Who made it?

PDA

Bill.45
January 30, 2013, 01:32 PM
Probably been ask several times but I searched for threads and didn't turn up what I was looking for.

I'm looking for a used 20ga gun and there are some that are made for companies like Sear, Monkey wards, Western Auto, etc. under other names. Does anyone know who made these old guns for these mainly out of business Cos.?

If you enjoyed reading about "Who made it?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hunterdad
January 30, 2013, 01:37 PM
There were a couple different companies that made them. I know Savage and Mossberg to name a few.

rcmodel
January 30, 2013, 01:41 PM
Try this:

http://www.hoosiergunworks.com/catalog/cross_reference.html

rc

Bill.45
January 30, 2013, 02:16 PM
Thanks, that really helps. The list for Sears seems it will never end.

El Mariachi
January 30, 2013, 02:53 PM
Fwiw, I have 10 or 11 Sears/JC Higgins firearms. Shotguns, pistols, boltys and semi rifles. They're all fun to shoot, didn't cost me a lot and are as well built (except for maybe some cosmetics) as the ones the company's sold under their own name....

Fred Fuller
January 30, 2013, 02:56 PM
Too many possibilities to offer a guess.

Add Winchester to the list of companies who supplied shotguns to Sears as well...

Bill.45
January 30, 2013, 04:13 PM
My main concern was replacement parts if needed.

Fred Fuller
January 30, 2013, 04:31 PM
Bill,

Best advice I can offer is to stick with something still currently manufactured, by one of the major US manufacturers. That would pretty well mean Mossberg or Remington at this point...

There are good used examples of both available.

If you enjoyed reading about "Who made it?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!