Winchester 63 deluxe?

PDA

forindooruseonly
January 30, 2013, 11:36 AM
A friend of mine, knowing I'm partial to Winchester rimfires, offered to sell me a Winchester 63 that he claimed was in excellent condition. I show up, and I suspect what he has is a deluxe Model 63 - it has a checkered stock and foregrip that looks factory, it's definitely not a reblued gun, the serial number puts it at a 1954 production date, and it is in 98% condition. Now, I know deluxe Model 63s are rare birds indeed, and he doesn't know much about it's history - he bought it thirty years ago from someone else. I didn't get any pics, but we're meeting up this weekend and I can get some then.

So, some questions. First, is there anyway to "letter" a gun made in 1954? I know you can get some early Winchesters lettered from the Cody Firearms Record Office to find it's history, but I've never seen if you can get later production stuff done the same way.

If a letter isn't possible, what should I be looking for to determine whether this is a deluxe version or not? As I said, the wood looks factory - fit is perfect and the checkering has the appearance of other factory checkering I've seen. Other than the wood though, it looks like a normal 63 - blued, no special sights or engravings or anything.

Finally, what would be a fair price. This gentleman is a friend, he's much older than me and helped me out quite a bit along the way. What he was wanting for it is irrelevant, because he priced it as a normal 63 and if it's a deluxe, it's certainly worth more. How much more, I don't know and need to find out. I need a fair value for him and me.

So, I turn to knowledgeable folks here to educate me, thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester 63 deluxe?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
January 30, 2013, 11:50 AM
Here are some good pictures of a much older one.
http://www.cabelas.com/winchester-rifles-winchester-model-63-deluxe-22-lr.shtml

Here is one from 1952.
I would imagine your checkering pattern should match this one.
http://www.gunauction.com/buy/9960980/rifles-for-sale/semi-auto-rifle/winchester-.pre-64-rare-winchester-model-63-deluxe-22-semi-auto

rc

forindooruseonly
January 30, 2013, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the links RC, I found some other ones googling around as well, and it seems there is all sorts of different combinations, some with better grade wood that others, some with special endcaps and so on.

I'm going to get some pics this weekend and post them. Maybe that will help. The checkering looks correct for the stock, I don't recall the forearm having as much checkering as that 1952 model, nor does it have that same high grade wood. It matches the earlier one better.

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester 63 deluxe?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!