Buy mags now or wait?

PDA

breakingcontact
January 30, 2013, 04:55 PM
I don't need some more mags but I'd sure like a few more.

I have a few extra M&P 9mm mags but would feel more comfortable having a few more.

Buy now or wait and see? They're $80-$100 now. Were $30-$40 before the madness.

If no high cap ban happens...I'm golden, can buy at normal prices after things cool off.

But if it does happen, what could I expect to pay for pre-ban mags then? Would a $90 mag seem cheap then?

Haven't participated in any buying frenzy. Don't want to start.

Really may consider turning some AR mags into some M&P mags but don't like that idea much either.

If you enjoyed reading about "Buy mags now or wait?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ku4hx
January 30, 2013, 05:14 PM
Regardless of instantaneous price, I see it as a personal choice. Wife and I have bought several in recent weeks but we've bought a few new guns too. For most of the magazines (17, 15 and 10 round) I paid the "normal" price. As the feeding frenzy progressed, I bought a few more that had prices elevated, oh, $3-$4 or so. No big deal.

Basically, I consider magazines as being in a class similar to hand loading components: get more than what you feel you need and don't wait until the last minute to buy anything. After all they don't spoil and they have a tendency to retain at least some of their value if you ever resell.

Wildbillz
January 30, 2013, 06:58 PM
I hate to say it.. But I would get what you want/need. I think we are going to get hosed. They may not get the full ban but I think we are going to loose out on the mags. I hope that I am wrong but prepare for the worst is my mind set right now.

WB

mgmorden
January 30, 2013, 07:41 PM
Wait for the time being. A mag ban ain't going nowhere nationally right now. If they try really, REALLY hard they might get universal background checks, but that's about all they might get this time around.

Browning
January 30, 2013, 07:44 PM
I'd personally wait.

Doesn't look like it's going to make it through the Senate, much less the House.

Prices will drop eventually as a result, just have to wait a bit.

January 30, 2013, 07:47 PM
Kind of a "damned-if-you-do-damned-if you don't" situation don't you think?

If you don't buy 'em and they are banned, prices will almost certainly increase and hugely at that.

If you do buy 'em and nothing makes it through Congress (which is what I think will happen as cooler heads prevail), then you have spent more money than you should've although it is probably the lesser of two evils.

If you feel very strongly about it and don't want to risk it, I'd suggest you buy.

chrisb507
January 30, 2013, 07:47 PM
Unless you have an immediate need, I would wait. Here's one item that leads me to that conclusion: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2013/01/30/why-the-assault-weapons-ban-is-going-nowhere-part-2/

Atbat82
January 30, 2013, 08:07 PM
Probably also depends on where you live. Nationally it seems unlikely that congress will pass anything (maybe background checks).

However, in states like CT, you can bet we're getting mag limits. I just hope they grandfather in the mags I've bought.

I bought a couple new guns and a few new mags to go with them. Sometimes it means I paid "too much" for the mags. That being said, I'm still looking for a CZ 75 SP01 18rd mag... Otherwise, I'm in good shape.

I'd say, if you're worried and you have the funds, have at it.

Sent from my iPhone

Landric
January 30, 2013, 08:08 PM
I got some mags on backorder at normal prices, some from Midway, and some BX25s for the 10/22 from Ruger. I am willing to wait a little while for them, Ruger has been filling backorders in about a month, remains to be seen on Midway.

However, I'm more concerned with rifle mags than pistol mags, the only 11+ shot handgun I have that I don't feel I have enough mags for is a Beretta 84FS. I lived through the last ban where paying $80+ for a factory 15 round Glock 19 magazine was the price of admission. I am not going to pay those sorts of prices now, when there isn't even a ban. During the last ban GI AR mags were never more than $20, they are over that now, and there is no ban.

I'm risking it and waiting.

Seven High
January 30, 2013, 08:50 PM
Personally, I would buy the parts necessary to rebuild existing magazines. This will extend the life of your magazines for less expense.

Bovice
January 30, 2013, 09:06 PM
You should definitely buy mags now. Especially the ones I have listed in the classifieds here... :)

jmr40
January 30, 2013, 09:58 PM
Unless they are at a fair price I say wait it out. I know it is a gamble, but I think things will settle down.

Okiegunner
January 31, 2013, 02:44 AM
Right before all of the madness started...I kind of had a bad feeling, so I started buying some magazines. Most of what I bought were for my rifles,i.e., AR-15, AK-74 & AK-47.

I neglected my pistol mags (wish I had not). I wish that I had bought some more mags for my 92 Beretta, etc.

My gut tells me that "this time", we'll escape the more draconian mandates. However, there could very possibly be, bans on all sorts of high cap magazines.

My take right now is: If possible (and if you have the $$$) buy magazines for your firearms. You never know what laws are going to be pushed thru!!

ku4hx
January 31, 2013, 03:56 AM
My gut tells me that "this time", we'll escape the more draconian mandates. However, there could very possibly be, bans on all sorts of high cap magazines.

My take right now is: If possible (and if you have the $$$) buy magazines for your firearms. You never know what laws are going to be pushed thru!!
Yup. How does the old saying go? "Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me". I didn't buy what I wanted prior to the Clinton era magazine ban and I regretted it. As a result, after it expired, I began to buy magazines of all types for all my guns. No really large purchases, 3-4 at a time, and I looked for sales and reduced shipping. Worked out really well for a long time.

I'm hoping our congress will not punish law abiding citizens, but never underestimate the ability of any politician to act irrationally in their own self interest. Or to be "bought" for that matter.

And the thing is, as some of you know all too well, states can impose bans and limits too. I happen to live in the Sunny South about 150 miles or so from Glock in Smyrma, but not all of us live in a friendly "state" such as I do.

If you enjoyed reading about "Buy mags now or wait?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!