More potential breakage: load balancer change

PDA

Derek Zeanah
February 1, 2013, 02:42 PM
Sometimes, when THR has issues, it makes web browsers have issues.

I'm working on fixing that now. Hopefully there will only be a few seconds of downtime, but we'll never know until, well, we know.

So here goes...

If you enjoyed reading about "More potential breakage: load balancer change" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
izhevsk
February 1, 2013, 02:49 PM
Good luck - you tell those SLB's what's up.

Derek Zeanah
February 1, 2013, 02:51 PM
Well, it looks like that worked. I'm kind of in shock though.

Let's wait for it to all come apart...

Derek Zeanah
February 1, 2013, 02:53 PM
Well, everything seems to be working.

I'm still in doubt though. Nothing in IT is ever this easy. :confused:

Derek Zeanah
February 1, 2013, 04:03 PM
Well, that might have broken things in a nonintuitive way. Things looked fine to me, but users online was dropping, and there was some weirdness with non-logged-in users.

Now running on one web server, non-load-balanced.

Let's see if things look normal now.

Waywatcher
February 1, 2013, 04:08 PM
For a while there, I wasn't able to log in. It kept telling me I had used up my failed password quota and had to wait 15 minutes. I waited 20, typed in my username and password one time, and it gave me the same message. Tried this twice. Online now, obviously. :)

Derek Zeanah
February 1, 2013, 04:09 PM
Yeah, that was me. I knew it was too easy...

Derek Zeanah
February 1, 2013, 04:33 PM
Found the problem. Trying again.

<fingers crossed>

Derek Zeanah
February 1, 2013, 04:36 PM
Nope. That just broke it again.

I'll try again in the early AM.

Texan Scott
February 1, 2013, 06:05 PM
Sometimes, computer stuff gets full of sparks and smoke (the stuff that powers the internet). When that happens, the best thing to do is usually to beat it with a hammer until the sparks and smoke come out, like exorcism. Also works well for cellphones- only they fill up with green plastic bits. A large hammer gets the little green bits out in no time.

Old Fuff
February 1, 2013, 06:08 PM
Not to worry...

What ever happens rhe rest of us will survive. ;)

izhevsk
February 1, 2013, 06:18 PM
It's all about getting that magic smoke back in the box. :)

Derek Zeanah
February 1, 2013, 06:26 PM
It's all about getting that magic smoke back in the box.
In my experience, once all the magic smoke gets out of the box, it's time for a new box. :p

If you enjoyed reading about "More potential breakage: load balancer change" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!