what defines a colorado school zone?

PDA

thefish
January 31, 2013, 09:47 AM
I did just about as much searching as I could, and couldn't find a definitive answer.
My 4 year old goes to a montessori school. According to the federal law I read, you cant ccw at a "school". And a school is defined by the state.
Would a private preschool like this be considered a school?

Specifically, can I ccw when dropping him off or picking him up? When doing so, I dont actually go into the school, just in the parkinglot to front door, although I know this is still school property.

Would the teachers be prohibited from ccw?

Any links would be helpful.
Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "what defines a colorado school zone?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
smalls
January 31, 2013, 02:28 PM
Federal law doesn't prohibit carrying on school property, state law does.

In the federal "gun free school zone" deal those who are licensed by the state are exempt, so you need to review Colorado state laws to answer your questions.

I know in MI, we can leave it in the car, or open carry on school property with a CPL. I'm exempt from federal law because of my CPL

Zak Smith
February 2, 2013, 02:33 AM
It took me less than 10 seconds to find this, and it should have been provided with your CHP application (or one very like it)

http://www.larimersheriff.org/sites/default/files/CSOC%20APPLICATION%20INFO%20PKT%20updated%20040612.pdf

thefish
February 2, 2013, 09:37 AM
Thanks zack. Yes I have a similar document. I have read it and it is still not clear to me if the school is a gun free zone. Im thinking no, you can ccw there as it is really a place of business but would like to be sure.

Zak Smith
February 2, 2013, 01:03 PM
Reread page 13, specifically 18-12-105.5

If you enjoyed reading about "what defines a colorado school zone?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!