We Could Use Tom Selleck About Now...

PDA

SharpsDressedMan
February 2, 2013, 08:29 PM
I know he has a lower profile with the NRA as of late, but the TV police commissioner could get on board and take a public pro-gun stance with the NRA over the semi-auto/assault/magazine rage, and set people straight. Mr. Heston, we miss you!

If you enjoyed reading about "We Could Use Tom Selleck About Now..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
February 2, 2013, 08:37 PM
We could use Slim Pickens, Bob Hope, John Milius, Tennessee Ernie Ford, R. Lee Ermey, Kim Rhode, Robert Stack, John Wayne, and Superman too.

But we ain't gonna get them.

rc

HOOfan_1
February 2, 2013, 08:41 PM
We do have Lee Ermey though.....he is out there fighting the good fight

Apple a Day
February 2, 2013, 08:47 PM
I agree that we could use a high profile, calm, reasonable personality to persuade and debunk the wild-eyed, extremist caricature that the anti's are trying to paint.
God bless Ted Nugent but I'm not sure he does more help than harm.
LaPierre tries hard but he's just not cute and cuddly.
So, who DO we have that can add a little charm?

jim243
February 2, 2013, 08:48 PM
But we ain't gonna get them.

RC you crack me up (LOL).

As for Ermey he's bought and paid for by Glock.

Jim

rcmodel
February 2, 2013, 10:48 PM
Well, Glock could pay him to stop screaming in a drill Instructor voice he never used in the military as a drill instructor, but only in the old Vietnam movies he was in.

And use a calm approach like a normal rational person he could be paid by Glock to be.

He is a pretty good character actor after all.

rc

hso
February 2, 2013, 10:51 PM
Ermey has no gravitas. He's a cartoon character.

We need someone universally respected (or nearly so). We also need someone who can stand criticism and who can think on their feet.

Heston was a civil rights advocate that put his career on the line during the civil right marches. We need someone like that.

beeenbag
February 2, 2013, 10:53 PM
Brad Pitt and angelina jolie is who we need. They would be great!

jfrey
February 2, 2013, 11:04 PM
I'm thinking more along the lines of Ronnie Barrett, Bill Wilson, or Jesse Duff. Jesse was great on Hannity. Ronnie knows how to speak his mind and apparently he means it. We've had enough of the Hollywood types turn on us.

OilyPablo
February 2, 2013, 11:36 PM
Wayne has a look not much appreciated by middle of the roaders.

OTOH he instantly turns the libs absolutely stark raving mad. Which is completely entertaining.

Someone like Tom Selleck would be good at some level.

SharpsDressedMan
February 3, 2013, 07:42 AM
At this time, Selleck has the national recognition, charm, and air or credibility (I think he even GAINED ground with some of the left leaning when he responded to Rosie in such a civilized fashion) that would go a long way if he started speaking rationally about crime, mental health, 2nd Amendment, and responsible gun ownership. Peopole would listen.

vito
February 3, 2013, 07:57 AM
I'm convinced that if Tom Selleck agreed to be the NRA spokesman the media would turn against him in a heartbeat, portraying him as an out of touch weirdo, just as the smeared the reputation and integrity of Charlton Heston when he was in that role. What might be more persuasive would be a series of national ads showing ordinary, salt-of-the-earth citizens who used a firearm responsibly to stop a crime or prevent a crime. A picture of a middle aged family man, who is a school teacher, a plumber, a physician or whatever with his family, and text relating the incident. Done over time with different folks, different stories, but all stressing the positive use of firearms might get some out there to see guns in a different light. Hunters are a shrinking portion of our society, so it is critical that we show that the 2nd Amendment was not put in the Constitution to protect the right to hunt, but to protect our rights, period, by ordinary citizens.

baz
February 3, 2013, 08:01 AM
Friday evening's episode of Blue Bloods portrayed a lefty caricature of a conservative. I thought I was watching Law & Order. It pained me to see Selleck go along with a script like that. I hope he isn't getting soft in his old age.

vito
February 3, 2013, 09:49 AM
I watched that episode as well, and I would not describe the individual portrayed as a conservative. I thought they were clearly showing him as a white supremacist, anti-Semitic, American Nazi type. Had the character just been a right wing conservative radio host but was still treated as he was in the episode, then I too would be disappointed. I consider myself a very conservative individual, a believer in this great county and our Constitution, but certainly do not equate my beliefs with any concept of white supremacism or anti-Semitism.

barnbwt
February 3, 2013, 10:41 AM
We do have Lee Ermey though.....he is out there fighting the good fight

Man, he's scarier to the anti's/undecideds than we are! :D

TCB

doubleh
February 3, 2013, 10:58 AM
I'm in agreement with vito.

scaatylobo
February 3, 2013, 10:58 AM
Tom Seleck would be a GREAT speaker and leader for the cause of the people.

A few friends have seen him at SHOT and a few other gun shows and he is a high roller collector and shooter.

bds
February 3, 2013, 11:04 AM
I found this - http://gunssavelives.net/blog/11-pro-gun-celebrities-yes-they-do-exist/

I would love to see Tom Selleck and James Earl Jones stand together in a new media campaign to represent the NRA/Second Amendment. :D

Tom Selleck
Selleck is a member of the NRA, an NRA board member and one of the NRA’s spokesman. Selleck has long found himself defending his views throughout his career, but has remained a staunch supporter of the Second Amendment.

James Earl Jones
Jones once said, “The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.” Jones is also a member of the NRA.

Clint Eastwood
This list obviously wouldn’t be complete without Dirty Harry himself. Eastwood once said, “I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”

Ice-T
The rapper/actor is not only a supporter of the right to bear arms, but it sounds like he understands the historical point of thee Second Amendment better than most. Saying earlier this year following the shooting in Colorado, “The right to bear arms is because that’s the last form of defense against tyranny. Not to hunt.”
There are more pro gun celebrities at the link.

OilyPablo
February 3, 2013, 11:49 AM
So what are the actual chances of getting a better spokesperson for the NRA? No offense, but LaPierre comes across as someone you would think a ______________ would look like. Hey, he knows his stuff. I think his inside leadership skills are decent, but frankly he is a terrible spokesman. I'm just calling them as I see 'em.

zorro45
February 3, 2013, 11:58 AM
Tom Selleck would be a great spokesperson. Ice-T also gives a righteous explanation of the RKBA. But just a sideways stare at the antis from CHUCK NORRIS would send them all packing. (packing to go home that is)

SpentCasing
February 3, 2013, 11:59 AM
How bout Chuck Woolery?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evEg1VNfX3o

Killian
February 3, 2013, 01:31 PM
What about that Gangnam Style guy? *rolls eyes* He could pretend to spank an AR15 while jitterbugging.

fdashes
February 3, 2013, 01:47 PM
I don't know who,,,but anyone other than who we have. Sorry but it's true. I am sure Wayne is a great administrator, intelligent and organized. He is just NOT a public speaker.

Cosmoline
February 3, 2013, 02:07 PM
Vito is right. Heston could take the heat, but he was one of a kind and had impeccable credentials. We saw what the MSM did with Eastwood in the last election. Anyone among the Hollywood crowd who steps too far out of line and begins to be a political threat to the leftist dogma is blacklisted and attacked six ways from Sunday. It's a lot to ask of someone to throw away every friendship and future job prospect.

mnrivrat
February 3, 2013, 02:08 PM
Bugs Bunny ! and I am serious - think about it . Dress him up with an Uncle Sam uniform and have him represent our side.

I wonder what the rights would cost ?

Let the anti's demanize Bugs Bunny and see how far they get .

SharpsDressedMan
February 3, 2013, 03:28 PM
Give me someone BETTER than Selleck.............

readyeddy
February 3, 2013, 03:34 PM
We need a woman like Angelina Jolie. We don't need to preach to the choir. We need someone that can reach out to non-traditional gun demographics.

jeepnik
February 3, 2013, 10:09 PM
If Segal hadn't gotten out of shape and started doing movies not even good enough for DVD, he'd have been a good spokesman. He knows of which he speaks when it comes to gun handling (yes, I know there have been a few mis-steps in some movies, but that's more than likely the director's fault).

Selleck could of course, but he does have to make a living in hollywood so...

hemiram
February 4, 2013, 03:00 AM
I like Tom Selleck, but he needs to stop with the dyeing his hair black! He's 68 years old, and it looks ridiculous. He reminds me of a friend's dad who, after his wife died, dyed his hair a strange sort of reddish brown(almost exactly my dog's color) when he started dating at 60. This doesn't work, anymore than Selleck dying his hair black does, but black is better than this:

http://imageshack.us/a/img193/3417/129819150372845385.jpg

Ky Larry
February 4, 2013, 08:44 AM
Our problem isn't who we have speaking for us. Our problem is the stranglehold the libtards have on the media. No matter what we say or who says it, the media will distort, spin. ignore or outright lie about our side of the story. We're looking for our enemy, the news media, to be fair and unbiased. Anybody think that's going to happen?:rolleyes:

vito
February 4, 2013, 08:51 AM
The news media is biased against guns, and biased in favor of Obama and the Democrats, so there is no way that the 2nd Amendment gets a fair shake. Look at the coverage of Fast and Furious by the major TV networks; from virtually nothing to actually nothing. Had this been a Republican administration program it would have dominated the airwaves for months, and probably led to impeachment hearings as a minimum. How often do stories about ordinary citizens using firearms to protect themselves or stop a felony from happening get into the news? Ironically the left wing journalists don't even realize occasionally when they are helping our cause, by reporting on an off-duty LEO using his/her firearm to keep from being the victim of a crime. They don't even seem to think about what such an incident means and what it implies about laws that keep honest citizens from carrying a firearm as well (I live in Illinois where concealed carry is STILL not legal).

230RN
February 4, 2013, 08:56 AM
I was thinking of Hickok45.

http://www.youtube.com/user/hickok45

Earthy, non-intimidating, knowledgable, shows the "fun" in shooting.

I wonder if we could pry him loose from Tennessee.

Thoughts?

Terry, 230RN

bikerdoc
February 4, 2013, 09:02 AM
I think it is time for Chris Cox to take the reins

SharpsDressedMan
February 4, 2013, 04:14 PM
Everything matters when you are waging a war, including who your spokespersons are. I believe Selleck might have more credibility as a whole than Barrack. Actors with a clean background have been elected to high offices, too. We need to explore ALL options of gaining public support, and if a reputable celebrity draws them over to hear or take a look at the TRUTH about guns and the Second Amendment, I welcome it.

InkEd
February 4, 2013, 06:58 PM
We need to get them all together for some PR work.

If you enjoyed reading about "We Could Use Tom Selleck About Now..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!