.44mag 3" vs 4" vs 6" Barrel

PDA

MP-44
January 30, 2013, 07:48 PM
anyone have the the actual velocity or link to the differences between these 3 length barrels?

If you enjoyed reading about ".44mag 3" vs 4" vs 6" Barrel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tomrkba
January 30, 2013, 08:25 PM
This may help. I am not sure if it's correct.

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/44mag.html

MP-44
January 30, 2013, 08:30 PM
Thanks!!!

jmr40
January 30, 2013, 09:55 PM
I have 3 and 4" 629's. I don't have the speeds I recorded handy, but I did a "LITTLE" better than the numbers they show in the link. I didn't have a 6" gun to get actul numbers from.

They show velocity from 2 sources. A test barrel and from a sample of real guns. I've found the numbers they show fairly accurate in my experience when you look at the real guns. I've compared BBTI numbers to my experiences in several calibers and they have been fairly close.

Just remember no 2 guns are identical. I've seen 100 fps difference between identical guns shooting the same ammo through equal barrel lengths. Any time your speeds are within 50 fps of someone else's numbers it is about as close as you can expect.

Loc n Load
January 31, 2013, 08:51 AM
Been shooting 44 mag's since the 70's.....own hgns in 14" ( TC Contenders) down to 3" N frame Smiths.....I handload so I can run my loads at whatever levels I want.....as a rule of thumb.....I see around 50 fps difference per inch of barrel......this is approximate...but it gives me a "guesstimate" when working up loads.....there are a lot of variables.....as noted on a previous post, every gun is different.....powders are different with different burn rates, etc. I tend to load the slower powders such as 296, 2400 in six inch or longer tubes and the faster powders in the shorter tubes. Any published data is simply a guide line.....the only way to know for sure is a Chrono, your gun & your load.

If you enjoyed reading about ".44mag 3" vs 4" vs 6" Barrel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!