Pattern and velocity vs barrel length on SBS?

PDA

Njal Thorgeirsson
February 1, 2013, 01:01 PM
Hello,

Lately I've been considering SBS-ing a cheap H&R 12 gauge on form 1 (just for fun, and because I don't have any NFA weapos yet).

But I really can't decide how short I would like to make the barrel. I just want to use it for casual clay shooting and plinking with home-cast slug reloads. Is there some kind of threshold for effectiveness (velocity and pattern) vs barrel length? What is the shortest you might recommend for my casual purposes?

Also, i could certainly turn down (if necessary) and thread the end of the barrel for a poly-choke as well. Do you think doing so would improve performance noticeably with a barrel between, say, 9 and 13 inches?

Thanks!!

If you enjoyed reading about "Pattern and velocity vs barrel length on SBS?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
forindooruseonly
February 1, 2013, 03:03 PM
My 11 inch, cylinder bore, SBS shoots about the same pattern as my 20 inch, cylinder bore Mossberg 500. Not much of a difference at all. I think that length of barrel doesn't make much of a difference, only the choke in it.

A poly-choke would help if you wanted to go that route, but my goodness they're ugly. I seriously considered having screw-in chokes installed on mine, but with a SxS the cost is doubled, so it would have been an expensive addition for no real reason.

Can't help you on the velocity side of things, I never chrono'd anything out of mine.

Sav .250
February 1, 2013, 03:33 PM
Some powders need a certain lenght to maximize it`s effectiveness in relation
to the full benefit of the load.

Course you can shorten the barrel to any lenght you like . As long as it`s legal.

Charger442
February 4, 2013, 11:58 AM
like was mentioned, i would try and see if your getting unburned powder with a shorter barrel. if you don't mind that happening, then i don't see a problem with it and for the effective range of a SBS, it may not matter much.

If you enjoyed reading about "Pattern and velocity vs barrel length on SBS?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!