OK, I really, truly might break THR

PDA

Derek Zeanah
January 30, 2013, 02:18 PM
I've got wires strung from the old half-rack to the new full rack, the new SAN (the machine that's supposed to speed things back up) is installed and I've migrated one machine over to test it.

Now I'm running backups (just in case), installing firmware updates on machines I didn't want to bring down, and I'll be physically moving boxes all of 12 feet.

If I'm good, you won't notice anything. If not, then we might be down for a couple of hours. Knock on 4-post rack.

Anyway, if something happens, now you know what it probably was.

If you enjoyed reading about "OK, I really, truly might break THR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
WardenWolf
January 30, 2013, 03:08 PM
We'll get the pitchforks ready. . .

As a systems administrator myself, I feel your pain.

blarby
January 30, 2013, 05:19 PM
Thank goodness this thread is here.

For a very brief braingasm moment........ this morning when I couldn't log in.... :

" Great, we've been shut down as a terror group "

ooop, redirect to cache

"I might really break things, by Derek"

*whew*

Puts the EBR down. Takes the mag out.

You sure know how to scare a guy before coffee......

:D

enine
January 30, 2013, 05:35 PM
Thats why I got out of sysadmin and into something that takes less evenings and weekends.

Derek Zeanah
January 30, 2013, 05:52 PM
Well, the good news is that the new SAN is literally an order of magnitude faster than the old one.

The bad news is that I'm going to sit here with Ethernet cables strung across space until everything's migrated, and that'll be a few more hours.

Here's to hoping I don't creatively break something.

Derek Zeanah
January 30, 2013, 05:53 PM
Well, the good news is that the new SAN is literally an order of magnitude faster than the old one.

The bad news is that I'm going to sit here with Ethernet cables strung across space until everything's migrated, and that'll be a few more hours.

Here's to hoping I don't creatively break something.

Texan Scott
January 30, 2013, 06:32 PM
Hilarious mental image of Derek standing on a desktop like Moses on the mountain side, full of holy wrath and prepared to HURL DOWN the backup tapes upon the heads of sinful and ungrateful HighRoadites...

You'll break 'em, and have to create a new set....

enine
January 30, 2013, 08:02 PM
Let me know if you need cable stretchers, I still have mine someplace

Sgt_R
January 30, 2013, 08:33 PM
We physically moved all of our servers a half mile down the road in 12 hours of scheduled downtime last Saturday. I feel your pain.

R

Blackstone
January 31, 2013, 07:23 AM
Puts the EBR down. Takes the mag out.

Cleared the chamber? ;)

Hondo 60
January 31, 2013, 04:44 PM
Derek - Thank you for all your hard work.

You're keeping a whole bunch of us sane.
When thr is down my depression sets in.

THANKS!

blarby
January 31, 2013, 08:24 PM
Cleared the chamber?

I usally don't charge unless I'm at the door, or the range.

If you enjoyed reading about "OK, I really, truly might break THR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!