Adventures in CCW and tuxedo fitting

PDA

QuarterBoreGunner
March 9, 2004, 02:32 PM
My very good friend and former co-worker Jason, is getting married in June. Jason and his fiancée Heather live in Virginia, but their family is out here on the Left Coast, which is where the wedding is to take place. Jason and Heather were my houseguests this last weekend so that we (I have the distinct honor and dubious privilege of being a groomsman) could be fitted for tuxes.

I was the only one armed as Cali has no CCW reciprocity with any other state (idiotic I know… but the state .gov doesn’t trust the majority of the resident populace with arms… why would they trust visitors any more?). I had my Glock 30 IWB as usual and everything was going fine until the tailor (a Mister Chow, of Shanghai Chow’s World Famous Tailors, 64 years in the business and looking like a survivor of Mao’s Long March. Like Mister Chow says “A Number 1 tuxedos! Ask anyone!”) went to measure my waist.

I had a moment’s hesitation, but Mister Chow is a professional and didn’t even ask what I had on my hip. Probably wouldn’t have mattered much anyway, as it seems that the older generation doesn’t have the same irrational bias that many of my generation do about firearms. Besides, he doubtless could have answered the riddle; ‘Hey Mister Chow? What grows out of the barrel of a gun?’

And now my decision to carry at the wedding has been made for me. I have to carry now, as my tux pants are a Glock 30 larger than my actual waist size. Granted a Glock isn’t in the same class as your Texas BBQ Gun, or a nice going-to-church gun, but it will have to do.

So if you’re near Shooter's Paradise (http://www.shooters-paradise.com/) in Woodbridge, VA, stop on by and congratulate Jason on his upcoming nuptials. It’ll confuse the heck out of him. If he asks how you know he’s getting married tell him that ‘Chris on The High Road told me…’

If you enjoyed reading about "Adventures in CCW and tuxedo fitting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
OEF_VET
March 9, 2004, 03:11 PM
I'm getting fitted for my tux this Friday, for my June 19th wedding. Unfortunately, the wedding will be in IL, so my decision' been made for me as well, a big, fat, resounding NO! Damn Illinois. Oh well, a good percentage of the guests (and my future FIL) are local cops, including the Chief of Police. I dare someone to try something that day.

And for those of you wondering, no, my future FIL will not have a shotgun pointed at my back. It's not that type of party. :D

Frank

RepublicanMan
March 9, 2004, 03:25 PM
Man can I relate......I got married last year and had to stop off for a tux fitting after work one day. Well it had been a LONG day and I'd completely forgotten I had my 92FS in a small of the back IWB setup. The young guy that actually did the measuring was somewhat surprised to say the least. :what:

Oleg Volk
March 9, 2004, 03:50 PM
OEF_VET, did whoever chose Illinois as the location realize that means not having me around to take wedding photos?

Correia
March 9, 2004, 03:59 PM
I had the same thing happen to me when I got fitted for my Brother's wedding.

CLUNK.

"Whats that?"

"My .45."

"Oh... cool."

Man I love Utah. :)

Standing Wolf
March 9, 2004, 04:53 PM
Lives are as worthy of protection in churches as everywhere else.

OEF_VET
March 9, 2004, 04:59 PM
Oleg,

The wedding is in Angie's hometown, in the church her family has attended for 20+ years. The site and photographer were both picked a long time ago, well before I knew you man.

entropy
March 9, 2004, 05:19 PM
My mother-in-law patted me down before the wedding. We(the groomsmen and I ) had gone shooting when we woke up. Since it was -10F, the shooting consisted of me sticking my arm out the window of the car and shooting at a tree out on her folks' back 40! It was a Ruger Blackhawk in .41 Mag., 4 3/8" bbl., and to this day I have never felt more recoil from a pistol! And I've shot a .45-70 T/C!:what:

scbair
March 9, 2004, 06:07 PM
I was in law enforcement when I got married 25 years ago. The bride-to-be and I went to the tux place, and I had my .45 Commander in an IWB. When the young man started to measure my waist, I said, "Wait!" I drew my badge from my pocket to warn him in advance I was a cop, so the pistol wouldn't scare him (too badly, anyway). He saw the badge and almost freaked before I explained; he hadn't yet seen the pistol.

Always wondered why he had such a guilty conscience . . .:D :D

Vern Humphrey
March 9, 2004, 06:15 PM
My wife demanded that I get a suit (I haven't owned one since I retired from the Army.)

We were visiting my oldest daughter, who lives in York County, Virginia, and the younger daughter (who lives in New Jersey and works in New York) came down, too. And all three of them ganged up on me.

They frog-marched me into The Men's Wharehouse for a fitting, and a little Chinese girl was taking my measures. As she was measuring the waist, I shoved my hand inside my waistband, making my waist a bit bigger.

She said, "Oh, you carry a gun."

Smart girl. :D

Andrew Rothman
March 9, 2004, 07:06 PM
Wow. I gotta move to Virginia.

Country Boy
March 9, 2004, 07:11 PM
It was Christmas of 2001, and I was to be married June of 2002. My fiancee and I were walking by the bridal shop where we were going to rent our tux's, and before I realize it, the owner is taking measurements. She measured the waist and felt a bulge and said, "do you want to take off your cell phone?". No, it's all right, those pants are adjustable anyway!

Vern Humphrey
March 9, 2004, 07:38 PM
Virginia and Arkansas tend to be very gun-friendly. That's not to say there aren't some left-wing elbows always trying to infringe on the 2nd Amendment, but by and large, people just yawn.

jsalcedo
March 9, 2004, 11:25 PM
I was slated to be best man in my nephews wedding.

Went in with him to pick out what tux we all would wear.

Unexpectedly the future mother in law insisted we all get measured immediately.

I told her no. I didn't want the tuxedo guy to freak out and store was full of folks unknown to me. Plus exposing a firearm in public in front of strangers is a good way to lose a license.

The mother in law was pissed off that I told her I wasn't getting measured
for a tux that day. When repeatedly questioned I just told her my iron count was high today and It was causing my pants to fit snug.

I couldn't carry to the wedding anyway because it was held at the NCO club of a local military base.

Ironbarr
March 9, 2004, 11:58 PM
how (why) do you get measured six months in advance? I could gain 20 lbs in that time - not counting blue-suede bulge.

Must be a deal clincher for the shops.

Bob F.
March 10, 2004, 12:05 AM
Went to the Sears hardware dept: "Hey, man, I need a little help here",
"Yes, sir?"
" I need an Allen wrench".
"Yes, sir, they're right over there".
"Well, I need someone to shield me. The wrench is for the rear sight on my .45. I'm legal but I don't want to scare anyone."
"Oh, OK"
He stood on one side in front of me while I check the wrench for fit. Cool.
Love country living!

Stay safe.
Bob

Docwithglock
March 10, 2004, 01:24 AM
I'm getting married in two months! Unfortunatly I can not carry at the wedding because the ceremony is in another country (New Jersey). The honeymoon however, is going to be in ALASKA! YEEEEE HAAAAA!
Also, my future mother in law is quite anti. I tried to set her strait once... not worth the aggrivation. We usually get along great, but I'd hate for her to call the Jersey stormtroopers on me.
Maybe I can get a really loud alarm whistle! That is still OK in Jersey (last I checked).:uhoh:

SMLE
March 10, 2004, 06:19 AM
In his autobiography, G. Gordon Liddy said he wore his FBI sidearm under his tux. After the ceremony, his father noticed it and wryly asked if Liddy's bride actually married him of her own free will.

Glock_PhD
March 10, 2004, 10:29 AM
This got me thinking. We guys get shafted here we go to the store and spend 100 bucks on a tux where the bride spends well sometimes in the thousands on a dress. I say a new tradition starts right now. We need to start accesorizing our tuxes. This means that the groom can spen as much on a new gun or guns as the bride does on the dress. They have to be guns worn with the tux as they are accessories. Therefore I suggest something classy I think reveolver or 1911 would be your only choices here with real nice finshes and pearl grips. Of course you must adjust accordigly to match your tux and the theme of the wedding of course.

Docwithglock
March 10, 2004, 11:37 AM
This got me thinking. We guys get shafted here we go to the store and spend 100 bucks on a tux where the bride spends well sometimes in the thousands on a dress. I say a new tradition starts right now. We need to start accesorizing our tuxes. This means that the groom can spen as much on a new gun or guns as the bride does on the dress. They have to be guns worn with the tux as they are accessories. Therefore I suggest something classy I think reveolver or 1911 would be your only choices here with real nice finshes and pearl grips. Of course you must adjust accordigly to match your tux and the theme of the wedding of course.

My fiance bought me a nice 1911. An unexpected surprise at the time, but recently she told me it was partially out of guilt because she spent $5k on a dress! I like the idea of accessorizing. However, like I said... Jersey *****! The way I look at it I can get 3 or 4 more really nice guns before the guilt goes completely away.;)

OF
March 10, 2004, 11:43 AM
I just told her my iron count was high today and It was causing my pants to fit snug.HA! :D

- Gabe

sturmruger
March 10, 2004, 12:00 PM
The tough thing about tuxes is they usually don't have any type of belt. All they have are those adjustable side thingeys. All of my holsters need a good strong belt to work properly. I guess I would have to purchase a shoulder rig, or maybe a paddly holster. Could you imagine if someone decided to carry mexican style and their piece fell out right in the middle of aisle!!! The bride would probably faint dead away.

Mute
March 10, 2004, 12:14 PM
You live in Frisco and you have a CCW?

McNutt
March 10, 2004, 01:03 PM
What kind of holster are you guys wearing with a tux?

QuarterBoreGunner
March 10, 2004, 01:38 PM
The tough thing about tuxes is they usually don't have any type of belt. All they have are those adjustable side thingeys Ack! You're RIGHT! I didn't think of that... ok time for Plan B. What was Plan B again? Paddle holster it is. I do have a Galco shoulder rig I picked up back in the day (out of sheer cussedness not out of any sense of usefulness), I really wish I had something chrome plated to carry... a Glock is so plain.

Mute- Yes I do, but my method of getting CCW approval is not recommended over the standard process. And no, large sums of money did not change hands.

tommytrauma
March 10, 2004, 02:05 PM
Could you imagine if someone decided to carry mexican style and their piece fell out right in the middle of aisle!!!

Go over to ar15.com and ask tango7 about Daves second wedding. I almost pissed myself laughing at the expression on the bride's mother's face!

In my social circle, part of the groomsmen's job is being ready to deal with any problems that might arise, allowing the groom to concentrate on his bride. Thus, we tend to have everything from extra cash to jumper cables to a trauma kit to, well... lots of hardware.

Hey, any excuse, right?

So far, after several weddings, all we've needed is a spare tire and jack, a bang aid, and bail money.

Amish_Bill
March 10, 2004, 10:30 PM
This got me thinking. We guys get shafted here we go to the store and spend 100 bucks on a tux where the bride spends well sometimes in the thousands on a dress. I say a new tradition starts right now. We need to start accesorizing our tuxes. This means that the groom can spen as much on a new gun or guns as the bride does on the dress. They have to be guns worn with the tux as they are accessories. Therefore I suggest something classy I think reveolver or 1911 would be your only choices here with real nice finshes and pearl grips. Of course you must adjust accordigly to match your tux and the theme of the wedding of course. Glock Doc - I have had a plan for a while now... the trick is finding a girl that will let me do it!

As Groom's Gifts for the Groomsmen, DPMS Artic Panthers (http://www.dpmsinc.com/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=RFA2-AP). (Very Classy black & white "Dress" rifles) Slung during the ceremony, of course... ;-) ... hmmm... I wonder of you can order them as carbines....

Tommy - went to two weddings "in the circle" recently. I think all the core male invitees were packing something or another. My favorite is the "pretty" Ti .38 in an ankle rig. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Adventures in CCW and tuxedo fitting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!