UPS Lost My Rifle!

PDA

braxton14
January 28, 2013, 11:24 PM
I can't catch a break...First the BATF gives me a week long colonoscopy because they didn't know the difference between a semi and full auto rifle, then when that's finally over, I find out that my Colt 9mm AR has been "lost." I won it on Gunbroker.com and was having it shipped from Oklahoma. Turns Out that when UPS was looking for my FFL "Florida Gun Center" the driver determined that the address on the box was wrong (it wasnt) and he was confused because the name of the company on the box was "FGC." I'd kind of understand if he shipped it back to the sender's FFL but he actually delivered it to a random address and someone signed for it!!!!! I looked up the address on google Maps and its a private company/ warehouse. I opened the investigation this weekend but UPS told me that it got to them on the morning of the 24th (Yes, my gun is God knows where in Miami)! I opened an investigation with them immediately and they are in the middle of figuring out how the <removed> and where it is. They are currently working with the shipper.

I kind of don't even want the gun anymore because I dont know where its been.

If you enjoyed reading about "UPS Lost My Rifle!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
black_powder_Rob
January 28, 2013, 11:28 PM
So what laws did the driver violate by delivering the package to a non-ffl person? Any bets on if they will face charges?

black_powder_Rob
January 28, 2013, 11:29 PM
And yeah it sucks that you can't catch a break.

InkEd
January 28, 2013, 11:40 PM
That's crazy. Better notify the loacl police too.

InkEd
January 28, 2013, 11:42 PM
Get a refund it should be possible and state you no longer want the gun. You should not be obligated since you never layed hands on it or signed for it. If its not recovered then the seller should be repayed by the shipping company.

gspn
January 28, 2013, 11:46 PM
Dude...no two ways about it...that sucks.

braxton14
January 28, 2013, 11:50 PM
I think tis is a sign that I need to slow down on the gun purchases (15th in 3 years) lol smh

oneounceload
January 28, 2013, 11:50 PM
Get a refund it should be possible and state you no longer want the gun. You should not be obligated since you never layed hands on it or signed for it. If its not recovered then the seller should be repayed by the shipping company.

That would depend on the FOB point

paintballdude902
January 28, 2013, 11:51 PM
crazy. i wonder if he delivered it to someone he knew.

a local guy was having a SCAR delivered and it was stolen en route. came off one truck, didnt get on the next...

JohnnyK
January 28, 2013, 11:54 PM
hope u had insurance for it... what a dumbass driver... i'd get an earfull if i delivered pizzas to the wrong address and just gave them the food... but to deliver a firearm to the wrong address... no bueno.

CLP
January 28, 2013, 11:58 PM
Ahh, front page fodder if ever there was such a thing.

Sorry about not getting your rifle too.

horsemen61
January 29, 2013, 12:00 AM
dude that blows

4v50 Gary
January 29, 2013, 12:14 AM
UPS used to be good in the '70s - '90s. No more. Registered mail is better.

soloban
January 29, 2013, 12:56 AM
The sending FFL will file a report with the ATF. They have a form specifically for firearms lost in commercial transit. Ask me how I know and why I will always ship via USPS from now on.

FiremanJim
January 29, 2013, 01:17 AM
Careful on using USPS too.

I just bought an HK P7 from a forum member here, and when his FFL shipped it to my FFL at a range down here, instead of taking it inside and having them sign for it like he was SUPPOSED to. He put it in their mailbox which is about 600 ft from them since the range is along a country road, AND LEFT IT THERE HANGING OUTSIDE THE MAILBOX FOR THE WHOLE WORLD TO SEE!

Fortunately, because I called them a few times and told them that the tracking number said that the package had been delivered, one of them went out finally and checked the mailbox.

Almost lost that gun just because the mailman screwed up.

Sorry for your luck buddy. hope something gets worked out for you soon.

DeepSouth
January 29, 2013, 01:30 AM
I need to sell you a luck rabbits foot, or something.

Powerglide
January 29, 2013, 06:26 AM
Well, they do screw up but these days, I am inclined to thank them for not quitting shipping guns.They are under pressure to do so from several groups.Thanks UPS!

mgkdrgn
January 29, 2013, 08:06 AM
The sending FFL will file a report with the ATF. They have a form specifically for firearms lost in commercial transit. Ask me how I know and why I will always ship via USPS from now on.
Oh ya, the Postal Service ... they NEVER lose anything ...

Deltaboy
January 29, 2013, 08:27 AM
That stinks I have gotten my stuff via all 3 shillings company's over the years and I have blessed to have some delays but nothing lost.

OilyPablo
January 29, 2013, 08:30 AM
Wow - yeah I'll bet "someone" signed for it. That does suck. Keep us posted.

As psychotic as USPS employees tend to be, they are all said and done, mainly just lazy. UPS drivers on the other hand can be downright weird and creepy. I've seen some very odd behavior over the years. Entering backyards to knock on sliding glass doors, climbing fences to purposely get bit by a dog to attempt a lawsuit, asking "What's in that box, a GUN or something", to purposely leaving boxes in the rain when a covered area is just two more feet.

Lex Luthier
January 29, 2013, 08:41 AM
My sympathies. However, a face to face transaction beats any other arrangement involving other people that have a high probability of screwing up all your good plans. Sorry dude.

I had an issue with UPS last year and they did nothing. Too many transactions in this Red Bull fueled world are designed to get it right the first time, and leave little motivation when things go wrong.

tarosean
January 29, 2013, 09:14 AM
Just so you dont think Fedex is infallible too.. This is the tracking info on my pistol.

Jan 28, 2013 3:05 PM

Delivered

TX

Left at garage. Package delivered to recipient address - release authorized

FiremanJim
January 29, 2013, 10:06 AM
LOL. Priceless.

gossamer
January 29, 2013, 12:00 PM
Just so you dont think Fedex is infallible too.. This is the tracking info on my pistol.
FedEx has been the worst for us, particularly FedEx Home Delivery. The driver failing to deliver is a matter of routine for my neighbors and I. I've been fortunate to have good experiences with UPS, but I make it a point to know the driver on my route by name so that might help.

Same with USPS.

NavyLCDR
January 29, 2013, 12:04 PM
So what laws did the driver violate by delivering the package to a non-ffl person? Any bets on if they will face charges?
How would the driver know that the package contained a gun?

Elkins45
January 29, 2013, 03:13 PM
I can't remember which carrier shipped my repaired pistol back for Glock, but they just left it on the porch. Granted I'm fairly rural, but my driveway is still attached to a public highway. Would hate to have explained that one!

USAF_Vet
January 29, 2013, 03:24 PM
How would the driver know that the package contained a gun?
Typically by the return address or the destination address.

If its being sent from Bob's gun shop to Fred's gun center, it doesn't take a genius to figure out a gun or gun related item is in the box.

oneounceload
January 29, 2013, 03:53 PM
If its being sent from Bob's gun shop to Fred's gun center, it doesn't take a genius to figure out a gun or gun related item is in the box.

Only morons would do that. When I ship guns i have sold, it is addressed to the buyer, Care of the gun store FFL's personal name with the street address - no mention of the store name on the label. Of course Fedex and UPS plug the address in and they can tell you the store name, but the drivers en route typically won't. They can't steal the gun out of the sort center, those folks go through a security check as bad as an airport, so the driver becomes the focus of the blame. I haven't had any issues with Fedex where I live, they are used to large volumes of guns moving through their small location.

At least both UPS and Fedex have thorough tracking, USPS does not

braxton14
January 29, 2013, 10:36 PM
I had the ATF agent that I had a run in with before apply pressure for me and she got to the bottom of it (She's actually very nice and helpful). Long story short, UPS picked up the package this morning and are holding it in their local Shipping Hub. They were going to send it back to the shipper but I told them that I'm going to try to get another FFL to accept it in the morning in order to avoid the extra back and forth shipping to him (The reason that FFL down here didnt accept it is because they don't except transfers from non FFLs..which they never told me). But before I have them do anything, I want to find out if the package was ever opened. If not, no problem.

Edit: the sender wants it sent to him first, then he'll send it to my new FFL to cover his a**

Cesiumsponge
January 29, 2013, 10:52 PM
Fedex uses contractors for ground service. The Fedex drivers in my area are fantastic. I've rarely had problems with USPS. UPS here stinks after a couple of good drivers left/transferred. I think it really depends on the types of people you have working your route, regardless of company.

Trent
January 30, 2013, 09:02 AM
I had FedEx leave 8 AK-47's and 20 Mosin Nagants on the front steps of my gun shop when I was at lunch once.

Just sitting there, traffic driving by, big boxes of guns propped against the wall.

I about crapped myself when I pulled up and saw the delivery sitting in the open.

candr44
January 30, 2013, 09:57 AM
Of course Fedex and UPS plug the address in and they can tell you the store name, but the drivers en route typically won't. They can't steal the gun out of the sort center, those folks go through a security check as bad as an airport, so the driver becomes the focus of the blame.

After working at a UPS sorting center I can tell you much of this is not true. Security is no where near the same level as an airport. They have more than one entrance/exit point but only one security check point for employees walking to and from the parking lot. The security cameras are also not hard for a truck loader to get past.

As for the drivers and people loading the trucks, they load the same truck and the drivers drive the same route everyday and are quite familiar with the business address' no matter what name you put on it. The drivers can also scan any address label and get the business name and address from it.

As for putting personal names on the label, that might be fine for a mom and pop operation but larger companies like Aim Surplus, Southern Ohio Guns, Century Arms don't put personal names on their return address. It wouldn't take a genius to figure out whats in the long box that weighs 6 to 10 pounds. The UPS driver who delivered boxes like that to my home address in my personal name certainly figured it out.

Bubbles
January 30, 2013, 10:00 AM
And here I thought it was bad to find USPS small FRB's stuffed into my mailbox. Signature required my Aunt Sally...

Jeff B.
January 30, 2013, 10:31 AM
Yeah, the shipper and box size/length have a lot to do wit it, especially when you consider that the drivers see all sorts of boxes and come to recognize certain styles.

Our FEDEX Express guy knows what's in the CMP boxes. When I got my first MCP M1, has asked me what kind of rifle I bought. During the conversation, he told me he'd delivered quite a few around town.

Jeff B.

radiotom
January 30, 2013, 10:36 AM
By me, UPS is good, Fedex is iffy, and USPS is downright atrocious. :fire:

hang fire
January 30, 2013, 02:45 PM
If there is a black hole in the USPS system, I suspect it is in Macon, GA, packages in transit go in, but do not come out.

Texshooter
January 30, 2013, 02:46 PM
I would trust anyone besides UPS to ship anything.

Run by libtard unionists.

Stevie-Ray
January 30, 2013, 06:37 PM
Oh ya, the Postal Service ... they NEVER lose anything ...Or STEAL anything. Like my free knife from the NRA. Got the package and it was carefully cut open and sealed back up with tape, but empty. Wrote the PG about that one.

oneounceload
January 30, 2013, 08:38 PM
After working at a UPS sorting center I can tell you much of this is not true. Security is no where near the same level as an airport. They have more than one entrance/exit point but only one security check point for employees walking to and from the parking lot. The security cameras are also not hard for a truck loader to get past.

I also worked at a sort center and you couldn't take anything in or out that wasn't thoroughly searched, including a metal detector. Having an FFL at the time, I recognized names like RSR,Davidsons, etc.
Anything getting stolen had to involve the delivery driver, not the folks inside the compound

OilyPablo
January 30, 2013, 09:50 PM
What does actually happen with all the missing USPS boxes, Mr OilyPablo?

Theft. No doubt about it. The mail centers are the worst.

If you enjoyed reading about "UPS Lost My Rifle!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!