Why is there a shortage on 22lr?

PDA

Russ Jackson
January 29, 2013, 02:42 PM
I can understand the military calibers. But 22lr can someone explain?

If you enjoyed reading about "Why is there a shortage on 22lr?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
silicosys4
January 29, 2013, 02:45 PM
panic, pure and simple.

RCArms.com
January 29, 2013, 02:46 PM
Because Centerfire dried up sonquick and got so expensive, 22lr is a cost effective method to keep your skills sharp.

I enjoy 22LR more and more these days as my kids are getting into target shooting with me these days.

Russ Jackson
January 29, 2013, 02:56 PM
$39.99 blazer 525 value pack....lol
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/45826

Spammy_H
January 29, 2013, 02:58 PM
Not to mention it's made out of brass, lead and powder, just like centerfire ammo. The priming compound is the only different component.

If there's a run on ammo, it's going to affect all of it. Component shortages are universal.

wooly bugger
January 29, 2013, 03:10 PM
In my case, it's because I order match ammo from Midway. If in the near future, I need to pay an FFL + NICS fee, it's going to get quite expensive. Basically a $50-75 dollar surcharge on every purchase. Even worse if they start tracking quantity, as they're doing in NYS to flag excessive stockpiling, without defining what constitutes excessive stockpiling. It's 1984 in NYS.

I don't shoot odd calibers, but if I did, it would be the exact same situation. Good luck finding 32-40 WCF at your LGS.

My fervent hope is that if this comes to pass, which is likely in my home state, FFLs will go easy on us and charge a reduced fee for ammo purchases.

slamfirev10
January 29, 2013, 03:13 PM
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/45826

you can buy these and flip them for at least a 25% profit at any gun show with no problem..... i'm just sayin'

izhevsk
January 29, 2013, 03:19 PM
My hope is that most people are buying ammo just to shoot or hang onto, rather than flipping for a quick buck.

Gato MontÚs
January 29, 2013, 03:24 PM
Tragedy of the commons.

hueyville
January 29, 2013, 03:26 PM
Anyone in North Georgia area that shoots much 22lr I recycle the empty cases by swaging them into .224 and .243 jacketed reloading bullets. I collect up all mine but even shooting 2 to 3 boxes a week does not keep me fully stocked.

slamfirev10
January 29, 2013, 04:26 PM
My hope is that most people are buying ammo just to shoot or hang onto, rather than flipping for a quick buck.

yes, me too

....the bud''s price is fair for the shooter considering the times and may be high enough to discourage the flippers

herkyguy
January 29, 2013, 04:47 PM
I'm on my last box of .22LR. I can find .22 WMR, but haven't seen a good brick of 22LR in a while. it's probably the easiest to hoard since it's smaller and cheaper.

316SS
January 29, 2013, 05:02 PM
Tragedy of the commons.

Well, no. More like supply and [artificially stimulated] demand.

ID-shooting
January 29, 2013, 05:09 PM
you can buy these and flip them for at least a 25% profit at any gun show with no problem..... i'm just sayin'
Scalpers are part of the problem.

SwampWolf
January 29, 2013, 05:35 PM
panic, pure and simple.

Well, I'd like to think that I'm pretty much immune to "panic" buying but, I have to confess, when I found my lgs selling 550 rounds of CCI .22 ammunition for $15.99 per box a couple of weeks ago, I bought a couple more boxes of them than I had originally planned on purchasing. :o

rugerman
January 29, 2013, 06:23 PM
Sure lots of it is hoarding but here and I figure everywhere if you only have 1 gun its either a 22 rifle or pistol or a shotgun so if you hear that ammo is in short supply you buy some. 22's are the most used plinking round also. I have 10 22's that I have to feed so I try to keep a good supply and I buy more regularly just to keep the supply up.

papagator
January 29, 2013, 08:59 PM
My latest order of heads is taking unusually long to arrive, so I've been practicing with rimfire and saving the center fire stuff for matches. I bet I'm not the only one.

It is not going too well - now I am running out of rimfire :banghead:

Ignition Override
January 29, 2013, 09:10 PM
Mr. Jackson:
It also pushed .303 British from .75 to at least .90/round, when I checked last week.

And much of the Prvi is sold out. Luckily I planned ahead starting in '09, but never suspeted that Enfields are a back-up for an AR, AK, or Vz-58.
Not many of these WW2 bolt-action Battle Rifles attract attention in DC.

Tolkachi Robotnik
January 29, 2013, 10:06 PM
At end of 2012 no one had much inventory. The .22LR is cheapest to buy, easiest to clean off shelf as others have mentioned. There is probably less profit in .22LR so no one is going to gear up to make more than formerly. Expect prices to go very high unless you purchase a new source, I notice new stock of .22WMR is 30 cents a round if not more except for Fiocchi at 16 cents. This is a big difference! I can remember shooting Chinese .22LR rounds in the 1980's, ten dollars a brick and they were accurate. I wonder if they are still available.

There has to be a strong reaction (or actually non-reaction) if this is not going to be a fairly permanent situation. The first high dollar box of .22LR ammo that hits a shelf needs to stay on the shelf a long time period.

All the inventory that has been hoarded away really injured none of the hoarders to purchase, it was always the least expensive items. Here that means 9mm, .223, and .22LR. The .45 ACP is bought out except for high dollar rounds. That might have hurt a little more, cleaning off shelves of all the .45 ACP!

I haven't bought more than a box or two at a time for a long time. I have quit shooting as much due to the uncertainty. There is a real bottleneck in future availability if all the sources are Internet or big box stores.

mastiffhound
January 29, 2013, 10:22 PM
Thank you for this: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/45826, another place I won't frequent ever again!

Texan Scott
January 29, 2013, 10:36 PM
Because when society crumbles, we'll be defending the house with 7.62 and finding dinner with a .22.

Ask me about my recipe for possum and sweet potatos some time... I'm pretty sure it could work with any similarly sized mammal. ;)

Millwright
January 29, 2013, 10:45 PM
IMNSHO this "ammo/component shortage" is more of a "Johnny Carson Effect" than any real shortage. Recall when the Late Nite guru joked about a pending shortage of toilet paper only to have it come true when panicked viewers stripped store shelves ! But there is an "extraneous force" distorting the market; namely the government, (the usual suspect). So long as the government continues to apply pressure to the market, ( in the form of real or threatened restrictions) displacement of the normal demand/supply curve will continue. >MW

Analogkid
January 29, 2013, 10:58 PM
Because the Dealers all have it for sale in 1000 on up round cases on Gun broker.

karlsgunbunker
January 29, 2013, 11:15 PM
Sure lots of it is hoarding but here and I figure everywhere if you only have 1 gun its either a 22 rifle or pistol or a shotgun so if you hear that ammo is in short supply you buy some. 22's are the most used plinking round also.

Even Non-Gun people have a .22 in the closet.
Probably more .22's out there than any other caliber.

I just found 5 boxes (375 bulk packs) that I forgot I bought last April.
Put the box on the shelf and forgot to add it to the 30 cal ammo cans I store my .22 in.

herkyguy
January 30, 2013, 09:44 AM
Because when society crumbles, we'll be defending the house with 7.62 and finding dinner with a .22.

Ask me about my recipe for possum and sweet potatos some time... I'm pretty sure it could work with any similarly sized mammal. ;)
exactly. large game will be gone and in freezers. Sad to think about it, but it's the truth.

mbt2001
January 30, 2013, 10:15 AM

Ask me about my recipe for possum and sweet potatos some time... I'm pretty sure it could work with any similarly sized mammal.

+100000

Post it in the hunting forum, they have a sticky for recipes.

Queen_of_Thunder
January 30, 2013, 10:43 AM
Is that fresh kill (bullet) possum or road kill possum.

Gato MontÚs
January 30, 2013, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by 316SS
Well, no. More like supply and [artificially stimulated] demand.

You don't think so? Admittedly, the tragedy of the commons was intended to be directed towards resources held in common, not commercial products, but if you view ammo selling stores as a resource for the gun community the theory works quite well.

Many believe that those buying up anything and everything gun related do so because of a fear, valid or not, that those items will be banned by the government in short order. Fear's a part of it alright, but the sense I get from those who've participated in the panic buying fear not a ban but the next gun owner walking into the store looking to do the same thing. For those who got caught with their pants down it's indeed rational for them to buy as much as they can when they can in these times of uncertainty, however by doing so they only continue the panic buying situation by influencing others to participate in the same competition after they are left with the empty shelves he leaves behind.

Point is this is the reason to prepare for when the times are rough when the times are easy. Not only have you secured yourself from all the madness, you've also taken your influence out of the madness by reducing the competition of one more participant.

Sacajawea
January 30, 2013, 07:04 PM
Case in point: our Walmart has been out of ammo for a month. Last week, I noticed they'd restocked (comfortably) and now were allowing only 3 boxes (total) per customer. Hubs went back in for something else this week, and I asked him to look -- I was curious if people were still frantically buying.

Yep; it was all gone by Mon or Tues.
My guess is, people feel there's no such thing as "too much ammo" right now.

btg3
January 30, 2013, 07:46 PM
... large game will be gone and in freezers.
Will said crumbled society have electrical power to run said freezers?

bergmen
January 30, 2013, 08:07 PM
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/45826

Up to $44.99 but out of stock...

Dan

wyohome
January 30, 2013, 08:22 PM
I just bought 2 525 round Federal bulk packs for $20.99 each. She said there was plenty and if she were a gouger she would raise the price to $25.

Texan Scott
January 30, 2013, 08:53 PM
Mbt, posted... QoT, the truck-squished ones are best used for bkfast sausage ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Why is there a shortage on 22lr?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!