Glock G36 opinions - .45acp carry choice

PDA

stogiegila
January 29, 2013, 04:21 PM
I'm looking for everyone's opinions and experience with the Glock G36. I've read a couple of threads indicating issues with the gun so I'd like some more overall feedback. I am intrigued by the single stack design and overall slimness

Also i've been searching for info and peoples experience with the G30S and how it compares to the G36. I'm thinking the G36 is overall still lighter and thinner but want some real life input.

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Glock G36 opinions - .45acp carry choice" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Teachu2
January 29, 2013, 04:51 PM
The 30s is double stack, same grip as a 30sf. The 36/30s slide is 1/8" narrower.

My advice is to shoot a g36 - you may not like it. I prefer my G30, but YMMV. My carry guns are G30, G26, and G36, all gen3 or earlier.

sgtstryker
January 29, 2013, 05:07 PM
I have one, am usually carrying it over other autos. Mine shoots fine, ball ammo of course and Gold Dot 230 grainers too. It wears well in my IWB kydex and extra mag, I like it. But shooting one before you buy is good advice. It feels better to me than the double stack..

Thaddeus Jones
January 29, 2013, 05:29 PM
I shot one and was surprised by the sharp recoil impulse. I didn't care to shoot more than two mags through it.

Reminded me of shooting 357's through an airweight J-frame. Probably not quite as bad, but unpleasant, for me.

I much preferred shooting the thicker Glock 30 model.

chris in va
January 29, 2013, 05:35 PM
I didn't care for the G36 I rented. Too skinny, hefty recoil, limited capacity. If I was forced to get another Glock, probably the 30s coming out.

mdauben
January 29, 2013, 06:16 PM
I tried both the 30 and 36 and ended up buying hte 36. It just felt better in my hand and I had no problem with the recoil.

Teachu2
January 29, 2013, 06:26 PM
As you might gather, felt recoil is subjective. I'll shoot 250 rounds a session through my 30, and 50 rounds is a long day with the 36. They each have their place.

I can carry a G30 comfortably. I can carry the G36 a bit easier, and the 26 even easier. I shoot the 26 best, but like bigger holes....

RTR_RTR
January 29, 2013, 06:28 PM
Interesting, I've only shot a friend's, but I thought the felt recoil was quite reasonable

Edit: I should say that it's still more than I would be comfortable carrying though

Fishbed77
January 29, 2013, 06:28 PM
The 36 may be the worst pistol Glock makes:

http://g36mf.blogspot.com/

george d dennis
January 29, 2013, 08:25 PM
i have a g36, never had one problem with it. i carry it more than my g27.
if i cant stop someone with 7 .45s. its time to hang it up. its thin, light
weight. mine shoots good with 185gr bullets.

leadchucker
January 29, 2013, 08:44 PM
My G36 has never given me any problem. It's a different Glock but it's still a Glock. Slimmest Glock made. Feels better in the hand to me than a 26 or 27. Comfortable to shoot. Conceals well. Uber reliable. Don't let the naysayers deter you. It's a good conceal carry gun.

To give you some idea of its size, my S&W Shield fits perfectly in my G36 holster.

Coltdriver
January 29, 2013, 08:54 PM
I had a 36. The only reason I sold it was it only holds 6 rounds in the magazine and there is no other magazine you can use to add capacity.

I could shoot mine without discomfort, it was not so snappy as to be painful. But a couple hundred rounds would leave you with a tired hand.

They are a fabulous carry piece. They only weigh 27 ounces loaded and they are small enough to conceal easily.

My next Glock .45 will be a 30 simply because you pick up some capacity. A 30 is a whole different gun and is not only bigger overall but weighs about 34 ounces loaded. My edc is a Glock 27 and between 9+1 loaded and a 15 rounder on the belt there is plenty of capacity.

I don't think there is a better small .45 out there. Glock has really engineered the little pistols to make them as manageable as possible.

WYO
January 29, 2013, 09:43 PM
My 30SF with the optional 9 round magazine is easier to conceal IWB than my 36 with the standard 6 round magazine because of the extra length of the 36 magazine. In a small gun, I prefer the XDs .45 to the 36. My 36 probably won't be around much longer. It's just too big for what you get compared to the 30.

stogiegila
January 29, 2013, 10:27 PM
Thanks for the input. I will have to try and rent one. I had a 30sf and love the way it shot but felt that it was a bit too wide to comfortably carry. I'm still kicking myself in the butt for selling it

I love the G26 though

PRM
January 29, 2013, 10:35 PM
Our agency recently purchased 17 of the Gen 3 Model 36s. Of that number 11 were initially issued and all 11 had multiple FTE issues. Approximately 15 different officers (five of whom were firearms instructors) experienced the problems. We were consistently having around 5% malfunctions per 100 rounds.

In researching the problem we found that Glock had been sued and lost on this particular model over the same issues.

http://g36mf.blogspot.com/

They did send a factory rep up to visit the problem and gave us Model 30SF(s) to replace all the Model 36(s) we had.

Not sure what the issue is caused from - but the 36 seems to be Glock's problem child. All the Model 30(s) have performed to what we have come to expect out of a Glock.

They were an LE state contract purchase. All were built after the order was placed, recent manufacture. All were consecutive numbers.

jfrey
January 29, 2013, 11:56 PM
I've had a 36 since they came out in 1998 and never had a problem with it. It is picky about certain hollow point bullets but otherwise it goes bang every time I pull the trigger Don't believe the nay sayers with no experience. Most believe the stuff they read with no question but have never owned one. I own one and have had no problems. That's the facts.

powder
January 30, 2013, 12:51 AM
Bought one on an impulse: LNIB, with extra mags, holster and ammo for $450. It is my favorite CC and off-duty pistol. Shoots like a dream. Just missed a 30...

dacavasi
January 30, 2013, 01:03 AM
Regarding the notion that the new 30s is 'slimmer': in terms of overall thickness, it is actually 0.01" thicker than the 30 and 30sf models (see Glock specs). The slide may indeed be slimmer but I can't imagine that makes much difference for concealability if the overall thickness is the same as existing models. For the record, I have the 30sf and it is a beautiful edc gun, just right in most every aspect.

Osageid
January 30, 2013, 01:05 AM
I have owned the 36 for a couple of years many rounds through it without a glitch!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

IllinoisGun
January 30, 2013, 01:17 AM
Sure, the G36 is comfortable to hold.
But with only 6+1 rounds, I manned up and bought the G30SF and never looked back.

gspn
January 30, 2013, 01:18 AM
I've owned a G36 for several years. It is as reliable as the Sig P220 it replaced as my carry piece.

The reason the G36 replaced the P220 is that the Glock is so much more "carryable" if that's a word. It is SO light, and SO small that I can wear it everywhere and not even feel it. I started wearing it around the house...sitting on the couch I can't tell it's there.

It's small enough that the grip doesn't push up agains the seat in the truck when I sit there. It doesn't print. It's extremely light.

It's not the gun I shoot 200 rounds through at the range when I go but I shoot it often and well. I can't say enough about it...mostly I love it because it's so convenient that I actually carry it...the P220 got left home a lot because it was so bulky.

In short...great gun.

tarosean
January 30, 2013, 01:24 AM
I've had a 36 since they came out in 1998 and never had a problem with it. It is picky about certain hollow point bullets but otherwise it goes bang every time I pull the trigger Don't believe the nay sayers with no experience. Most believe the stuff they read with no question but have never owned one. I own one and have had no problems. That's the facts.

Did I miss something??? You state in the same post that its picky about ammo yet you go on to state no problems as a fact.

stogiegila
January 30, 2013, 11:40 AM
Well, even with the mixed reviews here, that is enough to disuade me on the 36 and to search out the 30SF once again. I wish I never got rid of the one I had :banghead:

I'm actually shocked that there are actually any negative comments for a Glock :what: that is something new to me.

rvanpelt
January 30, 2013, 12:13 PM
My G36 is over 10 yrs old with Hogue sleeve for the grip and shoots anything you feed it. Never an issue..6+1 is enough rounds. If not buy another mag.. I love it along with my G26 gen 3.
Rod van Pelt

Teachu2
January 30, 2013, 01:06 PM
Well, even with the mixed reviews here, that is enough to disuade me on the 36 and to search out the 30SF once again. I wish I never got rid of the one I had :banghead:

I'm actually shocked that there are actually any negative comments for a Glock :what: that is something new to me.
I went through the same thought process a year ago. The deciding factor for me was that I could rent a G30, but not a 36. I really liked shooting the 30, so I bought one. It's my primary carry. I kept an eye out and got a used 36 for about 2/3 of new price, so I have both.

The G30 is an outstanding shooter, and my favorite to shoot. The 36 is a bit thinner, so it's a bit easier to carry, but of my five Glocks it is my least favorite to shoot. Life is full of trade-offs....

leadchucker
January 30, 2013, 02:20 PM
The 36 is one of the few Glocks that can be limp-wristed fairly easily.

BP Hunter
January 30, 2013, 03:29 PM
I have had my G36 for a couple of years and is my carry for summer months. I honestly don't think the recoil was bad. I found the Kel Tec PF9 more painful to shoot. I cannot go through 3 magazines with the PF9 but can go through many magazines with the G36 with no pain at all. Oh, and the recoil also depends on the weight of your bullet. I only use 160gr bullets on my practice and self defense ammo.

XD 45acp
January 30, 2013, 05:04 PM
I had a 36, and had a bad limp wristing problem with it. It wasn't the pistol's fault, it was that it didn't fit me well. I went to an XDS and have been happy ever since.

wild cat mccane
January 30, 2013, 06:45 PM
Not a Glock, but as a reference, I *believe* a Taurus PT145 is a double stack 45 and is slimmer than the G36.

tackleberry45
January 30, 2013, 10:53 PM
No issues here with my G36. It is my EDC

NYGlock
January 31, 2013, 07:05 AM
Looks like the PT145 is 1.25", Glock 30 is 1.27" and the Glock 36 is 1.1" - per the manufacturers sites. I have owned a 9mm PT111 and currently own a Glock 30SF. Both are pretty chunky - the Glock mainly due to the boxiness of the slide. I had a lot of FTF problems with my Taurus - YMMV. Glock has been flawless.

tarosean
January 31, 2013, 07:48 AM
svelte and Glock are not exactly synonymous terms, even in a single stack form... Not sure if its applicable to even compare them to other manufacturers. No one buys them because they are thin and pretty...They work and thats the end of it...

tc54
February 1, 2013, 12:40 AM
i bought a nib g36 a few weeks ago. recoil hasn't bothered me, but i only shoot a couple full mags at a time. no problems with function/cycling. i carry mine in a blackhawk serpa. i am well satisfied.

rskent
February 2, 2013, 06:41 AM
A Glock 36 in a super tuck holster is a very hard combination to beat.

Soldiernurse
February 3, 2013, 12:38 PM
... manned up, that's the end of it.., some of these comments I find very arrogant. Reminds me of Steve Smith v Skip Bayless (hey, it's SB Sunday). Just the facts, subjective as they may be.

Nonetheless, I've been interested in a .45ACP, more for bedside table than EDC. Love my G4 G19 for CCW. I like the fact it will "eat anything". I consider Glocks to be Clydesdales... beautiful/huge & strong/durable but not a typical Showhorse. When I read post about a certain #Glock susceptible to limp wristing or finicky w/hollow points makes me hesitate & search elsewhere for a .45ACP handgun.

BossHogg
February 3, 2013, 01:40 PM
The G-36 is my main EDC gun. The G-30 is ok I just don't like double stacked 45 acp as the grips are to thick for my liking. My G-36 has been great so far and I have no intent to change it's role. I think it's the best Glock out there.

carbuncle
February 3, 2013, 02:31 PM
I like the G36, but my plans for buying one have been put on hold until I test an XDs. I had a PPS, and I can tell you the slimnes of that gun, which is duplicated by the XDs, makes it very easy to carry. I've shot the G36 a few times with a variety of ammo and like it, kicks a bit but it's not like you wouldn't expect that from a small-ish plastic-framed gun and defense loads.

dastardly-D
February 3, 2013, 02:47 PM
''Most believe the stuff they read with no question but have never owned one.'' That's the way I see it.I've had my G36 for years and hardly notice it's there.I never thought too much about it's recoil being a problem,it shoots softer than my Colt 1911,1991.It's thin,light,accurate,and reliable as can be. I would say from my own experience that the same handgun fit's different people different ways in their grip. I have a small hand,no problem at all.Give the G36 a try,reliability counts a whole lot !

Soldiernurse
February 3, 2013, 03:23 PM
''Most believe the stuff they read with no question but have never owned one.'' That's the way I see it.I've had my G36 for years and hardly notice it's there.I never thought too much about it's recoil being a problem,it shoots softer than my Colt 1911,1991.It's thin,light,accurate,and reliable as can be. I would say from my own experience that the same handgun fit's different people different ways in their grip. I have a small hand,no problem at all.Give the G36 a try,reliability counts a whole lot !
I never believe what I read w/o question :cuss:
:fire:

saltydog452
February 3, 2013, 04:10 PM
What brought on the 'manned up' comment?
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=699752&page=2

The 36 seems to be a handy size big bore, warts and all. Not perfect, but not awful, and pretty-dang-good.

I like mine. Won't normally carry it IWB cocked and un-locked though.

Its not a 1911 pattern, so it starts out behind the curve and is playing catch-up against more established choices.

salty

Soldiernurse
February 3, 2013, 05:29 PM
What brought on the 'manned up' comment?
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=699752&page=2
... salty
On page 1 :neener:

"Sure, the G36 is comfortable to hold. But with only 6+1 rounds, I manned up and bought the G30SF and never looked back." - IllinoisGun

JERRY
February 3, 2013, 05:43 PM
i owned and carried a G36 about 10 years ago.....worked great but i dont think id put my own money down for another one....seems i was one of the lucky few who got one that worked right.....

of course, if a could fire 100 rounds through one first and it didnt malf. id buy that particular gun, for now i will stick with my PM45.

meanmrmustard
February 3, 2013, 06:54 PM
What about the XDS? Looks promising.

dastardly-D
February 4, 2013, 12:06 PM
Soldiernurse........Check the quote marks I took off another poster,which I also strongly believe in.Then check some of the other posters and read that''they heard'' or words to that effect. Bash your head if you like,but you might want to observe more before you act unreasonably and whine. My G36,as some others have agreed with,works fine.If you want to take it as you personally were singled out as a target as one who believes w/o thinking or questioning,or as taking things out of context,go ahead ! There wasn't anything personally directed towards you.Why all the quick temper ?

Teachu2
February 4, 2013, 01:56 PM
As said before, try to shoot one before you buy. What works for one person may or may not work for another.

There have been problems with some G36s in the past, including at least one frame failure. What the particulars are on ANY gun having such failure(s) is extremely difficult to quantify. Also have to realize even 1911s have had examples of frames failing.

ALL handguns are a compromise, a trade-off of several factors. In a given chambering, smaller/lighter means more perceived recoil, bigger/heavier means harder to conceal/carry. Add in human variables (both physical and mental) and it gets complicated. The 36 wouldn't be my first choice for a range gun, but it's a fine carry gun.

There is no "perfect" gun, running shoe, or person.

Droid noob
March 3, 2013, 09:50 PM
I was interested in the 36. Rented one last weekend and put 50 rounds downrange. I shot well with it, but it was not comfortable for me. My hand was done after that box. The only thing I could think was the slim grip made the recoil more sharp in one spot on my hand. I like to train and shoot my carry firearms a lot, so this gun is out for me.

tinroad37e
March 5, 2013, 01:30 PM
I have two G36s and NEVER a single problem.

chicharrones
March 6, 2013, 02:31 PM
I'm looking for everyone's opinions and experience with the Glock G36. I've read a couple of threads indicating issues with the gun so I'd like some more overall feedback. I am intrigued by the single stack design and overall slimness

It is slim for a .45 ACP pistol. Yet, the grip is long measured front-to-back and may not feel natural in your hands. It is the nature of that Glock in that caliber, I suppose. As weird as the grip may feel, the 36 locks into my hand well when it is time to fire and has repeatable shot-to-shot accuracy.

Mine has been flawless in operation except for one shot I relaxed my grip and got an extraction jam. Hold onto that 36 with "vigor" and it works well.

I know recoil is subjective, but my Glock 36 has less felt recoil in my hands than a snubnose alloy framed revolver firing .38 Special +P.

Jesse 8
March 6, 2013, 03:22 PM
In regards to ammo....I feed my G30SF Federal HST. It gobbles them up and asks for more. The 30SF is the best firearm I've ever purchased, hands down. Haven't shot a 36 yet....It's on the list. Good luck

ShootALot523
March 7, 2013, 06:16 PM
Look at a XDM 45 with the 3.8" barrel Shoots really soft, less muzzle flip than the glock in my opinion. Conceals easy and very reliable. Nice trigger too.

ShootALot523
March 7, 2013, 07:36 PM
Here's a picture of the XDM 3.8. Don't mind the "sticky stuff" on the slide. I just took off some grip tape. Grip in my opinion is nicer than the compact Glocks.

foxs
March 7, 2013, 07:42 PM
Love my G36.

If you enjoyed reading about "Glock G36 opinions - .45acp carry choice" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!