What to do to a bored crown

PDA

Voodoochile
January 30, 2013, 12:51 PM
reading the thread that a fellow posted here, http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=699868 made me think.

One thing at may be limiting my M44 is the bored crown where they drilled down to good rifling after some serious useage I imagine.
Instead of me highjacking a thread I decided to ask in my own.

What to do to improve the abilities of a Mosin in this case when it has a bored crown?

If you enjoyed reading about "What to do to a bored crown" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jerkface11
January 30, 2013, 01:02 PM
A counter bore shouldn't hurt the accuracy.

primalmu
January 30, 2013, 01:11 PM
It should improve accuracy. After all, they basically recrowned it.

akv3g4n
January 30, 2013, 01:45 PM
Yeah. They basically counter bored it because someone (Russian soldier) destroyed the rifling at the muzzle end with a steel cleaning rod. The counter bore removed that damage. Not much you can/should do about that.

desidog
January 30, 2013, 04:58 PM
Aside from getting a new barrel; pretty much all you can do to improve your recessed crown is recess it a bit further...that's how it got counter-bored in the first place.

mlkx4
January 30, 2013, 05:38 PM
My 91/30 has this as well. Ive been thinking of drilling a pattern of holes in it for a sort of fixed flash hider or compensator of some sort. It probably wouldnt work to well but it would be an easy project.

carbine85
January 30, 2013, 07:05 PM
The only other choice you have is to cut the barrel and re-crown it.
Counter boring is a cheap fast way to improve a worn or damaged barrel. It's not as good as a proper crown.

Art Eatman
January 30, 2013, 09:45 PM
"What to do to a bored crown"

Call in the court jester?

Sorry. Couldn't resist. It's a character defect.

Anyhow, having the barrel shortened to the counter-bore depth wouldn't hurt the velocity any. Then, a proper re-crown would likely help some.

splattergun
January 30, 2013, 10:44 PM
"what to do to a bored crown"

call in the court jester?
roflmfao
:d

If you enjoyed reading about "What to do to a bored crown" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!