Stag and walnut skinner

PDA

messerist
February 2, 2013, 11:19 PM
I was finally able to finish one of the blades I have been working on between bouts of frostbite. The cold has hit with a vengeance and my shop/garage is freezing even with my puny heater. Enough whining! The knife is forged from 5160 steel. I made the guard/bolster from a slice of copper, sandwiched between some brass. The handle is a small chunk of sambar stag and walnut from a salvaged gun stock. It is amazing what some folks throw away:what:. OAL is 9 1/4" with a 4" blade. Thanks for looking.

If you enjoyed reading about "Stag and walnut skinner" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JShirley
February 2, 2013, 11:48 PM
Looks stout. :)

Tanasie
February 3, 2013, 12:13 AM
I like it....that's a knife build that was well thought out.

rcmodel
February 3, 2013, 01:04 AM
Ran out of green sanding belts before you got her all ground down smooth on the sides did ya!

NO!
I was just joking! :D

Very nice work.

How you gonna sheath it??
Not much to hold onto there to keep it in a sheath with the wide blade and thin handle.

rc

Piraticalbob
February 3, 2013, 04:43 AM
That's a handsome knife.

JimStC
February 3, 2013, 06:32 AM
Nice work. Thanks for the pictures.
Heck it is cold here in Indiana. I can imagine what it is like up your way.

Jim

hso
February 3, 2013, 08:30 AM
That's right nice!

bikerdoc
February 3, 2013, 09:50 AM
Exceptional work as usual.

heron
February 3, 2013, 07:27 PM
I like the contrast in textures between the handle and blade. Very nice work.

Sam1911
February 3, 2013, 07:39 PM
What a cool blade shape! Nice job!

messerist
February 8, 2013, 11:54 PM
You guys are pure class! RC I will post an update when I have finished with the sheath. The sale of the knife fell through when the buyer found out he was gonna be a daddy...which is good. :) Thanks again for looking and the gracious comments. -Troy

If you enjoyed reading about "Stag and walnut skinner" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!