Slide Fire Stock

PDA

bigdipper
January 29, 2013, 01:32 PM
I think im finally going to get one of these ive been wanting one for awhile. The link below is to the one i am going to get. I just have a few questions before i order. First im going to need to purchase a adjustable style buffer tube to fit it on right? And second it asks me what size i want either LH or RH and i have no clue what that means and i dont want to get the wrong size.
Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Slide Fire Stock" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ranger Roberts
January 29, 2013, 01:34 PM
LH or RH, right hand, left hand?

JonnyGringo
January 29, 2013, 01:41 PM
They are asking if you are a right handed or left handed shooter. If your Gun does not have a collapsible stock currently installed, then yes, you will need the adjustable buffer tube.

CLP
January 29, 2013, 01:50 PM
I think im finally going to get one of these ive been wanting one for awhile. The link below is to the one i am going to get. I just have a few questions before i order. First im going to need to purchase a adjustable style buffer tube to fit it on right? And second it asks me what size i want either LH or RH and i have no clue what that means and i dont want to get the wrong size.
Thanks
Best to get a Mil-spec buffer tube vs. the commercial since the diameter is a hair smaller and the stock will work better with it. LH vs RH is whether you shoot left or right handed as mentioned above. It works really well, but the novelty wears off quickly- especially at current prices regardless of whether you reload or not.

bigdipper
January 29, 2013, 02:09 PM
ok thanks guys that makes sence... duh

Acera
January 29, 2013, 03:05 PM
If you want it, get it quick. D.Fienstein mentioned them by name on a Sunday morning talk show this past weekend. (Can you guess she does not like them??).

I suspect that the supply will dry up quickly now................

jwh336
January 29, 2013, 03:37 PM
I'm sure the slide fire stock manufacturers are working long hours to get as many made as possible. I can see how they're a cool thing to own, but IMO they really serve no practical purpose. With ammo being a bit hard to come by, I certainly wouldn't waste any. But to each his own. Whenever I feel like firing an auto (not very often), I go to a local range that rents them.

TCBPATRIOT
January 30, 2013, 12:54 AM
This is my opinion is a better choice. http://fostechoutdoors.com/shop/catalog/defendar-15/defendar-15-12.html its made out of aluminum

cal30_sniper
January 30, 2013, 01:18 AM
I'm sorry, but how is this useful at all? As 2nd Amendment proponents, we take great issue with the anti's claim that semi-automatic rifles can easily be converted to full auto. While anyone with any knowledge understands that that is a technical impossibility, this stock design turns it into the practical equivalent of a full auto. What's the (non-technical) difference?

Not trying to start a flaming contest here, but why should we give the anti's any more ammo than they already have?

cyclopsshooter
January 30, 2013, 01:21 AM
Got one for my WASR and like it... Hmm.. maybe I should go burp my drum this weekend :)

Girodin
January 30, 2013, 01:27 AM
this stock design turns it into the practical equivalent of a full auto. What's the (non-technical) difference?

Anyone who thinks that must not have much time with a real select fire weapon and this stock.

This stock is good for shooting fast. It however, does not allow for any kind of accuracy anywhere near what can be done with a select fire weapon while shooting burst. I actually find them to be pretty worthless range toys that are not really like having a full auto at all. YMMV.

cal30_sniper
January 30, 2013, 01:30 AM
Anyone who thinks that must not have much time with a real select fire weapon and this stock.

This stock is good for shooting fast. It however, does not allow for any kind of accuracy anywhere near what can be done with a select fire weapon while shooting burst. I actually find them to be pretty worthless range toys that are not really like having a full auto at all. YMMV.

Agreed. I've spent time with an M16/M4, MP5, 240G, and interestingly enough, a Thompson on full auto. Never messed with one of these stock gimmicks or "bump firing" a semi-auto however.

Now, take a step back, and look at it from the anti's perspective. Most of them know very little about controllable auto fire. All they see is rate of fire. Again, there's very little difference in their eyes between a firearm that shoots as long as you hold the trigger down, and a firearm that pulls the trigger for you and shoots for as long as you hold the trigger down.

Justin
January 30, 2013, 01:31 AM
I'm sorry, but the Slide Fire stock is nothing more than a gimmick designed to separate idiots from their money.

cal30_sniper
January 30, 2013, 01:33 AM
Got one for my WASR and like it... Hmm.. maybe I should go burn my barrel this weekend :)

Fixed it for you. That's a great way to toast a rifle barrel.

chris in va
January 30, 2013, 03:26 AM
I saw a guy trying to use one at the range. He was having difficulty getting it to continually fire. I can think of many other doodads to buy than a $400 bump stock.

Sambo82
January 30, 2013, 04:26 AM
Well, I've got to play with full auto plenty in my five years in the Marine Corps, and I can say the slidefire is a pretty faithful recreation. Its easy to use and yes, its actually quite accurate (as far as full auto goes, if you maintain trigger control). Here's me firing it for the very first time. I simply read the instructions, then tried a burst and a mag dump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKMqQPSufAQ

And IMO, yes, it can confuse the know nothings about semi autos and full autos, which is why I love it. It's the free market coming up with a workaround to oppressive gun laws, the same way now I can print ar 15 mags from my house. It illustrates how truly futile efforts are at banning something. It shows that making a law against something, and actually making that something dissapear from reality are two different things:)

justice06rr
January 30, 2013, 06:18 AM
I'm sorry, but the Slide Fire stock is nothing more than a gimmick designed to separate idiots from their money.

Well, if you got the money and ammo to burn...

Frankly what one does with their own money is their business. Some people have safes with way too many firearms. I don't see why a $400 device would compare to the thousands of dollars they already spent on other guns.

I'm neutral on the topic of the Bump-fire stock. If you can afford it and have the $$/ammo, go ahead. If someone doesn't like it, no one is forcing them to buy one.

MtnCreek
January 30, 2013, 09:15 AM
They're like horses. Fun for a little while, but you don't want to have to feed them. I wish my neighbors would get some horses, then I could get rid of mine.... I suggest you convince one of your shooting buddies he has to get one of these stocks before they’re outlawed. :)

Sam1911
January 30, 2013, 09:47 AM
As 2nd Amendment proponents, we take great issue with the anti's claim that semi-automatic rifles can easily be converted to full auto. While anyone with any knowledge understands that that is a technical impossibility, this stock design turns it into the practical equivalent of a full auto. What's the (non-technical) difference? As 2nd Amendment proponents, we know and support that a prohibition on citizens owning full-auto weapons (the same weapons our military uses) is completely anathema to the purpose of the 2nd Amendment (see the Miller (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Miller) decision from back in 1939).

So, anything that is technically lawful which might bring us closer to similarity with proper 2nd-Amendment relevant weapons should be embraced and lauded.

Now, the technical merits of the Slidefire type stocks I can't comment on as I've not used one. If they are a controllable and reasonable similar substitute for a select-fire capability, more power to them!

jmorris
January 30, 2013, 10:21 AM
The slide fire cost too much for what it is, let alone the $500 one above.

If you just want to convert money into noise this seems like a good way to go.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/571714_Homemade_Bump_fire_stock.html

Cryogaijin
February 8, 2013, 06:17 PM
Now, the technical merits of the Slidefire type stocks I can't comment on as I've not used one. If they are a controllable and reasonable similar substitute for a select-fire capability, more power to them! They aren't. At least not on the two Saigas I've used mine on.

I put mine on a Saiga 12, and it worked fine when loaded with buck, but didn't like birdshot anywhere near as much. (I really need to do some adusting on my gas system. . . or just stick with buckshot) Doing bursts of 3 rounds it is ALMOST controllable, but doing anything more than that will push you around. Single fire with the stock isn't easy, simply due to the finger rest blocking easy manipulation of the trigger. Also the stock is a bit too short for me, so I might look into a thick recoil pad to add some inches. (I have a big tromix shark break on my s12, so its recoil is actually quite tame.)

On my s.308 it is about the same. . . short bursts are decentish, but as you have no spread it really isn't terribly functional.

Still a fun way to blow a couple hundred dollars in ammo. . .

jad0110
February 8, 2013, 08:32 PM
Not trying to start a flaming contest here, but why should we give the anti's any more ammo than they already have?

When it comes to guns and accessories, the antis have and will always manufacture their own ammo. IMHO, how we conduct ourselves (being firm in our convictions while remaining curteous and professional versus coming across as angry, spiteful morons) is another matter.

aubie515
February 9, 2013, 12:02 PM
I know that THR does not like survival type threads, but SF IMO has a use. If someone cannot understand that SF has a use...then I don't know how to "convince" the person. While the usage is limited, I'd say SF can be used very well. You can control SF much better than FA since you can use it for burst.

The FA owners say it's not the same thing because most of the FA owners need to "justify" their $15k purchase.

Sam1911
February 9, 2013, 12:21 PM
We aren't a survivalist forum, but we are interested in all practical applications of firearms. If you can explain how a bump-fire stock helps you in a survival situation, that would be perfectly acceptable. Most deep survival type guys talk about the utility of simple .22 LR type guns as quiet small-game getters. Most military/tactical shooters talk about the value of fast aimed semi-auto shots. Many soldiers talk about the utility of having full-atuo/burst (as separate from crew-served or SAW functions) for very limited battlefield uses mostly as last-ditch response to a position being overrun.

Is there some function I'm missing that a survivalist would use to justify the usefulness of simulated full-auto fire? Going "cyclic" would seem to indicate that their survival plans have come to a disastrous conclusion.

wally
February 9, 2013, 12:32 PM
It shows that making a law against something, and actually making that something disappear from reality are two different things

I'd have thunk cocaine, heroin, etc. would have already proved the point, not to mention alcohol prohibition.

Great marketing to get Fienstein to mention it!

Lloyd Smale
February 9, 2013, 07:30 PM
I cant see why a guy has to have a pratical application for everything. Most everyone that badmouths a slidefire stock has never owned one and has probably never even shot one. Im 57 years old and i have one and its a ball to shoot. Ive yet to see anyone ive had with me shoot in without a big smile on there face and if there was ever a practical application for a firearm to me its putting a smile on my face of someone elses. Every time i take my 458 out im not shoot elephants and every time i take a 257 wby out im not shooting deer at 500 yards. Everytime i take my 500 linebaughs out im not slaying dinasours. What I am doing in each of these cases is having a good time.

Fleetman
February 9, 2013, 08:02 PM
Wow, this was scary Lloyd Smale....I have the SF's for and AR and AK and experience the same smiles from people that shoot with me.....we also shoot .458 Lott on a regular basis. I'm also 57 years old....are you sure you're not me OR I'm not you??

Nah, I'm positive we're different people since I don't have any Linebaughs or Weatherby calibers....we DO shoot .50BMG though.

I, personally, don't care if other people don't like the SF's...I'm a collector and collect all things guns....besides, they WILL probably be banned eventually so I'm glad I got them when I did.

Enjoy your shooting my friend and I'm glad there's at least two of us in this world!

wally
February 9, 2013, 08:47 PM
Lloyd Smale & Fleetman I'll third what you've said I've the AR and AK slidefires and they are fun. If tuning money into noise was not serious fun that put smiles on people's faces, we'd never have fireworks shows!

If you can explain how a bump-fire stock helps you in a survival situation, that would be perfectly acceptable.

I've mentioned this before in other slidefire threads, but in a TEOTWAWKI situation a few bursts from a slidefire could make the Goblins think you have full auto and plenty of ammo! and thus move on to potentially easier pickings.

XD 45acp
February 9, 2013, 08:54 PM
Ain't this the stock that Peirs Morgan said during the Nugent interview can fire a hundred rounds a second?? Gotta be true, Peirs said so.... HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

saltydog
February 10, 2013, 09:00 AM
I too have SF on my AK and AR15! Loads of fun! And yes, I'll be 60 years old in 2 months. I legally own a select fire MAC10/45, it is fun also! Bought it back in 1980 cheap...:D

AND,

I like to spend money on things like SF because I have money to burn!:D

jmorris
February 10, 2013, 10:08 AM
I'd say SF can be used very well. You can control SF much better than FA since you can use it for burst. Sounds like you may have never shot a machine gun but they all stop shooting when you let off the trigger. Even with the very fast ones over 1000rpm 3 shot bursts are possible.

The reason you can control machine guns better than the slide fire is because the rifle doesn't have to be in free recoil except for your arm that is moving it back and forth.

If tuning money into noise was not serious fun that put smiles on people's faces, we'd never have fireworks shows! A few years ago my mother in law had come down for our annual 4th of July cookout and fireworks show, stayed the night and was at our machine gun shoot the next day. When she asked "what are those good for" I reminded her of how everyone had such a good time watching the fireworks last night and pointed at a pile of ashes where all of the left over firework trash had been burned and told her that was all that was left from $2500. With the machine guns we would go through less money in more time and still have everything except the powder, primer and bullets to take home and do it again.

Donut Destroyer
February 10, 2013, 03:58 PM
I'm sorry, but how is this useful at all? As 2nd Amendment proponents, we take great issue with the anti's claim that semi-automatic rifles can easily be converted to full auto. While anyone with any knowledge understands that that is a technical impossibility, this stock design turns it into the practical equivalent of a full auto. What's the (non-technical) difference?

Converting a semi-automatic anything into full auto is not a technical impossibility with the right know-how, skill and equipment. The main non-technical difference is simply the mechanism. A slide fire doesn't change how the gun works. The trigger still has to be pulled each time. The HellFire was the same. No modifications to the firing mechanism.

xfyrfiter
February 10, 2013, 04:08 PM
The gatling crank for the paired 10-22 is a blast in more ways than one lol.

hueyville
February 10, 2013, 04:15 PM
Purchased two of the afore mentioned units. May buy more if found at a deal or already installed on a rifle someone needs to turn into cash quickly. Installed them, tested, grinned and then put them up for a rainy day. I don't need six motorcycles as my wife can only ride one each at a time. I don't need most of my toys but I do enjoy them.

rugerman
February 10, 2013, 04:26 PM
So thats where all the ammo is going!

Zardaia
February 10, 2013, 04:28 PM
Pretty much a gimmick. If you got the money for all the goodies you want then more power to u and have fun. For anyone working on a tighter budget, I'd find a better use for the money.

saltydog
February 10, 2013, 05:15 PM
So thats where all the ammo is going!

I'm still running on those 1600 round cases of Norinco 5.56 I bought in the early 90's :D

Slidefire = Fun! :evil:

Lloyd Smale
February 11, 2013, 05:13 PM
Pretty much a gimmick. If you got the money for all the goodies you want then more power to u and have fun. For anyone working on a tighter budget, I'd find a better use for the money. because you cant aford one or cant afford to buy the ammo doesnt make it a gimmick. Last i looked i cant afford a new harley or a new porche either but that sure doesnt mean there a gimmic and everyone should drive a prius!

Sam1911
February 11, 2013, 07:00 PM
Lloyd, I don't think those two comments were supposed to be so directly related. He's not saying it's a gimmick because it costs a lot to own and run. I think he's saying it is a gimmick AND it costs a lot to own and run.

A slight difference of just one word, but it changes the meaning in significant ways.

Fleetman
February 11, 2013, 07:59 PM
the same logic applies to laser sights.....they aren't cheap and MAY allow someone to shoot better so they could be considered a gimmick and they do cost a lot...comparatively speaking when looking at CT grips or a Tasco red dot sight.

Not everyone can afford what everyone else has or even wants. Me? I want gun stuff and buy whatever I can afford....when I can't afford it then I don't buy it.

I'm certainly not trying to start an argument in here....I have SF's on MY firearms because I like them....are they practical? Nope! But neither is my .50BMG, or .458 Lott, or Remington 700 .338 Win Mag, or Marlin 336 .30-30, or Ruger 10-22, or Crosman .177 pellet gun, and on and on and on. I say this because I don't hunt (thus the reason I brought up the Marlin) but I do like to target shoot, I have my own range, and a herd of grandchildren that learned to shoot safely and enjoy it tremendously.

Okiegunner
February 11, 2013, 11:14 PM
Like a few of you other fellas who have posted, I'm also an old guy. The slide-fire is actually reasonably controlable with a little bit of practice and shorter bursts. It is also a whole hell of a lot of fun!!

It would be a little rich for my blood for an AR right now though. However on a 74' shooting old Soviet spam can stuff, its a blast (ok...pun intended). Wish I had one for one of my ARs (if I could afford to shoot the ammo). One of my ARs is HBAR and would seem to be just right for SF.

To each his own.

Lloyd Smale
February 12, 2013, 07:59 AM
I guess sam i look at it like this. Because i dont need a gps in my truck is it a gimmic? because any deer on the planet can be shot with a 243 is a 7mag a gimmic? Because a 3030 winchester can defend your family is an ar a gimmic? I look at it this way. I cant afford the 30k it cost for a class 3 gun. Just isnt happening. For about 300 i can go out and have a little fun when the mood strikes me and can do it without having to get the federal goverment involved in my life. Ive probably have 50k into loading gear and double that into guns. What the hell is 300 bucks to have a little fun once in a while. Im sure not one of those dreamers that thinks its going to be used for some sort of stupid zombie attack. What its used for is having fun and it does that just fine in my book and is well worth the 300 bucks it cost for that fun. I kind of chuckle at guys who think that because they cant handle or dont need a mag rifle someone else who does is stupid or a knuckle dragger. Or think the same of me because i like shooting my 475 and 500 linebaughs and even shooting little deer with them because they dont. Same goes here. If you dont want one fine, dont buy one but why badmouth something because it doesnt fit into your idea of what makes sense.

[QUOTE][Lloyd, I don't think those two comments were supposed to be so directly related. He's not saying it's a gimmick because it costs a lot to own and run. I think he's saying it is a gimmick AND it costs a lot to own and run.

A slight difference of just one word, but it changes the meaning in significant ways./QUOTE]

brian923
February 12, 2013, 10:56 AM
its the beauty of being an ameriCAN. you dont NEED a reason to buy anything. this is like getting mad at people for buying a $100, 000+ super car. because 99% of the owners never use them to their potential. but some buy a $35, 000 used corvette and do.... its what seperates us from the rest of the world.

ill never have one, but thats because I dont have money to burn :(

BP Hunter
February 12, 2013, 01:27 PM
Sounds like alot of fun. I was even thnking of getting one. But ammo alone is so hard to get and burning through 30 rounds in 2 seconds isn't my type of fancy now.

WALKERs210
February 12, 2013, 01:46 PM
Last year I bit the bullet and bought one for the AK direct from manufacturer. It was one of those things that worked but didn't work, sometimes it would fire consistently then next time only one or two rounds was all it would do. As for control this one was more of the spray and pray type application. Got rid of it and very happy that I didn't loose money on the deal, several months later I did a trade for one that worked on the AR platform. From the first to the last round it preformed perfectly, control was no problem and I could keep rounds inside a 5-6 inch space with no problem. I did sell it because I totaled up the number of rounds fired in 30-40 seconds and at this time I see no need for it just from that monetary aspect. If I still had my loading setup most likely I would still have the slide fire stock. Is it a novelty ?? Yes and No. but to each their own.

Jackal
February 12, 2013, 02:05 PM
I personally think the Slide Fire is a poorly made gimmick. I see zero point to bump firing in the first place. I doubt one could accurately place 3rds into a torso sized target at 25 yards or farther using this device.

However, I do think that full auto should be 50 state legal for anyone over 21 and legally able to own firearms. :D

taliv
February 12, 2013, 04:51 PM
local gun store sells slidefire stocks like hotcakes.

i'll be the last one to discourage someone from having fun, but the first one to non-concur with someone who thinks slidefire is effective for any practical use.

mgmorden
February 12, 2013, 05:07 PM
Sounds like you may have never shot a machine gun but they all stop shooting when you let off the trigger. Even with the very fast ones over 1000rpm 3 shot bursts are possible.

Yep - a friend of mine brought a full-auto SMG out to the range one day (a MAC10). Took me a while to actually fire more than TWO shots. I was so afraid of it spraying bullets that when I'd press the trigger I'd inevitably end up letting to of it after a 2 round burst. Eventually we did load up a magazine just to shoot till empty.

Fun experience, but not terribly useful to me even as a "real" full-auto. Still, I'll admit that I'm personally not one to harp on something needed a purpose to own. Some things are just for fun, and if anyone wants to order a slide-fire then have at it.

Lloyd Smale
February 13, 2013, 08:04 AM
ive shot both slide fire and true full auto guns and with a bit a practice in my opinion the slidefire if anything is easier to keep on target. you need to hold back on the forearm to make it work. With a forward pistol grip you naturaly tend to hold the barrel down once youve practiced with it a bit. Most who shoot a full auto gun tend to have the barrel pointed at the sky after about 3 rounds. Where the full auto really shines over the bump fire stock is it takes alot less thinking and less motor skills to shoot. I really dont feel theres a place for a bump fire stock in combat or self defense. Not to many are going to have the presence of mind to use it reliably in the heat of a fire fight. but i dont see anyone anywhere claiming thats what they bought one for. there bought to have fun with and they do good at that.

jmorris
February 13, 2013, 10:14 AM
I really hate the "need" or "usefull" arguments. It's that kind of talk that gets some news guy/gal saying "even x% of NRA members agree on more gun control."

Tempest 455
February 13, 2013, 08:50 PM
On a MP15-22, it's a cheap way to "simulate" full auto fun for a fraction of the price of .223. My son loves it! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpRVNiUgcCw

justice06rr
February 13, 2013, 10:28 PM
I personally think the Slide Fire is a poorly made gimmick. I see zero point to bump firing in the first place. I doubt one could accurately place 3rds into a torso sized target at 25 yards or farther using this device.

I think you may be confused on the purpose of such devices/firearms.

A bump-fire device or a full-auto machine gun are not intended for accuracy to begin with. They are used for sending a whole lot of rounds downrange; a full-auto machine gun is actually used primarily for cover fire.

If you want accuracy, you obviously stick to semi-auto or bolt-action.

soonerfan85
February 13, 2013, 11:25 PM
Not trying to insult anyone, but how can you say the SF stock is a gimmick, a waste of money or serves no purpose if you've never shot one? That's not unlike the gun grabbers who have never held a firearm telling us we don't need a handgun or semi auto rifle.

I've had a SF stock on my Ruger for about two years and it's a lot of fun if used properly. If used in conjunction with a Magpul AFG and the correct grip, it works pretty well. Three or four round bursts are easily controlled with a little practice. I promise you CAN hit torso sized targets at 25 yds. with some practice. Dump a full 30 rd mag and you'll be shooting holes in the ozone. The only complaint I have is the original SF stock is butt ugly, and the new design is not much better.

I'm don't regret at all spending $340 on the SFS.

That's her in the middle.
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k5/triumphdaytonafan/DSC01811_zpsa0ae2029.jpg

herkyguy
February 14, 2013, 09:57 AM
You have every right to one if that's your cup of tea.

I would argue though that owners should be "aware" of the implications of posting videos online of dumping 30 rounds downrange from the hip. This is where the anti's gin up all the fear and nonsense about spraying from the hip.

Tempest 455
February 14, 2013, 10:16 AM
Where is a video on this thread from the hip?

saltydog
February 14, 2013, 06:11 PM
With all do respect, the anti gun crowd isn't going to stop their cause no matter what fuel is thrown in the fire. :barf:

Slide fire stocks have their place with the shooting crowd and alot of people enjoy using them in the shooting sports.:D

If you enjoyed reading about "Slide Fire Stock" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!