Armalite AR-10

PDA

moonzapa
January 30, 2013, 12:45 PM
Gents,

I have very little experience with the Armalite AR-10 platform. I understand that it will "break" open for easy access to the bore for cleaning? I have a FNAR that is a pain to clean and must use the Otis cable system for bore cleaning. Appreciate the help.:)

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Armalite AR-10" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
adelbridge
January 30, 2013, 01:00 PM
its just like an ar-15 only bigger. Two take down pins to remove complete upper or you can remove rear pin and hinge it open and run a rod through it. Youtube has the narrative if you want to watch before you buy (if you can find one)

Robert
January 30, 2013, 01:16 PM
AR patter rifles have two pins that lock the upper and lower together. Remove the rear pin and it hinges open. Remove both pins and you have two seperate parts.

moonzapa
January 30, 2013, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the info, really appreciate it. Having a tough time getting my FNAR bore bright and shiny. The bore is chrome lined.
Been avoiding harsh cleaning agents with ammonia. Any recommendations for a good bore solvent that won't damage the chrome bore?

TexasPatriot.308
January 30, 2013, 04:45 PM
AR10s are the original platform Eugene Stoner came out with, simple to clean. in the military we dissasembled and reassembled them blindfolded our M16s. there were and are good reasons for this. they are so simple to clean. while I do own a couple of Bushmasters in the AR10 platform, Armalites are still my favorite. nowadays available in other calibers than .308.

Quentin
January 30, 2013, 05:10 PM
If you decide to buy an AR-10 style rifle, remember there are many incompatible formats. Even ArmaLite now has two versions, the AR-10A is based on the original AR-10 and uses the old style magazines. DPMS and Knights Armament use this format too, and Magpul makes PMAGs that fit.

ArmaLite also has the AR-10B that is based on M14 style magazines. RRA has one based on FAL magazines. The AR-10 and knockoffs aren't nearly as standard as the AR-15 platform.

Zoogster
January 30, 2013, 05:38 PM
When you seperate the receiver into two halves removing the pins as described you slide out the bolt and have a straight shot through from breech to muzzle.
This is because the lower half of the receiver is what closes up the rear of the receiver and so when removed it is wide open from muzzle to back end and you can put anything straight through.
Almost as good as just holding the barrel itself for cleaning.

Most parts are also large, unique and obvious, and easy to keep track of compared to some other platforms with lots of similar little parts. So cleaning, disassembly, and reassembly is easy. It goes back together very easily and does not require holding various points and pulling or pushing from different angles while holding the firearm just so like some firearms.

If you enjoyed reading about "Armalite AR-10" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!