Pmags

PDA

vc1911
February 3, 2013, 03:07 AM
Anyone know who has Pmags in stock and still affordable?

If you enjoyed reading about "Pmags" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
longdayjake
February 3, 2013, 11:18 AM
You are about a month and a half late to this game my friend. Just wait it out.

Wicked1911
February 3, 2013, 11:26 AM
Hey who are you rooting for today? The Patriots or the Giants?

LoL

TIMC
February 3, 2013, 12:47 PM
None affordable, plenty of rediculously priced ones available.

GCMkc
February 3, 2013, 12:54 PM
Botach Tactical just had 3-pack of GEN 3 PMAGS for $45 shipped/no sales tax. Sign up for their mailing list.

dubya450
February 3, 2013, 12:58 PM
Ive ordered a few things from Botach the past month that they said they had in stock only to get emails two weeks later saying they were backordered.

Akita1
February 3, 2013, 01:04 PM
No Pmag is worth $40-60. There's a gun shop in Orlando, FL (East Orange Shooting Sports) that still inly charges $20 for them when they come in, but you have to be physically present on a Tue or Fri morning to get.

gspn
February 3, 2013, 01:12 PM
Yep...you are a month and a million mags late.

Get on a backorder list and be prepared to wait months to get them.

Also consider this...before PMags came along we used metal magazines...yes...aluminum mags were the standard for decades. The really crazy thing is...they still work!

There are other options out there besides PMags.

OilyPablo
February 3, 2013, 01:15 PM
Shop other brands!!

Troy Battle mags. Is there something wrong with these? I think they work fine. And my LGS had a wall of them.

berettaprofessor
February 3, 2013, 01:29 PM
Pmags....in stock....hahahahahahahahahahah

WYcoyote
February 3, 2013, 02:00 PM
My LGS has them for $35

CharlieDeltaJuliet
February 3, 2013, 02:00 PM
RRAGES.com has Pmags for $25 a piece... I got an email saying they were in stock the other day..

Aiko492
February 3, 2013, 03:17 PM
Couple vendors had them for $18-25 @ the local gun show this weekend, and several had them for much more, but many to be had.

Akita1
February 3, 2013, 10:54 PM
+1 CharlieDelta - RRAGES still has for $25

vc1911
February 4, 2013, 12:16 AM
Thanks all, I just found this out after not being able to find any 223 or pmags in south florida!

I haven't had one ftf or double since switching to pmag. I haven't tried the Troys, will def give them a shot.

goon
February 4, 2013, 01:50 AM
You could also shop around used for better brand AR-15 aluminum or GI spec mags. Those made by D&H and Labelle are said to be among the best. I have also not heard anything bad about those made by Brownells.

Ragnar Danneskjold
February 4, 2013, 04:02 AM
What exactly are PMAGs worth? No, not what was the last price you though was reasonable. What are they worth? No, not what was the production cost of materials and labor. What are they worth? What is the intrinsic value of a PMAG. What is the specific price that we can definitively say "This is correct". Where if they drop below it the price is too low and if they go above it the price is too high. What is that exact price?

coloradokevin
February 4, 2013, 04:19 AM
What exactly are PMAGs worth? No, not what was the last price you though was reasonable. What are they worth? No, not what was the production cost of materials and labor. What are they worth? What is the intrinsic value of a PMAG. What is the specific price that we can definitively say "This is correct". Where if they drop below it the price is too low and if they go above it the price is too high. What is that exact price?

Your milage may vary, but to me the price point is around $12-15/mag, depending on specific type. How'd I get that price? Well, that's the price they've been selling at for many years, right up until this short-term supply shortage. The reputable companies were still selling them for that price until they stopped taking backorders.

Unless there's a ban (a market changer), the "correct" pricing structure stays the same for me.

Ragnar Danneskjold
February 4, 2013, 04:26 AM
Ok. So how did $12-15 become the price they'd been selling at for many years?

Girodin
February 4, 2013, 04:38 AM
No Pmag is worth $40-60.

Apparently the are because they have been selling like crazy at those prices for a month now. Things are worth what someone is willing to pay for them. The fact is the value of Pmags, or at least ones you can buy right now, skyrocketed. I'd imagine it will come back down absent any legislation but it will be a while still. You best bet is to find a person selling at lower prices and get on a wait list.

Ragnar Danneskjold
February 4, 2013, 05:08 AM
How much is a used Single Action Army pistol worth?

How much is General Patton's engraved Single Action Army worth?

If you answered those two questions with different numbers, ask yourself why that is.

goon
February 4, 2013, 05:18 AM
Best advice I can give is to try to get a few on backorder somewhere and just ride it out.

Hapworth
February 4, 2013, 09:16 AM
Caveat emptor; in AR-15 land, they use the term "getting Botached" for a reason.

Back on topic: OP, your best bet is to wait it all out; a "high cap" ban is highly unlikely, though not impossible. Your next best bet is to look for "where to get it" threads at various sites; members post items briefly available and you have to move fast but you can get several near impossible to locate items this way. Next up is to wait for some of the big retailers like Midway to start accepting backorders, and get on the list.

Lastly, if it means enough to you, cough up for the prices being charged by the few people and places that have them; lots of individual sellers at Gunbroker and on the "for sale" sections of forums...

goon
February 4, 2013, 10:35 AM
You could get in backorder with Ruger. They supply PMAGs wih the SSR-556 and allow you to put up to five on backorder at about $14 each. Also, get on the email list at AIM surplus. They had some last week but sold out very quickly.

rjrivero
February 4, 2013, 11:22 AM
Backorder from DSGarms. They seem to get them on a regular basis and are working through their back order list rather quickly. www.dsgarms.com

Girodin
February 4, 2013, 11:48 AM
Back on topic: OP, your best bet is to wait it all out; a "high cap" ban is highly unlikely, though not impossible.

A federal one at least. The analysis may be different at the state level.

GlockFan
February 4, 2013, 11:54 AM
They are currently being restocked. Last night I got am email from AIM that they were in stock. I got on and placed an order for 5. They were sold out soon after. This morning I got an email from Brownell's that the order I placed in December shipped.

CoRoMo
February 4, 2013, 12:00 PM
Pmags ARE worth many times more today than they were two months ago.

If you still believe that a Pmag is only worth $10-$15 and no more, put one up for auction on GunBroker and see what your customers say it is worth. They will prove you wrong.

What you are actually saying is that they are only worth $10-$15 to you and that you would never pay today's price for one. This means that you are not a customer today and you are not in the realm that is determining the worth of a Pmag. You are a supplied individual, not a customer looking to acquire the item in high demand.

I'm also a well supplied individual and not a customer. I do not need any Pmags today because I have plenty and I got all of them at the pre-panic prices. Each and every one of my Pmags is worth about $35-$70 apiece... today. I would not pay that for one of them because I don't have an urgent desire to acquire any. But they are still worth $35-$70 to me... today. If I lost my job or some other calamity hit my life and I had to liquidate my property in order to keep my household afloat, I would not sell my Pmags at the price that I bought them for. No, they are worth $35-$70 to me today and that's what I'd ask for them. I would do my household a disservice to sell them for $10-$15 today in an effort to provide for their well being. Becaues Pmags ARE worth many times more today than they were two months ago.

TIMC
February 4, 2013, 02:22 PM
Got a 10 pack of 308 Pmags shipped today from Brownells, cost me $17.00 a piece delivered. Wait time was 7 weeks.

wally
February 4, 2013, 02:47 PM
Troy Battle mags. Is there something wrong with these? I think they work fine. And my LGS had a wall of them.

I've got a few of these, so far they are as good as PMags in that neither have failed in any gun that takes them, Maybe a bit better in that they fit into my FS200 whereas my Pmags don't.

Got a 10 pack of 308 Pmags shipped today from Brownells, cost me $17.00 a piece delivered. Wait time was 7 weeks.

Brownell's & Midway backorders are fine if they are accepting them and you are patient. Took a long time to get my FNP45 mags, but Midway honored their price when they accepted the back order, and didn't charge my credit card until they shipped.

Coop45
February 4, 2013, 03:00 PM
So, if I offered PMags for $100 per, there might not me someone to buy them? LOL!!

Strange Bob
February 4, 2013, 04:41 PM
Pmags are available under $15 still. I have received 2 back ordered shipments in the last 2 weeks from 2 different suppliers. Both orders were placed about 3 weeks earlier. Find a supplier taking back orders and put your back order in and be patient.

As for what the Magpul Pmags are worth, IMHO I think they are the best 30 round magazine out there. I have other metal mags which perform well (Bravo Company, C-Products, and D&H) but I'll have an occasional hiccup from them. I can't ever remember a problem with the Pmags.

tazbigdog
February 4, 2013, 06:27 PM
Just paid $12.95 from my LGS this past Friday. Of course, I picked up my new AR too!

WYcoyote
February 4, 2013, 09:33 PM
I sold one dark earth colored PMag with window on GB for $76 plus $6 shipping about 2 weeks ago.

goon
February 4, 2013, 11:20 PM
No offense to you, but anyone who would pay that much when some patience and persistence would turn a few up at $15 to $25 is a moron who deserves to overpay.

WYcoyote
February 5, 2013, 12:27 AM
No offense taken, but just gave it as an example of the panic that peaked that week as our "leader" gave his speech about all the EOs he was going to enact. Riight or wrong, I can't say. A 'no reserve' auction, capitalism in its most primitive form. I was just glad to have a few extras kicking around, as I remember the last election all too well.

breakingcontact
February 5, 2013, 12:54 AM
20 round USGI mag is underrated.

Mark13
February 5, 2013, 07:22 PM
I was in a local Jax Fl gun store yesterday and they had a big box of 30 round pmags for $40 each, limit two per customer. Didn't seem like they had any customers.

They also had dozens of S&W M&P 15's stacked in boxes for $1100 each.

I wasn't familiar with polymer magazines, but I'd like to try them when prices are sane. I'm looking at magpul, lancer, and troy. They seem to have good reviews in general.

mdauben
February 6, 2013, 11:52 AM
I was in a local Jax Fl gun store yesterday and they had a big box of 30 round pmags for $40 each, limit two per customer. Didn't seem like they had any customers.
Yeah, that exceeds my personal panic value. I've got a half-dozen PMAGs I bought just after I got my M&P 15 last year so I don't feet too pinched. If I saw some for as much as $25 dollars I might pick up one or two more, but $40? No way.

They also had dozens of S&W M&P 15's stacked in boxes for $1100 each.
Depending on the particular model M&P 15, that might not bee bad. If its a "Sport" (which was going for $600 previously) they could keep it. S&W did have some models that were selling for $900-1000 or more, in which case the $1100 is less unreasonable.

MikeOBWan
February 6, 2013, 01:01 PM
I just got shipping notification on a 10 Pack of pmags i ordered from Brownells back before Christmas.. They'll be here monday.. YAY.. So just get on the list.. They will come eventually. It seems right now that products are starting to ship, and crazy prices are starting to soften a little.

MErl
February 6, 2013, 01:09 PM
20 round USGI mag is underrated.

it is what I use most often at the range. Was actually thinking about some 20 round pmags before this fiasco.

Hapworth
February 6, 2013, 01:29 PM
I just got shipping notification on a 10 Pack of pmags i ordered from Brownells back before Christmas.. They'll be here monday.. YAY.. So just get on the list.. They will come eventually.No list to get on -- Brownells isn't taking backorders.

CZguy
February 6, 2013, 03:33 PM
No list to get on -- Brownells isn't taking backorders.

Patience, truly is a virtue. This panic will sort itself out soon enough.

This really is a short term speed bump in the market.

Now is the time to sell, not buy. ;)

Hapworth
February 6, 2013, 05:32 PM
Patience, truly is a virtue. This panic will sort itself out soon enough.

This really is a short term speed bump in the market.

Now is the time to sell, not buy. ;)
Completely agreed.

R. Walter
February 6, 2013, 07:28 PM
You got to be an economics major anymore to follow these gun threads

slamfirev10
February 6, 2013, 07:30 PM
just remember

eco 101:

buy low, sell high

Warp
February 6, 2013, 08:38 PM
Extremely high quality AR magazines (Lancer L5AWM) at Spikes for $22

http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/magazine-lancer-30rd-556-smoke-p-1027.html

A representative M4C thread about them

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=118793&highlight=lancer+mags

NHMTG 20 and 30 round mags in stock, quick shipping, $20

http://www.buffertech.com/Search.aspx?m=1

Warp
February 6, 2013, 08:39 PM
it is what I use most often at the range. Was actually thinking about some 20 round pmags before this fiasco.

Don't bother. If you want 20 round mags, go with the NHMTG (linked above), although if you wait on the market they might return to their old price of $12.

The Gen2 20 round PMAGs are known for unreliable feeding. The new Gen3 20 round PMAGs should be better, but I'd wait until that is proven and stick to NHMTG for your 20 round mag needs at this point.

colorado_handgunner
February 6, 2013, 11:12 PM
For those in Columbia, SC, Farrow Road location of Palmetto State Armory had about 40 when I left at 6:30. They closed at 7:00 so may still have some tomorrow morning.

Price was $20 though. I still bought the limit at 10.

goon
February 7, 2013, 05:37 AM
Seems like things are kind of stable right now. If you look and pay attention, and can live with the aluminum mags that worked fine for decades or with PMags, whatever is available, then you could probably have a half dozen magazines for a little over $100. Not as good as prices used to be, but maybe we needed this scare to show us how good we had it.

Widener's is showing these D&H 20 round magazines in stock.
http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=100000335&dir=625|1056|1057

VaGunNut
February 7, 2013, 07:25 AM
Simple economics: Goods are worth what individuals are willing to pay. The law of supply and demand.

CoRoMo
February 7, 2013, 05:44 PM
I am sorely tempted to stop by the arbitrary gun shops along my ways and as I open the door, jog up to the counter with an urgent, innocent starry eyed look on my face and say... "I'd like to buy some pee-mags please!", saying it as though I'm not particularly sure what it is I'm asking for.

Then watch and listen to the employee there as they begin to answer, only to cut them off and say, "Just kidding dude!". :neener:

mljdeckard
February 7, 2013, 05:50 PM
Get on the list now. It won't get shorter.

Captains1911
February 7, 2013, 06:05 PM

Warp
February 7, 2013, 06:06 PM
Or you could just get this affordable, in stock, proven magazines.

Extremely high quality AR magazines (Lancer L5AWM) at Spikes for $22

http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/magazine-lancer-30rd-556-smoke-p-1027.html

A representative M4C thread about them

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=118793&highlight=lancer+mags

NHMTG 20 and 30 round mags in stock, quick shipping, $20

http://www.buffertech.com/Search.aspx?m=1

Captains1911
February 7, 2013, 06:07 PM
Don't bother. If you want 20 round mags, go with the NHMTG (linked above), although if you wait on the market they might return to their old price of $12.

The Gen2 20 round PMAGs are known for unreliable feeding. The new Gen3 20 round PMAGs should be better, but I'd wait until that is proven and stick to NHMTG for your 20 round mag needs at this point.
First time I've ever heard of reliability issues with 20rd pmags. Mine all seem to work fine.

Warp
February 7, 2013, 06:23 PM
First time I've ever heard of reliability issues with 20rd pmags. Mine all seem to work fine.

It's fairly well known.

The single most common malfunction is a failure to feed on the second to last round out of the magazine.

Personally I had one 20 round Gen2 PMAG, purchased before I starting reading about this issue. What do you know, the only malfunction of any kind I've yet had wtih my AR (out of 1,970 rounds) was a failure to feed, out of that mag, 2nd to last round out of the mag. It fed about halfway and the brass got crushed by the bolt. I got rid of that mag and have 8 of the 20 round NHMTG mags for that need.

I think the easiest explanation is that a straight walled mag with an anti-tilt follower was a problem waiting to happen.

If you have used yours extensively and they work I suppose you may as well stick with them.

Edit: To be clear, it's not like PMAG 20 round mags are pieces of crap. A lot of them work. Quite a few have problems, to the point where I cannot recommend purchasing them. Both the failure to feed and a failure to lock the bolt back when empty. Here is a representative thread. The % of problematic mags is just too high, which is why Magpul changed the design of the 20 round mag for Gen3/

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=113781&highlight=%2220+round+pmag%22&page=2

But if going out and buying new 20 round mags...NHMTG/Colt all day long

9thchild
February 7, 2013, 06:26 PM
Went to the Fernandina PSA after court this morning. They must have just gotten a shipment. $20 a pop. I had to wait in line for a while but I ended up with four. That gives me 8 mags (4 steel from a different source) and a PSA stripped lower and I've spent under $300 total in panic land.

I really went in hoping for .22LR...no such luck.

colorado_handgunner
February 8, 2013, 12:30 AM
Went to the Fernandina PSA after court this morning. They must have just gotten a shipment. $20 a pop. I had to wait in line for a while but I ended up with four. That gives me 8 mags (4 steel from a different source) and a PSA stripped lower and I've spent under $300 total in panic land.

I really went in hoping for .22LR...no such luck.

Trust the Farrow Road store. Not usually as busy so the ammo and accessories selection is better.

breakingcontact
February 8, 2013, 01:19 AM
Perhaps USGI aluminum 20 round mags > 20 round PMag?

Warp
February 8, 2013, 01:26 AM
Perhaps USGI aluminum 20 round mags > 20 round PMag?

I agree with this 100%

Especially the NHMTG/Colt mags manufactured in Hartford.

Magpul can hopefully, for their sake, make up that ground with the Gen3 20 round mags. They look like they are simply cut down 30 round mags, essentially, and Magpul reps have indicated that they will be up to snuff this time.

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/primary/872/872027.jpg

9thchild
February 8, 2013, 12:59 PM
Trust the Farrow Road store. Not usually as busy so the ammo and accessories selection is better.
I will have to check it out eventually but usually just go to Fernandina because I am already in the area.

CoRoMo
February 8, 2013, 02:08 PM
Hmmm. News to me. I've never had a single solitary malfunction from any of my 20rd Pmags ever, and I have dozens.

HOOfan_1
February 8, 2013, 02:30 PM
Hmmm. News to me. I've never had a single solitary malfunction from any of my 20rd Pmags ever, and I have dozens.

I've got 2 with over 400 rounds through each...work just as well as my 30 rounders

Waywatcher
February 8, 2013, 06:01 PM
I have had failures to feed with 20 round Pmags. I got rid of mine.

Never a single problem with 30 rounders, either Pmag or NHMTG w/Magpul follower.

If you enjoyed reading about "Pmags" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!