Check out these hand made holsters on Ebay!

PDA

ba ba booey
January 31, 2013, 12:06 PM
Was searching for a leather iwb holster for my glock 19. Found a handmade wet molded one on ebay for 35 bucks new and shipped! Specs: one way pull the dot snaps, sweat gaurd, wet molded, 30 degree forward cant.

Just won it for 35. Maybe should wait till it arrives to give this guy a plug, but it seems like he is just getting started and building a reputation with good quality and low prices. Link for a S and W pasted below, but 1911, glocks ect avail in his ebay store.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Iwb-Leather-Holster-Smith-And-Wesson-M-P-Compact-/230920629031?_trksid=p2047675.m1985&_trkparms=aid%3D444000%26algo%3DSOI.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D13%26meid%3D5266114887643795998%26pid%3D100012%26prg%3D1014%26rk%3D2%26sd%3D230917072446%26

If you enjoyed reading about "Check out these hand made holsters on Ebay!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
smalls
January 31, 2013, 02:56 PM
Looks... cheap, it doesn't look like leather. You could do so much better for just a few bucks more.

bigfatdave
January 31, 2013, 03:04 PM
not impressed based on pictures

rcmodel
January 31, 2013, 03:32 PM
Yep!

I don't think he has quite got the idea of how basketweave stamping is supposed to look.

And he apparently doesn't realize you can't wet mold & bone a hand-tooled holster without ruining the tooling patterns.

If the holster fits your gun, you got about what you paid for, if that.

rc

bigfatdave
January 31, 2013, 03:40 PM
I don't think he has quite got the idea of how basketweave stamping is supposed to look.I think he's using a single stamp
It might be the mag release from a Glock, see attached photo for evidence:
http://www.vickers.nettconsulting.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/vickers-glock-mag-catch.jpg
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Iwb-Leather-Holster-Smith-And-Wesson-M-P-Compact-/00/s/MTAwMFg3NTA=/$(KGrHqN,!hsFCwRG3PQKBQ9f-D0u0g~~60_57.JPG

To be fair, I think basketweave is an ugly and dated pattern to start with, but this is a particularly poor rendition.

ba ba booey
January 31, 2013, 03:45 PM
Yeah, the leather quality doesn't look on par with 70 dollar holsters, but I ordered it with function in mind, as it is iwb and I liked the design. I have attached the pictures of the holster I actually bought.

rcmodel
January 31, 2013, 03:52 PM
I think he's using a single stampI'm sure he is.

All leather tooling stamps are single stamps.

Thats what I use too.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/LeVengeur1.jpg

rc

Skribs
January 31, 2013, 03:56 PM
Just out of curiosity, why make an IWB holster look pretty?

bigfatdave
January 31, 2013, 03:59 PM
Skribs - I agree, there's nothing wrong with a plain IWB

rcmodel - Really? I always thought basketweave was applied with a roller or something similar.

rcmodel
January 31, 2013, 04:06 PM
It may be rolled on in production line holsters & belts.

But hand-tooling means just that.

Each mark in the design is applied one at a time with a single hand stamp to wet leather.
But once done, you can't hand bone the wet leather to fit a gun without ruining the hand tooling.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/SUPERB-97-LEATHER-CRAFT-TOOLS-SADDLE-STAMP-LEATHER-WORKING-PUNCHES-CRAFTOOL-USA-/00/s/NjU3WDk0Nw==/$T2eC16J,!)EE9s2ufWVZBQzkzboudw~~60_57.JPG

rc

ba ba booey
January 31, 2013, 04:21 PM
Wow you guys sound like I just paid 35 bucks for a turd. I never meant to imply old world craftsmanship, just thought it would be a very functional rig for the money.

Last Knight
January 31, 2013, 04:26 PM
Is it? How's the fit, feel, and utility?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF30T using Tapatalk 2

ba ba booey
January 31, 2013, 05:01 PM
Just ordered it. Reviews for his stuff are positive, guess I'll find out

bigfatdave
January 31, 2013, 05:10 PM
ba ba booey - function will determine value, I hope you get a useful functional holster out of the deal. Perhaps I was a bit mean making digs at cosmetics, my holsters surely aren't pretty.

rcmodel - interesting, the last time I did anything with leather stamping was in the 80's at summer camp, so I surely have no idea what goes into it.
How would basketweave be applied to a formed piece, then? Shove it onto an anvil and stamp away for hours?

ba ba booey
January 31, 2013, 05:27 PM
No offense taken, just wondering if I blew money, even if it is a 35 dollar holster. To my eye the thumbnails of the actual holster I bought--posted midway through this thread--look better than the smith and wesson that I originally posted. Does anyone here with leather work experience feel that way or are they equally bad?

rcmodel
January 31, 2013, 09:28 PM
How would basketweave be applied to a formed piece, then? Shove it onto an anvil and stamp away for hours?IT would have to be formed in a die in one piece if you wanted a fitted hand-boned holster fit.

For a handmade & handtooled holster, it is done on the flat leather before the holster is shaped and sewn together.

rc

royal barnes
January 31, 2013, 10:04 PM
That's why El Paso Saddlery states in their ads that tooled holsters will NOT be hand boned.

rcmodel
January 31, 2013, 10:23 PM
Does anyone here with leather work experience feel that way or are they equally bad? No, you are right.

The one you got isn't poorly basketweave stamped and then ruined by boning the wet holster to the gun quite as much.

Yours is stamped with a Tri-Weave stamp.
http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/home/leathercraft-projects/tri-weave-basket-stamping/6503-00.aspx

But it's supposed to look something like weaving, as shown in the knife sheath photo I posted in post #5 done with the same style stamp.

But at least he didn't hand bone yours and rub all the tooling out.

rc

rayban
January 31, 2013, 11:46 PM
While I agree the stamping leaves a lot to be desired, you'll be getting what you paid for.
You may want to cut off that point at the bottom of the pouch....that will leave a mark.

tarosean
February 1, 2013, 03:10 AM
If the stamping is that poor Id have to wonder about the stitching.

ColtPythonElite
February 1, 2013, 03:14 AM
No thanks.

denster
February 1, 2013, 03:41 AM
From someone who makes holsters for a business. The design is pretty poor. The entry point for the trigger guard will be below the level of the waistband when worn. Not a good place for it to be when reholstering a striker fired weapon in particular. It looks like he has included stitched in sight rails but grossly overdid it. Overall finish details are poor as rcmodel stated. I would also worry about die bleed onto your clothes. Also as to design it has an extereme muzzle rear cant. Not well thought out.

cyclopsshooter
February 1, 2013, 03:45 AM
At first glance I thought those were made by Century International Arms.

carlson1
February 1, 2013, 03:57 AM
It appears to be similar to a Summer Style holster or some call them Summer Cruiser holsters. I do not sale holster or know how to began to make them. There are many high quality Summer Style holsters out there. Here is one on Ebay that I was thinking of. . .
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Galco-Summer-Comfort-Inside-Pant-Holster-for-Glock-19-23-32-/300853827782?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item460c4918c6

Jaxondog
February 2, 2013, 11:10 AM
Of course it look's cheap, it's sell's for $35. The op seem's half way satisfied, I would probably buy one on the cheap. He also stated that he thought the guy was just learning so give him a break. Maybe the next one's will satisfy everyone.Nice sheath also RC.

The Lone Haranguer
February 3, 2013, 12:08 PM
With 30 degrees of cant, you will need to wear the holster practically in the small of your back to get a proper grip on the gun without cocking your wrist. If this is what you wanted and what it was designed for, fine.

doubleh
February 3, 2013, 12:25 PM
I can't see any quality to it at all. Poor workmanship and it can't be made from good quality leather at that price. Personally I don't care for basket weave when it's done right and his isn't.

You do pretty work even if it is basket weave, rcmodel. ;)

ba ba booey
February 3, 2013, 09:01 PM
Ok, I recieved the holster in the mail the other day. First, the good:

30 degree cant really helps to conceal the Glock 19 when worn at 3 oclock, can still draw. Like the sweat guard

Now the bad:
Leather is as hard as a rock. Bad leather dye smell. When I tried to clean holster with a leather cleaning wipe (same I use on my sofa) it took the dye right off :what:

I cant use this thing knowing that black dye will come off on my belt, clothes and gun, especially when perspiration is a factor in the summer. I took a chance because I liked the features, price and wanted to support a small business.

I'm sending it back for a refund. Based on everything I've read I'm ordering a crossbreed supertuck. I dont like the idea of kydex, but if it will last and the holster is very concealable and comfortable thats what counts.

Last Knight
February 3, 2013, 10:10 PM
Ugh, too bad. =/ Hope everything works out with your refund.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

JTQ
February 3, 2013, 10:19 PM
The Lone Haranguer wrote,
With 30 degrees of cant, you will need to wear the holster practically in the small of your back to get a proper grip on the gun without cocking your wrist.
ba ba booey wrote,
30 degree cant really helps to conceal the Glock 19 when worn at 3 oclock, can still draw.

I've got to agree with The Lone Haranguer, 30 degrees of cant should really put that holster far back. I'd really think a draw stroke from 3:00 with 30 degrees of cant would be quite odd.

ba ba booey
February 3, 2013, 10:30 PM
I can do 30 degrees at 3 Oclock. Its not the most comfortable draw but keeps the gun from profiling on my frame.

so...

Crossbreed Supertuck vs 5 shot leather IBS
looking for: comfort, concealabilty, durability. I'm really close to ordering a Crossbreek Supertuck but the things that concern me are 1. clips instead of loops, this seems like it could be less secure and 2. kydex, which although thinner seems more brittle. Is it true that it wears the guns finish out faster than leather? (for a Glock 19)

JTQ
February 4, 2013, 12:13 AM
I can do 30 degrees at 3 Oclock. Its not the most comfortable draw but keeps the gun from profiling on my frame.
3:00 is the widest point on your body. Putting a gun there makes it stick out even farther. It is a good spot for a competition fast draw, with a straight drop holster, but usually not a good spot for concealment.

Most will carry just forward of the hip or just behind the hip to use the hip as a concealment point.

Wide spaced loops are usually handy for heavy guns as it spreads the weight out. Small profile holsters like the IBS usually work well for slim guys as they have less belt real-estate to place those wide spaced loops.

Kydex will wear a finish faster than leather, but you have a Glock, I'd consider that a non-issue.

Here is a nice review of the IBS by none other than Jason Burton of Heirloom Precision fame, the "B" in IBS.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=265817&highlight=inside+burton+special

ba ba booey
February 4, 2013, 12:56 AM
Not a fan of carrying at greater than 3 O clock. Would normally cary at 2 or 230 but with the 30 degree cant couldnt get a good draw with that holster

JTQ
February 4, 2013, 08:57 AM
If you are an appendix carry guy, you don't want a Crossbreed Supertuck. That is way too much holster to try and stick in front of your hip. I don't think the 5 Shot IBS is suited to appendix carry either as it has more cant than you'd want.

Look for a straight drop, small profile holster, for appendix carry. Kydex is a good option for Glock's.

Here are a couple of makers that may have some good options.

PJ Holsters http://pjholster.com/?page_id=27

Dale Fricke http://www.dalefrickeholsters.com/products.php

Takem406
February 4, 2013, 02:07 PM
Looks... cheap, it doesn't look like leather. You could do so much better for just a few bucks more.

It's because it's not a Crossbreed :-D

In God and Glock we Trust

s9601694
February 4, 2013, 05:04 PM

so...

Crossbreed Supertuck vs 5 shot leather IBS
looking for: comfort, concealabilty, durability. I'm really close to ordering a Crossbreek Supertuck but the things that concern me are 1. clips instead of loops, this seems like it could be less secure and 2. kydex, which although thinner seems more brittle. Is it true that it wears the guns finish out faster than leather? (for a Glock 19)
Check out Theis holsters as well. (www.theisholsters.com)

Tommy Theis (one man shop) makes "crossbreed style" holsters, WAY cheaper than crossbreed does. I own one for my Kahr CM9 and love it..

smalls
February 6, 2013, 01:06 AM
It's because it's not a Crossbreed :-D .

I'm not a fan of the Crossbreed holsters, either.

Deer_Freak
February 8, 2013, 04:28 PM
I have bought a couple nice Kydex holsters on Ebay for a good price. I bought a shoulder holster on Ebay that worked very well. I could not see paying a name brand price when I was going to have to take the holster to a seamstress regardless. By the time the seamstress was done with the holster you could use it for a strap to pull a truck out of the mud.

I picked up a holster for my Ruger Blackhawk that fit it perfectly. The holster has six ammo loops on the front and an ambidexterous design with metal clip so the holster can be used IWB or OWB. I thought it was an excellent value for $13 shipped to my front door. The holster is similar to a Bulldog or Blackhawk in quality and design.

Iggy
February 9, 2013, 06:46 PM
ba ba booey,

These fellers have all got lots of opinions on holsters, but I'll bet a dollar to a donut, they all got a box of holsters that din't work out just like I do.:evil:

You'll have one too before you find the one that's just right..;)

Enjoy the quest.

mike.
February 12, 2013, 06:16 PM
If ya bought it cause you liked it i would not worry to much about what the "pros" say

RIATAC45
February 23, 2013, 02:16 PM
+1 for Mr. Theis! I have one of his for my XD45, the quality and customer service are top notch. I have no problem concealing a 4" XD, and I'm 5'7" and 165lbs.

If you enjoyed reading about "Check out these hand made holsters on Ebay!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!