Old Spanish .32 ... Need some help!

PDA

BadMitten
January 29, 2013, 08:38 PM
I acquired this through my father in law. I googled it and found out the manufacturer. "Garate Anitua" or something. I read that they are finickiy and impossible to find parts for. ANY extra info would be great...dates?

Also, it seems to function, but I cant lock it into battery that well. Mag seems to only hold 2 before they get messed up....

If you enjoyed reading about "Old Spanish .32 ... Need some help!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
January 29, 2013, 09:20 PM
It's a Spanish Ruby copy of a Colt / FN Browning pistol.

Low budget when they were new before WWII, and they don't get any better with aging 70+ years.

If only 2 .32 ACP cartridges will fit in the magazine?
It has a replacement magazine that doesn't fit it.

but I cant lock it into battery that wellI don't know what that means?
Do you mean it won't fully close on a .32 ACP cartridge?
IE: Go into battery on a loaded round??
Or do you mean you can't lock the slide open using the safety lever for dissembly?

But too me, it looks much more like a .25 ACP / 6.35mm Ruby Browning copy then a .32 ACP / 7.65 Ruby Browning copy.

Maybe you got the wrong ammo for it because it isn't a .32 ACP at all?
It's a .25 ACP?

rc

Jim K
January 29, 2013, 09:32 PM
The Garate Anitua guns were probably among the best of a bad lot. But the general condemnation of Spanish pistols of that era as of poor materials and worse workmanship still goes.

Keep it for family reasons if you want (you won't get much for it if you sell or trade) but don't even consider using it for any serious purposes, please.

Jim

winchester1886
January 30, 2013, 12:48 AM
I have a friend that has a Ruby made in Spain for the French in WWI. It was brought back from France after WWI. the pistol in the picture doesn't look like a Ruby to me.The Ruby grip is almost straight and the slide is longer I think the Ruby 32 APC barrel is 3". I could be wrong just saying.:rolleyes:

bannockburn
January 30, 2013, 05:38 PM
I agree with rcmodel in that your Garate Anitua is probably a .25ACP/6.35mm. Spanish copy (A.K.A. the Tigre), of the Colt Vest Pocket Model 1908.

Jim K
January 30, 2013, 06:08 PM
I am not sure why folks would insist the gun is .25 caliber; I don't know how big BadMitten's hand is, but the gun is certainly large enough to be a .32. G&A made a large variety of pistols both before and after WWI; I have pictures of several models (in addition to the "Ruby" type) and none are exactly like that.

I also don't know why folks keep calling those pistols "copies" of the Colt Model M or the Browning 1910 or, in the case of .25 autos, copies of the Colt Vest Pocket 1908. In size and general configuration they are "copies" but not in the action details. The Colt VP and Brownings are strkier fired, where all the Spanish pistols of that type are hammer fired. The Colt Model M is hammer fired but its safety and the safeties of the others block the sear, where the safeties of the Spanish pistols invariably block the trigger.

So, "copies" in the same way as an S&W revolver is a "copy" of a Colt. An outward similarity, but a lot of real difference inside.

Jim

BadMitten
February 2, 2013, 05:51 AM
The little gun isn't on me right now, but the grip has 7.65 on the top. Can't see it on the pic. The 32s chamber,but the slide wont close all the way. Stays open about an 8th of an inch.

Furncliff
February 2, 2013, 05:27 PM
HTH...
Spanish pistol forum
http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdisplay.php?40-The-Spanish-Pistol-Board

If you enjoyed reading about "Old Spanish .32 ... Need some help!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!