An observation.

PDA

xxjumbojimboxx
February 3, 2013, 02:05 AM
Heres something I've been thinking about.

It sort of goes into the 9mm vs 45 debate.

Okay so I have a few friends who absolutly wont own (or admit to owning :evil:) any pistol in 9mm. Personally I'm a 9mm kinda guy and would certainly prefer that over a 45. Either way, their reasoning for going with the 45 is because they think the 9 has insufficient fire power.

I get their logic.. But those are the same guys who speak so highly of their AR15s chambered in .223... Why is knock down power so important in your handgun? Yet you choose what is more suitable for a varmint in your battle rifle..

For me its the other way around. I prefer an AK as my battle rifle, and a 9mm with hi capacity as a sidearm...

Anyone care to weigh in? I know you do...

If you enjoyed reading about "An observation." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
meanmrmustard
February 3, 2013, 02:08 AM
Heres something I've been thinking about.

It sort of goes into the 9mm vs 45 debate.

Okay so I have a few friends who absolutly wont own (or admit to owning :evil:) any pistol in 9mm. Personally I'm a 9mm kinda guy and would certainly prefer that over a 45. Either way, their reasoning for going with the 45 is because they think the 9 has insufficient fire power.

I get their logic.. But those are the same guys who speak so highly of their AR15s chambered in .223... Why is knock down power so important in your handgun? Yet you choose what is more suitable for a varmint in your battle rifle..

For me its the other way around. I prefer an AK as my battle rifle, and a 9mm with hi capacity as a sidearm...

Anyone care to weigh in? I know you do...
I agree, literally, with what you say.

Pistol rounds are underpowered, that's just the way it is. Might as well carry a bunch of it.

When I'm shooting I want reliability, ease of use, power: enter the AK. For when you want to kill every baddy in the room.

CmdrSlander
February 3, 2013, 02:11 AM
I too favor the 9, but I can see a justification for swearing by the 45 but using a 223 in a rifle and that is the fact that if you are down to your sidearm or using the weapon in personal defense you want immediate stopping power and every shot counts, whereas with a rifle you can be more deliberate with regard to shot placement, be further away, choose your targets and carry more rounds on your person and in the magazine.

BP44
February 3, 2013, 02:13 AM
Mehhhh, if I had unlimited funds I would shoot 10mm in a pistol and 50beo in my AR's. But I'm a poor brokeish fella and I shoot 9mm and 223 simply because I can shoot a lot more with these calibers.

What is the difference in ME between .223 and 7.62ruski

xxjumbojimboxx
February 3, 2013, 02:22 AM
Im not sure when were talking about battle rifles that we can take our time in a defense situation. Most battle rifles like aks and ars are very well suited for the 100 yrd and less distances. In this range i certainly wouldnt take time to aim deliberatly at someone who might be shooting at me. I can hit a target the size of a paper plate with my ak in under 2 seconds at 100 yards starting from the hip on a good day.. now im not saying dead center on that plate, but itll be a hit.

JonnyGringo
February 3, 2013, 08:32 AM
I also prefer the 9mm for it's lighter recoil, higher capacity, smaller frame, and cheaper ammo. It really boils down to preference since in this day and age there are plenty of bullets to choose from that put the 9mm on close footing with the .45 when it comes to bullet penetration and expansion. Personally, I spend more time training on proper shot placement so I don't have to put myself in the awkward position of depending solely on "knockdown" power to do the job for me.

If you enjoyed reading about "An observation." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!