ammo I shot through it. The safety was a piece of junk, but overall I had no complaints. It's a stepping stone gun. When I could afford better, I bought better. I would not hesitate to recommend a Hi Point to someone on a serious budget and a home defense need.
Now, the .380 is absurdly big when compared to other guns in be same caliber. Same goes for the 9mm. An 8 shot single stack 9mm should be a pocket gun, not a behemoth. But the .40 and .45, while large tend to perform better, at least in my limited experience. I hear more issues occur in the smaller frame guns.

The carbines are a similar story. I had the 9mm carbine and it was paper plate accurate at 100 yards. It handled well, shouldered well, was accurate enough and are anything I fed it. The carbines are in a completely different league. They are well worth the money. Their only downsides are the lack of hi cap mags and mine was prone to rust. The receiver cover would rust in a heartbeat. I somewhat regret selling it.

MarshallDodge
February 2, 2013, 12:15 PM
Just from curiosity, Marshal Dodge, what caliber Hi-Points seem to give the most trouble, and what kind of trouble -jams, failure to feed, misfires?

I don't see a lot of 45ACP models but the issues I see are with the 380 and 9mm versions. Mostly failures to feed or eject. Two breakages that I have seen are a C9 that started to double (two shots with one pull of the trigger) and another that had a broken firing pin.

Gun Nuts Media did a Hi Point test not long ago-
Start (http://gunnuts.net/2012/08/27/the-hi-point-challenge/)

Completed (http://gunnuts.net/2012/10/11/the-hi-point-challenge-completed/)

WoodchuckAssassin
February 2, 2013, 12:28 PM
I shot one about a year ago in .45. There were no FTF, but every 2nd or 3rd shot would miss the paper by over a foot. Nothing I would ever spend my money on.

miles1
February 2, 2013, 02:30 PM
I shot a friends C9 once last year and all i can say is i had no problems after 50 rounds.Was more accurate that i thought and not one FTF or FTE.For the price i think they are worth it IMHO.

snooperman
February 2, 2013, 04:51 PM
Heck for $100 more you can get a very good Ruger P95 or S&W Sigma which are very reliable and accurate. Also will be worth more if you decide to sell later on. Just a thought.

beatledog7
February 2, 2013, 05:35 PM
...every 2nd or 3rd shot would miss the paper by over a foot

If you missed the paper, how do you know by how much?

Frankly, I believe Hi-Point pistols are an example of engineering and marketing genius.

Take a design (straight blowback) that's inherently accurate and cheap to produce, but not supposed to be capable of operating reliably in a cartridge more powerful than .380, make it work anyway, sell it at a price point that makes many shooters want to buy two and store them loaded in a hole in the back yard and in their spare tire well for whatever might happen, and you've really got hold of a market.

I don't know how many they've sold, but I've never heard anyone complain in person (everything gets trashed on the Internet) about any aspect of the guns except that they're not works of art. But for their aforementioned uses, who cares? If I needed guns for these purposes, I'd buy Hi-Points. If I were going to create a neighborhood/trusted friends arsenal, I'd buy Hi-Points.

KAS1981
February 2, 2013, 05:35 PM
I had a .45. It was my first handgun. I paid around $135 or so back in 2003.

People say they are heavy, but they are not really. The .45 weighs a couple ounces less than a 1911. They are just unbalanced and awkward feeling due to the very heavy slide. They are ugly. The trigger stinks. They are not easy to take apart.

Mine was plenty accurate and never malfunctioned in the couple hundred rounds I fired through it. I have nicer guns now, but I wish I had never got rid of the Hi-Point. It would be cool to own just as a novelty now, if anything.

rtz
February 2, 2013, 05:53 PM
I never knew different models were made in different places: http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/contact/contact.html

1911 guy
February 3, 2013, 03:26 PM
Ugly. Top heavy. Bad trigger. Rudimentary sights. Mostly plastic. But they are reliable as a ball bat and inexpensive. I'd far rather someone buy a Hi-Point than go unarmed. If it's the best you can do right now, get it. Don't be unarmed due to gun-snobbery.

I won't own one because I have other options. Take away those options and I'll be shopping for a Hi-Point.

Onward Allusion
February 3, 2013, 05:02 PM
Heh, haven't seen one of these threads in a while. Everybody's been focused on the 2013 panic and AWB. They aren't range toys and aren't carry guns. Home defense, sure. They work, but require a little bit of break-in. For less than $200, there aren't a lot of selections out there on a new gun.

Personally, I'd get one of those Armscor 6-shot in 38spl revolvers for the around same price. No break-in needed, either they work or don't. No need to spend another $100 for ammo to break in, either.

mr.trooper
February 3, 2013, 07:07 PM
They work just fine ... but as others have stated, they lack most of the other attributes that make a great pistol. They suffer from a serious lack of refinement, but if you just want to sling lead on the cheap, they are great for that.

I really wish they would bring back the factory compensator models in 9mm and 380 - One of those with the cheezy NcStar laser would be too ghetto fabulous to pass up.

mljdeckard
February 3, 2013, 07:13 PM
I can't say they don't work, because they do. But they aren't particularly enjoyable to shoot. (To me at least.)

Look at it this way. If they were so great, why are most people still paying much more for other pistols?

Aceoky
February 3, 2013, 07:56 PM
Over the years I have owned several from .380,- 9mm and they were all accurate and went bang when I hit the switch.
Were they on par with my 1911 no , not even my Ruger P-89 the price was right and if I had been smart and kept a couple they would be good to place in well hidden but easy to access spots around the house now that all the kids are grown and moved away.
Having let a whole bunch of folks shoot them, they won't tolerate limp writing well in general, otherwise they do exactly what they should do. YMMV

ares338
February 3, 2013, 09:57 PM
Say what you want about Hi Point pistols but I am sending off my XDs tomorrow which broke a slide lock lever and I am still shooting my Hi Point 40 S&W pistol. I love my XDs but it is down and out.

rtz
February 3, 2013, 10:05 PM
I wonder if the hipoints could be refined? Maybe smaller, lighter, not need that roll pin driven out for take down? Could the trigger be smoothed out?

If the slide was made out of a different material so it could be smaller? The barrel is pretty decent?

Lifetime warranty, +P rated, can be had new for near $100.. Made in Ohio.

mljdeckard
February 3, 2013, 11:19 PM
The slide is so massive because it has to be. They are blowback operated, they need that much mass to operate.

Onward Allusion
February 3, 2013, 11:37 PM
rtz
I wonder if the hipoints could be refined? Maybe smaller, lighter, not need that roll pin driven out for take down? Could the trigger be smoothed out?

If the slide was made out of a different material so it could be smaller? The barrel is pretty decent?

If they MKS Supply made a Hi Point in 22LR at the HP price point of ~$175, they would sell 100,000 of them in 1 year.

DeadFlies
February 4, 2013, 07:57 AM

People have replaced the roll pin with a screw. It can be done. I did a trigger job on my C9; it's shorter, smoother and lighter but still not great.

If you like to tinker with your guns then a Hi-Point will bring you endless hours of shadetree gunsmithing fun. I love taking mine apart and trying to make it better. It's cheaper and more fun than watching TV.

pockets
February 4, 2013, 08:40 AM
I also bought a C9 a few years ago out of curiosity.
It was ugly, a tad bulky, a bit heavy, and the sights could have been better.......BUT.......It functioned 100% on any 9x19 that I put in the magazine and hit what I aimed at.
Are there better guns available? Sure. But they fill a need and are lovingly built in America by Ohioans.

foghornl
February 5, 2013, 08:32 AM
I don't own any Hi-Point arms, but through the courtesy of my informal Shooting Budds (we call ourselves 'The Cheap Galoots') I have shot most of the Hi-Point offerings in both pistols and carbines.

My impressions: Pig-butt-stuck-in-a-mud-fence ugly, but goes Bang! on request every time, and puts the lead where you aim, or Hi-Point fixes it free. If approximate $200 for a handgun or under $400 for a carbine was all I had to spend, sure.

meanmrmustard
February 5, 2013, 05:24 PM
People have replaced the roll pin with a screw. It can be done. I did a trigger job on my C9; it's shorter, smoother and lighter but still not great.

If you like to tinker with your guns then a Hi-Point will bring you endless hours of shadetree gunsmithing fun. I love taking mine apart and trying to make it better. It's cheaper and more fun than watching TV.
Be cool if one could find a tiny hitch pin to fit in place of the roll pin, but I'm not certain one is made that small. Plus, it might snag and come out.

I tried. Well, tried to give a suggestion.

I've owned one. They ain't bad. I'd rather a CZ82 in that price range.

HKGuns
February 5, 2013, 05:32 PM
I have zero experience with High Point's, but I know you generally get what you pay for......There is a law of diminishing returns as well.

That being said, there really is no such thing as a bad pistol or rifle and "any" pistol or rifle is better than "no" pistol or rifle.

If that is what you can afford I would imagine you or most anyone else who buys them puts them to good use and they must sell more than enough to stay in business.

dcar_roll
February 6, 2013, 07:28 PM
Have one in 9mm and one in 40s&w. Both go bang when I pull the trigger and hit where aimed.

allin
February 7, 2013, 05:30 AM
Hi
I own a c9 and have had it for 5 years. Never a problem with it. It is not a "braggin rights" piece while at the range, but I know quite a few others who own and shoot them. The people who actually own and shoot them are very happy with these guns overall. I also have a Taurus PT 92 9mm, and a XDm 3.8 9mm. All of these are more accurate than I am and are fun to shoot. Currently the XDm is my favorite when going to the range. I used it for the CCW qualifying class and had not problems, used it simply because it was new and cool to show the others in the class. My c9 would have done a great job also. The c9, for some strange reason, has ergonomics that suit me better than most of my other handguns. I have about 12 in various calibers nad types, revolvers and semi autos. The closest gun for "feel" to me is the XDm as far as the c9 ergonomics go. Most of the semi autos I have seen have a similar look so I am not sold on the c9 being ugly. It does look functional and is.
Just my 2 cents.

Deen Macheen
February 7, 2013, 05:41 AM
I've had 2. Liked them both. Sold the 45 ACP to a buddy who still shoots it. I still own the C9 9mm. Don't like that it won't handle hp loads, but I shoot LRN through it and it works just fine. That's why this is America. If you don't like it, don't buy it. If others buy it, don't deigrate them.

I would support anyone with a Hi Point that wanted to learn to shoot it before helping out any lefty who wanted to ban hi cap magazines. Let's keep the energy and the fight pointed in the right direction. :D Anybody that wants to buy a gun and learn to shoot it is on the right side.

Airbrush Artist
February 7, 2013, 09:26 AM
The Most fun I ever had was with a UGLY Girl...

Kiln
February 7, 2013, 03:20 PM
Don't hand cycle live ammo through them. It isn't safe because of the design.

justice06rr
February 8, 2013, 02:53 AM
for around $200, I would rather go with a Keltec or Taurus instead of a Hipoint.

I have shot a friend's Hipoint C9. Although it worked for the most part, it was just bulky and unrefined. Trigger sucks and the build quality was not that great. His front sight fell off once so he had to call the manufacturer to send him a replacement.

Kiln
February 8, 2013, 03:53 AM
for around $200, I would rather go with a Keltec or Taurus instead of a Hipoint.

I have shot a friend's Hipoint C9. Although it worked for the most part, it was just bulky and unrefined. Trigger sucks and the build quality was not that great. His front sight fell off once so he had to call the manufacturer to send him a replacement.
Hell I've seen the front sight fall off of a Glock model 22 once myself so it happens to guns that cost more than $150 sometimes.

All firearm makers have lemons and for approximately 1/3 the cost of a Glock/XD, you've got to expect some minor issues.

In the end Hi Point pistols accomplish what they're being made for, identical to what the old H&R pistols were made for, which is giving broke working citizens the ability to own a gun.

If you've ever been so broke it was hard to put back $75, you can appreciate guns like the Raven MP25 or Hi Point line. If you've never been that broke, you'll probably never understand.

Onward Allusion
February 8, 2013, 10:56 AM
If you've ever been so broke it was hard to put back $75, you can appreciate guns like the Raven MP25 or Hi Point line. If you've never been that broke, you'll probably never understand.

Very well said. The thing about a HP is that they function as well as most guns. With FMJ, they are pretty much flawless operationally. With HP, sometimes a fluff & buff is needed. The biggest challenge I've heard about and experienced myself were with the magazines. Sometimes they need a little tweaking, but usually they just need to sit for a week days fully loaded to operate @ 100%.

USAF_Vet
February 8, 2013, 12:37 PM

Is the front sight fixed? As in molded into the slide? The .45 Hi Point I owned had a fixed front sight. The only way it could fall off is if it broke.

DeadFlies
February 8, 2013, 01:06 PM
Is the front sight fixed? As in molded into the slide? The .45 Hi Point I owned had a fixed front sight. The only way it could fall off is if it broke.

Yeah, I call shenanigans on that post too.

The front sight is part of the slide. It isn't a separate piece that can just fall off and Hi-Point can't just send you a replacement front sight. Rear sight, yes, but not the front one.

Texshooter
February 9, 2013, 10:24 PM
I bought one years ago just to see for myself.

Has sat in the safe for years.

Heavy and I hated to clean it BUT guess what?

It never once failed in any respect, not once.

As accurate as others, of course not.

But for some people (good, decent, hard working or out of work people) this is what they can afford.

How arrogant of some in our community to say - "well, just save up" THEY ALREADY HAVE SAVED UP AND THIS IS WHAT THEY COULD GET YOU JERKS.

This is not the best of our 2nd loving friends when we can not encourage others who want to exercise the same rights, and quite frankly, those doing it should be ashamed.

TheReiver
February 9, 2013, 10:27 PM
A pal has one and as ugly as it is he's never had a mechanical problem with it. The trigger sucks but meh. I actually like the sights.

I think the above post gave solid advice: save your pennies a bit longer and get a used poly pistol.

MarshallDodge
February 9, 2013, 11:55 PM
I bought one years ago just to see for myself.

Has sat in the safe for years.

Heavy and I hated to clean it BUT guess what?

It never once failed in any respect, not once.

As accurate as others, of course not.

But for some people (good, decent, hard working or out of work people) this is what they can afford.

How arrogant of some in our community to say - "well, just save up" THEY ALREADY HAVE SAVED UP AND THIS IS WHAT THEY COULD GET YOU JERKS.

This is not the best of our 2nd loving friends when we can not encourage others who want to exercise the same rights, and quite frankly, those doing it should be ashamed.

Nice rant. Very highroad of you.

Deer_Freak
February 10, 2013, 01:34 AM
I am a HI Point owner. I have had problems with the magazines dragging on the bottom of the slide. Just a few minutes with a file fixes that problem. I would recommend a Hi Point to a friend that needed a truck gun or a night stand gun. A gun that actually works for less than $200 is very hard to beat.

People that bash Hi Point products have most likely never owned one or they could not bash the guns in good conscience. Hi Points work and have a lifetime warranty. There is nothing to bash! To be frank if you threw a Glock and a Hi Point in a pile of cordless drills you would have a hard time finding either gun.

meanmrmustard
February 10, 2013, 06:28 AM
Nice rant. Very highroad of you.
What's not about it?

He's actually quite right, if not showing a little too much fervor in his overuse of capitalization. Last I've read, he's broken no rules.

If a new gun with a lifetime warranty that runs (solely on brass IME) and is at least combat accurate can be had by someone with low income, why not? I suggested milsurp pistols in that price range, most of which are underpowered compared to the Hi Point, and have no warranty.

It's easy to say "save up and hold out for more", but realization is that any gun is better than no gun, and a Hi Point is better than most in that logic of reasoning. While considered a "Saturday Night Special", I know many who'll not throw theirs away or sell. They love them.

s10ryan
February 10, 2013, 12:07 PM
ive had one for years...yes they are cheap but they accurate and dependable. even though they are heavy they are balanced well enough for great accuracy!

CajunBass
February 10, 2013, 04:30 PM

Amen this. I remember being so broke I couldn't afford a Raven, or a RG-22. And they sold for about $30.00 back then. :D

His front sight fell off once so he had to call the manufacturer to send him a replacement.

I think you might be confused here. As others have said, the front sight can't fall off. Maybe it was the rear one.

Either way, what does that prove? Back in the day, Colt Gold Cup, 1911's were famous for the front sight falling off. That doesn't mean Colt made bad guns.

Maybe smaller, lighter, not need that roll pin driven out for take down?

I guess I've just never understood peoples fastination with taking everything apart to clean it. Just spray some Gunscrubber on it and wipe what you can reach with a Q-tip and be done with it. :D And I didn't do that but so often.

steveb4c
February 10, 2013, 04:58 PM
bought a C9 years ago because i was broke, but wanted something around the house. never could get it to run right. sold it for a $10 loss and went out and picked up a new maverick 88 12ga. that worked much better. over the years i have bought better used guns for about the same price as new HP's.

TimboKhan
February 11, 2013, 11:19 PM
I have so broke that I almost moved into a homeless shelter back in 2000. I know what it's like to not be able to save money because there wasn't any to be saved.

Hi Points, for all the crap people give them, work. If you can afford a better gun, or if you can put some money away, they do that and buy a better gun. If you can't, a hi point will probably fill the bill for you.

And that is the end of this thread as it is showing all the tell tale signs of becoming another hi-point love/hate thread. Three pages of opinions are enough to get the basic message out. So, sorry people, but I am closing this before it becomes something nasty.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hi-Point pistols....love them, hate them? Your experience?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!