Lee Load All II powder measuring

PDA

Skribs
February 2, 2013, 08:33 PM
I have a recipe that calls for 28.5 grains of powder. This particular powder in the Lee Load All II can come in 28.2 or 29.5 grains using the provided bushings. Would it be safe to load the slightly larger amount, or should I play it safe and go 28.2?

If you enjoyed reading about "Lee Load All II powder measuring" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
oneounceload
February 2, 2013, 09:16 PM
You need to weigh the charge to see what it is actually dropping. The LLA is notorious for not being the most accurate

blarby
February 2, 2013, 10:53 PM
You need to weigh the charge to see what it is actually dropping. The LLA is notorious for not being the most accurate

This.

I'd start with the higher bushing- you might be suprised.

Skribs
February 2, 2013, 11:11 PM
So let's say I weigh both and it occurs that the weight in the recipe is between the weights of the bushings. Would it be safe to go up or would it be better to go down?

rcmodel
February 2, 2013, 11:13 PM
It won't be too heavy, or Lee wouldn't have sold it to you or printed the instructions.
Thats for sure!

Buy some scales if you want to know what you are doing a tall.

rc

blarby
February 2, 2013, 11:23 PM
So let's say I weigh both and it occurs that the weight in the recipe is between the weights of the bushings. Would it be safe to go up or would it be better to go down?

Thats going to depend entirely on :

Your Hull

Your Wad

Your Payload

Your Primer

Simple, huh ?

hAkron
February 2, 2013, 11:39 PM
Get a scale. Run about 15 powder throws with each bushing to verify what they really throw. You can buy a small bushing for $10 (plus shipping) and open it up with a file until it throws the exact charge you want
https://fsreloading.com/parts.php?product=90011&col=1

If it were me, I would make 10 or so from each bushing and see which one shoots better.

huntsman
February 3, 2013, 12:18 AM
start with the lighter charge bushing run 5 shotshells through the cycle then scale your charge. If you're under the load weight shoot them and see how they pattern. The load all II has been a great tool for me but I don't run heavy volume or change loads.

PJSprog
February 4, 2013, 03:05 PM
The difference between 28.2 and 29.5 will be noticeable, but not dangerous. I like the idea of just buying a new bushing and modifying it to throw what you need. Me personally, I'd go with the lower charge first. But, I always load minimum charges. (I use the smallest bushings on both sides for 20g loads for my fiance's 870.) Really like my LoadAll II.

If you enjoyed reading about "Lee Load All II powder measuring" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!