Non-SBR with pinned handguard?

PDA

IslandTimes
February 3, 2013, 11:27 AM
Heard a rumor a while back that the ATF sent a letter to some company saying that if an AR handguard is made non removable, that the handguard would count towards barrel length. My thoughts on this are I could pin and weld an extra long free float handguard to a 9mm AR with a 7" barrel and not have an SBR.

Went ahead and sent a letter to the ATF asking for clarification, but has anyone else heard of this?

If you enjoyed reading about "Non-SBR with pinned handguard?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rjrivero
February 3, 2013, 11:38 AM
No. But a permanently attached muzzle device counts toward the length of a barrel. I presume it would be the same thing.

This is a 16.25" upper with the suppressor under the "permanently attached muzzle device" the overall length of the "barrel" becomes 17". So this is NOT an SBR.

http://www.revolverforums.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=46&pictureid=286

AlexanderA
February 3, 2013, 12:16 PM
My opinion --A free-float handguard is not attached to the barrel, and so (unlike a permanently-attached muzzle device) is not added to the barrel length to meet the legal definition of a 16"+ barrel. But what would be the point of this anyway? You might as well get the benefit of the longer barrel.

IslandTimes
February 3, 2013, 12:56 PM
Rjrivero has it down, I was looking for a solution so I could attach a can without the gun being too long. And I'm really liking that setup, where/how did you get that done?

MasterSergeantA
February 3, 2013, 02:34 PM
rj is an artist.

Tactical Solutions did something similar for the 10/22 with an extended piece on the barrel that encloses most of the suppressor length when it is mounted. With the suppressor off the barrel, the length is still retained. So a 10" barrel under the 6" 'shroud' is still 16", with or without the can. If the can is 6" long, it doesn't make the barrel longer when mounted.

AlexanderA
February 3, 2013, 08:25 PM
Yes, but these extensions are pinned to the barrel while the OP's free-float handguard would presumably be pinned to the receiver.

rjrivero
February 3, 2013, 08:40 PM
I work part time at Adco Firearms. This is one of my projects. I don't know if there is enough demand to put this in the Shop Services Standard catalog, but it's a lot of fun to play with!

If you enjoyed reading about "Non-SBR with pinned handguard?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!