115 grain lead bullet out of a 3006?

PDA

rskent
February 2, 2013, 06:33 AM
A friend of mine suggested that I try shooting light lead bullets out of my 03A3 using trail boss powder. I'm thinking he was pulling my leg. I tried it.
What a dismal failure. I couldn’t keep um on paper at 25yards. I followed the trail boss directions as far as loading. I can only guess that I was going
way to fast or way to slow. I have been trying to find a good recipe, no luck. :(

The question is, does anyone have a good accurate load for a 115 lead bullet out of a 3006 using trail boss powder?

If you enjoyed reading about "115 grain lead bullet out of a 3006?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
FROGO207
February 2, 2013, 07:11 AM
I have not tried that combo yet but if you email IMR they might be able to suggest a good load for you to try. I am thinking a casing 1/2 full or less with some Dacron to hold the TB near the primer will get OK results but this is only a guess.:scrutiny: Also are you using .309 or larger lead bullets? If not the bullets may not be sealing well and this is your problem.

JLDickmon
February 2, 2013, 09:53 AM
might not have the correct speed for the twist rate..

did you use a 100% density load like they tell you to?

rskent
February 2, 2013, 03:40 PM
FROG0207 Yes I am using .309 bullets. I picked them up on line. Two of the reviews mentioned that they used them in 3006 with good results. No load data though.

JLDickman The starting load in the directions is 70%. Have you had good luck with 100% loads? At 70% they feel like shooting a 22. I wouldn't think 100% would be a big deal. As far as the twist rate, I have no idea.

If you enjoyed reading about "115 grain lead bullet out of a 3006?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!