OAL Question 300 wby mag

PDA

JRWhit
January 31, 2013, 07:23 AM
I'm in the process of working loads for a weatherby vanguard series 2, chambered 300 wby magnum. I was trying to figure my OAL and put a 180 gn soft point in an empty casing in order to chamber and see where the rifling starts so that I could figure desired OAL for my rifle. What I found is that the bullet comes no where near contact with the landings. I this due to the narrowness of the bullet or larger starting diameter of the barrel? I have some heavier grain round nose coming and am curious to see if they contact rifling at any depth. Is this a rifle more suited for heavy round nose or am I missing something?

If you enjoyed reading about "OAL Question 300 wby mag" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rsnell
January 31, 2013, 09:08 AM
The 300 Weatherby Magnum rifle has a long free bore. You will never be able to seat a bullet out that far and still feed through the magazine. Seat the bullet so it will feed through the magazine or seat to the channilure.

Cougar71
January 31, 2013, 09:36 AM
Too much freebore. Load to the length limits of the magazine.

JRWhit
January 31, 2013, 07:39 PM
Understood. I guess I'll be seating at factory length. New lesson learned, thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "OAL Question 300 wby mag" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!