Time to start a new meme about ARs, and other black rifles.

PDA

TCB in TN
February 2, 2013, 03:30 PM
It has been bandied about several times that we need to take control of the discussion and come up with a new name for "Assault Rifles" or "EBRs" or "Tactical Rifles" so start thinking of names that are catchy, descriptive, and will help us to frame the conversation. Throw out your ideas and lets see if we can start moving it in our direction.

How about MDR's Modular Defense Rifles.
Or MDRS Modular Defense Rifle Systems

ARs are set up to be just that. Excellent ergonomics (adjustable LoP), easily adapted to different shooters, different optics, different purposes (load multi mags with different ammo), different calibers (multiple uppers) etc.

If you enjoyed reading about "Time to start a new meme about ARs, and other black rifles." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
xfyrfiter
February 2, 2013, 03:39 PM
Already have a name "modern sporting rifle"easy to remember, and not offensive.

akv3g4n
February 2, 2013, 03:42 PM
I think that we should just continue to try to educate people about what an AR actually is and isn't. Further explaining that it is a great rifle because of it's ability to be used for a multitude of purposes by people of all walks of life. AR15 shouldn't be a pejorative term. I don't think renaming it will address the issue. People will still see it in the same form and jump to the same conclusions.

LevelHead
February 2, 2013, 04:03 PM
I've always liked "Defense Weapons", since that's what all of mine are.

twofifty
February 2, 2013, 04:07 PM
Modular Sporting Rifle

hak
February 2, 2013, 04:13 PM
Modular Sporting Rifle

I had the "why do you have and AR?" talk with my mom the other day. The whole RKBA, 2A, tyranny, all that wasn't convincing. When I explained that the same lower (that had my preferred trigger, grip, stock) could be "reused" with different uppers with different calibers with their own optics porting over... She got that. "so it's ergonomic and practical?". Me: "exactly".

radiotom
February 2, 2013, 04:16 PM
I always thought "scary black rifle" was pretty effective. It's pretty obvious to anybody as soon as it rolls off your tongue that you're making fun of the people who don't like them...and extremely easy to explain why and back up.

BHP FAN
February 2, 2013, 04:16 PM
your mom rocks.

TCB in TN
February 2, 2013, 04:17 PM
Already have a name "modern sporting rifle"easy to remember, and not offensive.

Unfortunately very few (including us) use it. For it to be effective IMHO it has to be be wide spread. Hence the need to find something many will use.

Skyshot
February 2, 2013, 04:21 PM
how about just calling them a carbine.

bri
February 2, 2013, 05:16 PM
Modular Sporting Rifle
I like this, spread the word.

k_dawg
February 2, 2013, 05:18 PM
I do not understand why manufactures did not simply call it something else. Or at least change the model names, so they are not "ARs". At least that would make it harder to write catch-all legislation.

AlexanderA
February 2, 2013, 06:07 PM
I don't like the terms, "modern sporting rifle," "modular sporting rifle," or anything with the word "sporting" in it. This concedes the premise of the antigunners that the only legitimate use of guns is for "sporting" purposes. Is self-defense "sporting"? I think not...

ApacheCoTodd
February 2, 2013, 07:03 PM
I get it by context but what's MEME?

Rifle is my vote, otherwise where it applies... carbine.

akv3g4n
February 2, 2013, 07:04 PM
The only manufacturers that call them ARs are Colt and Armalite. AR15 is trademarked by Colt (bought from Armalite) so,legally, other manufacturers can't call their carbines AR15s.

hso
February 2, 2013, 07:05 PM
They're not all "modular".

tyeo098
February 2, 2013, 08:47 PM
'Sporting' implies that 'non-sporting' features can be banned. Flash-hiders, bayolugs, can all go.

Homeland Defense Rifle

wild cat mccane
February 2, 2013, 08:54 PM
Supreme Court already did. "assault weapon"

The 1994 ban went to the the Supreme Court. SC ruled legal because AR aren't for self defense purposes.

So if not defense, then they are for...

thelaststand
February 2, 2013, 09:11 PM
There's a page on Facebook called "modern musket"

Sam Boca
February 3, 2013, 01:33 AM
We call them "Donuts" at work so nosey co-workers don't know what we're talking about :)

We call ammo "munchkins"

tyeo098
February 3, 2013, 02:36 AM
We call them "Donuts" at work so nosey co-workers don't know what we're talking about :)

We call ammo "munchkins"
The only reference I can make to that is my DP-28 being a 'Pancake gun' and x54R being 'Pancake batter'

Although in all fairness I do not have a DP-28 (I'm sure Trent does :P) and the entirety of above took place on calladooty. Still hilarious to hear me running around screaming 'IM OUT OF BATTER"

Honest John Sparks
February 3, 2013, 02:39 AM
I just think "Service Rifle" applies to all of the firearms that have been used from the 03-A3 to the current production. Always will be correct for the situation.
Just my 2 cents

hogshead
February 3, 2013, 02:48 AM
I believe Jeff Cooper called them poodle shooters. That seems very non threatening to me. PETA might take up the fight though.

nathan
February 3, 2013, 03:01 AM
Give it where credit is due, as the Modern Stoner Carbine. AK is synonymous as the Kalashnikov .

Hacker15E
February 3, 2013, 07:48 AM
Supreme Court already did. "assault weapon"

The 1994 ban went to the the Supreme Court. SC ruled legal because AR aren't for self defense purposes.

What SCOTUS case was it that ruled on the 1994 AWB?

Jesse Wales
February 3, 2013, 08:26 AM
or scary black (seim auto) fiream when ur speaking in private to persons trying to make them understand the difference

between ...................

matchstick : single fire

bic lighter : semiauto fire

barbeque grill lighter : assault fire

MrCleanOK
February 3, 2013, 09:02 AM
What happened to rifle?

ACP
February 3, 2013, 09:22 AM
You can't create a new "meme", no matter what NRA wants to do in the wake of Newtown.

The rifle has been around for half a century as a military arm. That's what it was designed to be. That's what it is.

"Modern sporting rifle" would be great if it was actually used by a majority of hunters for sporting purposes. But it's not. It's a violent gun games/wannabe SWAT/own it do defend yourself against the liberals in government gun. And I own two of them.

Trying to re-brand something that can't be rebranded just shows how desperate the situation is. Accept the rifle for what it is and move on.

Manco
February 3, 2013, 09:57 AM
Simpler is generally better, but if you must call them something besides "rifle" then call them "defense rifles," the opposite of "assault rifles." Who cares what features they typically have, the point is to let people know what they're intended for without getting overly technical.

MadMonkey
February 3, 2013, 05:27 PM
I'm not sure that renaming/rebranding is going to be an effective tactic at this point.

For years a portion of gun owners have been content to allow the "AR" to stand for "assault rifle", refusing to correct their friends and family out of ignorance or laziness. The media is no help for the same reason, except their ignorance/laziness serves their own agenda. Even my AK is not truly an "AK", and I still refer to it as such since I know of no term for a semi-auto Kalashnikov.

As is usually the case, we have a public at large that believes incorrectly, same as the difference between automatic and semi-automatic. I believe our best bet is changing the perception of the firearm(s) in question as well as the stereotypes of gun owners in general. No anti I know of cares the slightest bit about the history and nomenclature of the AR and every time I talk about it with one of them, their eyes glaze over. Explaining how the weapon works and its valid uses gains me much more ground.

Posted from Thehighroad.org App for Android

B!ngo
February 3, 2013, 05:54 PM
It's probably all too late to change the naming and meme of the AR-derived carbine and rifle.
I suspect that most anti-gunners (and don't conflate them with liberals; I'm a liberal but I'm not anti-gun) don't know that AR does not stand for Assault Rifle. In that regard, it's a pity that the gun industry and enthusiasts allowed that connection to happen.
Seems to me that, regardless of history and acronym misuse, that there is a big difference between a government mil-spec AR/M4 and the one used by civilians. Because the civilian version doesn't have a burst or automatic selector switch, the AR is NOT an assault rifle any more than a Gunsight Scout is an assault rifle. It may look like one, but it just isn't.
Of course it is the 'look' that has sold the rifle and benefitted gun manufacturers but it is also the look that has motivated anti-gunners to equivalence it to a real battle rifle and thus question its value and utility for a civilian.
Citing those differences in name and description, and never ever using the word 'assault rifle' to describe them is essential.
B

blkbrd666
February 3, 2013, 06:15 PM
Mister Rogers Rifle! MRR-15 :evil:

GEM
February 4, 2013, 01:45 PM
Said this a zillion times, trying to make you gun nice and not dangerous isn't going to work.

The 2nd Amend. is predictated on them being efficacious.

Otherwise - go with Joe Biden's - you can't miss - double barrel shotgun.

Please, please - Mister LEO - don't take my nice Modern Sporting Rifle, please!!!

It only has a 5 round clip of copkiller bullets since the 2013 clip thingee ban.

I'm sorry.

Sapper771
February 4, 2013, 03:00 PM
If I had to choose , I like Modern Sporting Rifle...... MSR for short. Catchy.

At the moment it is Carbine for carbines , rifles for rifles, and long rifle for bolt guns.

Ramone
February 4, 2013, 04:04 PM
I call mine 'Civil Rights Rifles'

jakk280rem
February 4, 2013, 06:52 PM
Rifle is my vote, otherwise where it applies... carbine.

second the motion, all in favor say aye...

It's just a rifle.

beatledog7
February 4, 2013, 07:57 PM
Any moniker that includes "sport" or "sporting" implies that the rifles we value most for defense against tyranny are held for sporting purposes. That makes it too easy for haters to say, ok, if they're for sport, why do you need 30 rounds? It also makes way for the argument that 2A is about hunting.

Yes, they are sometimes used for sport, but putting that into the meme, as the OP puts it, is unwise.

Sharps-shooter
February 4, 2013, 10:16 PM
I call them 'rifles'. I might further describe them as 'semiautomatic rifles' or 'rifles that have plastic stocks instead of wooden ones'. I'm honestly not sure what qualifies a thing as an 'assault rifle', and it seems that no one else is exactly sure either. A .308 machine gun is an 'assault weapon', but that seems to be something different.

I keep hearing things or reading things that suggest that a lot of non-users of guns think we are talking about extremely powerful automatic weapons, such as--

--a statement by one of feinsteins event speakers saying 'you cant hunt with them, there would be nothing left to eat' when in fact a rabbit shot with an AR 15 in .223 looks just like a rabbit shot with a .22

-- a statement that Lanza 'blasted his way in; thats the kind of power you get with an assault rifle'; by which they meant he broke a window (all rifles and some rocks are capable of this)

-- the perpetual statement that 'you cant hunt deer with them', which besides being irrelevant is untrue; although some states don't allow semiautomatics.
Also the .223 is a bit on the small side for deer.

--the frequent statement that these are military weapons, when in fact they are specially made for the civilian market.

So we need to stress that we are talking about guns that are not machine guns. And whenever someone mentions assault weapons, i find it helpful to ask what an assault weapon is.

commygun
February 4, 2013, 11:43 PM
PDR. Personal Defence Rifle.

If you enjoyed reading about "Time to start a new meme about ARs, and other black rifles." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!