Maine and CZ.

PDA

Dryft
February 3, 2013, 11:37 AM
Hey y'all,

Is it humanly possible for one to find a CZ in Maine?! I have been hitting stores like it was my job and haven't even found a used one.

At this point I'm going to put an ad in the paper: "Will provide ammunition for letting me try your CZ."

Any suggestions? I want one - or a clone - but simply can't purchase one online without holding it first. (I've tried that - it didn't work out.)

Thanks for whatever suggestions you folks can provide!!

If you enjoyed reading about "Maine and CZ." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
WC145
February 3, 2013, 12:16 PM
Check with Dietrich Gunsmithy in Otis, they're a CZ dealer, great folks to deal with, too.
www.dietrichgunsmithy.com

oldrevolverguy
February 3, 2013, 02:32 PM
They have it all.

Dryft
February 3, 2013, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the replies folks - I appreciate it.

WC145 - I'd never heard of them, thank you. It's quite a drive, but I'll give them a call and see what they have in stock first.

ORG - I was in KTP two weeks ago and, even accounting for current conditions, they had very little stock. When I asked about CZ's, the guy behind the counter said they hardly ever get them in anyway.

WC145
February 3, 2013, 04:03 PM
They're about 60 miles from me but worth the drive. Their gunsmith is very talented and has done quite a bit of custom work for me, in fact, they've working on a S&W revolver and a Colt 1991A1 .38 Super for me now. They also do NFA and class 3 stuff. Which CZ are you looking for?

Pilot
February 3, 2013, 04:41 PM
If you have a local FFL that will do the transfer for you, just order one from anyone that will ship. That is how I bought two of my three CZ's.

viking499
February 3, 2013, 06:14 PM
What particular model(s) are you looking for or want information on?

Johnny Lightning
February 3, 2013, 06:55 PM
I always see a good variety of CZ pistols at gun shows. My local dealers never seem to have them on hand.

hAkron
February 3, 2013, 10:04 PM
Order one.
http://www.damascusgunshop.com/shop/

***Edit***
I just noticed they are out of everything...when they have stuff in stock, these guys usually have the best deal going.

Dryft
February 4, 2013, 12:32 AM
Hey folks,

Thanks, as always for the advice. For those that asked, I'm looking to handle a few of the models, though the full size 85 Combat and 75 Compact (PCR possible) would be nice overall. I know they're hard to find, but a 75 SP-01 Phantom and 75 SA would be nice too!

For those of you that suggested ordering one, yes, that is an option, but I do not want to order a gun without at least feeling it in my hand first.

As always, any further suggestions would be most welcome!!!

Pilot
February 4, 2013, 07:43 AM
I bought most of my CZ sight unseen without every handling them before. Trust me, take a chance. If you don't like it you can sell it for at least what you paid or darn close to it.

viking499
February 4, 2013, 11:09 AM
That a wide selection there. Are you thinking full size gun or smaller? Metal or poly frame? Any preferences?

FIVETWOSEVEN
February 4, 2013, 11:27 AM
I've seen a few at KTP. I don't know how many there are in Maine but there is at least one when I regularily cross the border. I carry a CZ75B.

targetshooter22
February 4, 2013, 11:29 AM
Haven't heard from many unhappy CZ owners, but I understand your need to hold it before you buy it. I bought mine sight unseen, and didn't regret it, but each person is different. If it helps, the Browning High Power 9 has a reasonably similar feel in terms of grip frame and sight picture. A Beretta 92 has the same grip angle, but I think the grip is larger, and the sight picture seems different to me.

Dryft
February 4, 2013, 11:38 AM
Okay, so here's the deal:

I really like what I read about CZs, but am not a fan of blind purchases having never held one. Could I sell it if I don't like it? Of course, but I'd rather not.

Everything I've ever read or heard about the CZs, in particular the flagship 75B, had been that it is, in essence, an upgraded and refined Hi Power. (Please correct me if I'm wrong!) The Hi Power has always been one of my favourite guns I've ever held, and if the feeling is even close I'd be sold instantly.

If I had to just buy one online, it'd probably be the 85 Combat, for it's ambidextrous controls, adjustable sights, and lack of a firing pin block. If not that one, then the 75 SA. If the Compact were to fit my hands however, I wouldn't mind a slightly smaller profile!

I have held the P-07 Duty, and liked the size, but did not like how sharp all the checkering was and don't particularly care for polymer that much.

This gun would be an all-around firearm - house, range, some carry, and I really like it's potential for USPSA/IDPA competition.

What am I missing, and what do you folks think? Thanks again!

bannockburn
February 4, 2013, 12:01 PM
Dryft

Have you had a chance to handle a Browning Hi-Power? Very similar feel and grip contours as a CZ-75. The only difference (at least to me as I have small hands and somewhat short fingers), is that there's a slightly longer reach to the trigger due to the DA design. I do have a P-01 that fits my hand like a glove and the trigger is well within reach without any need to adjust my grip.

Pilot
February 4, 2013, 06:34 PM
The all steel or alloy framed CZ do not have the sharp edges or rough checkering that the P-07 has. Buy the 75B, 75SA, P-01, PCR, Compact, SP-01, etc sight unseen with confidence.

Thompsoncustom
February 4, 2013, 07:26 PM
What am I missing, and what do you folks think? Thanks again!

The only thing I can think of is the comp guns Like the CZ 75 Shadow and the SP01 shadow but those are closer to 1k and more for comp than anything else. U will be pleased with any CZ but it is always nice to touch it first. Good luck

tacxted
February 4, 2013, 08:01 PM
I held a CZ in Maine mailitary supply the other day. I dont recall which model, um, maybe a sp-01

Robbins290
February 5, 2013, 03:39 PM
Cabelas has a whole array of cz's. they seem to keep a lot in stock. Been thinking of picking up a 75 in 9mm.

Dryft
February 5, 2013, 05:14 PM
Robbins - When did you see these CZs?! I was there on Saturday and they didn't have a one, nor did they know when they'd be getting them in.

Two gun shows this weekend - hoping against hope to find something.

chris in va
February 6, 2013, 03:24 AM
Look...I've had a CZ of some sort for the past ten years.

If you want a 'do-all' CZ, including carry, get the P01. It has a forged aluminum frame, updated controls, and is easy to shoot as my 75bd was.

Sergei Mosin
February 6, 2013, 03:37 AM
Okay, so here's the deal:
Everything I've ever read or heard about the CZs, in particular the flagship 75B, had been that it is, in essence, an upgraded and refined Hi Power. (Please correct me if I'm wrong!) The Hi Power has always been one of my favourite guns I've ever held, and if the feeling is even close I'd be sold instantly

I'll let the late Stephen Camp correct you: http://hipowers-handguns.blogspot.com/2008/06/browning-hi-power-cz-75-are-they.html

Robbins290
February 6, 2013, 05:06 AM
It was a couple weeks ago, I didn't check the gun counter for pistols.

meanmrmustard
February 6, 2013, 06:30 AM
I bought most of my CZ sight unseen without every handling them before. Trust me, take a chance. If you don't like it you can sell it for at least what you paid or darn close to it.
This. But, I doubt you'll kick a new CZ out of the house. They're quite possibly the most comfy gun to sit in the hand.

meanmrmustard
February 6, 2013, 06:32 AM
I'll let the late Stephen Camp correct you: http://hipowers-handguns.blogspot.com/2008/06/browning-hi-power-cz-75-are-they.html
Meh, close enough. The CZ also takes a big cue from the Sig P210, so I guess it's a hybrid theory of several successful designs. Works for me.

Pilot
February 6, 2013, 08:14 AM
The CZ also takes a big cue from the Sig P210, so I guess it's a hybrid theory of several successful designs. Works for me.

I think the CZ-75 can be seen as an "evolution" of the Browning locked breech design with the addtion of DA capability. As Mr. Camp said, many others use this also, Sig, Glock, S&W, etc. I think the fact the CZ-75 somewhat resembles the Browning Hi Power cosmetically is why people think there is more of a direct lineage.

If you want a 'do-all' CZ, including carry, get the P01. It has a forged aluminum frame, updated controls, and is easy to shoot as my 75bd was.

Very true. If you want a great gun for home defense, range accuracy, and concealed carry the P-01 is hard to beat as is its brother the 75D PCR. The PCR does not have a light rail but is very similar in size, weight, design, and performance.

PCR

http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae69/Black04V/P1000395.jpg

P-01

http://i932.photobucket.com/albums/ad167/funkandgoodness/CZ%20P-01/P-01Left.jpg

Dryft
February 6, 2013, 01:00 PM
Hey y'all!

Thanks for all the great advice - I really do appreciate it. The more research I do, the more it sounds like the P-01 may really be the one to look for - it gets the updated tech and design, which is always good, and seems to be the basis for CZ's new lineup.

Question: Is the magazine release reversible on these? It seems like a yes and no question depending on the model. The 85 Combat specifically states a reversible mag catch, but it's not specifically mentioned on most. For those that own the P-01, is this catch changeable?

Thanks again! Keep those opinions coming.

strange246
February 6, 2013, 08:14 PM
My wife has a CZ75B and I have an all steel Witness in 9mm, and I can honestly say neither gun will EVER leave our ownership, my wife has small hands and handles either easily, I have large hands and handle either easily...Quite possibly the perfect pistol, and thats from a 1911 guy...

meanmrmustard
February 6, 2013, 08:55 PM
Hey y'all!

Thanks for all the great advice - I really do appreciate it. The more research I do, the more it sounds like the P-01 may really be the one to look for - it gets the updated tech and design, which is always good, and seems to be the basis for CZ's new lineup.

Question: Is the magazine release reversible on these? It seems like a yes and no question depending on the model. The 85 Combat specifically states a reversible mag catch, but it's not specifically mentioned on most. For those that own the P-01, is this catch changeable?

Thanks again! Keep those opinions coming.
By looking at Pilots photos, I'm going to say yes, they are. Notice the left side of the gun, where the mag release would be for a right handed gun...it's not there.

Dryft
February 6, 2013, 10:25 PM
I hate to tell you this, Mustard, but they're definitely on the left side.

It's pretty obvious on the PCR, and the checkering on the button can be seen on the P-01.

I'll leave it to Pilot for the final verdict, but that's where my money is.

larryh1108
February 6, 2013, 10:44 PM
I have the PCR and the .40S&W version of it. It will never leave my collection. Here's both sides to see if the mag catch swaps (by looking). I'm not sure.

http://i342.photobucket.com/albums/o435/larryh1108/CZ%20USA/CZ75PCRleft-1.jpg

http://i342.photobucket.com/albums/o435/larryh1108/CZ%20USA/CZ75PCRright-1.jpg

If you're ever in the Hartford, CT area you're welcome to come shoot them. Any business to do down here?

Pilot
February 7, 2013, 07:43 AM
larry wrote:

I have the PCR and the .40S&W version of it.

Is there ar .40 version of the PCR? I didn't know that. What is the model called? I know the .40 version of the P-01 is the P-06, but didn't realize there was a .40 version of the PCR released.

Regarding the mag releases. I believe they are reversible, but I've never done it. I am right handed, so all my mag releases operate from the left side on the pistol.

The PCR, and P-01 are tough to beat for "do it all" 9MM's.

larryh1108
February 7, 2013, 07:50 AM
The short lived CZ 40P is a .40S&W version of the PCR. It has the same alloy frame and is a decocker. From what I understand, it has a modified P-01 upper. I don't know why they produced a limited amount. I've read it was made with leftover parts from the failed CZ/Colt adventure and when the parts ran out, they stopped making them. It is an excellent pistol and is a joy to shoot. 1000

http://i342.photobucket.com/albums/o435/larryh1108/CZ%20USA/40P-2.jpg

http://i342.photobucket.com/albums/o435/larryh1108/CZ%20USA/CZ40P-Lleft1.jpg

http://i342.photobucket.com/albums/o435/larryh1108/CZ%20USA/CZx2left.jpg

Pilot
February 7, 2013, 08:07 AM
Thanks Larry. I knew about the CZ/Colt 40P gun, but did not realize they used the same frame as the PCR. Still I would not call it a .40 caliber PCR as the upper/slide is quite different, but I get your drift.

From what I remember the 40P was a HECK of a deal way back when, but I just never bothered with the .40 S&W round so passed on them even at the great prices. The Colt branded one seems to be somewhat of a collector's itme these days.

meanmrmustard
February 7, 2013, 05:43 PM
I hate to tell you this, Mustard, but they're definitely on the left side.

It's pretty obvious on the PCR, and the checkering on the button can be seen on the P-01.

I'll leave it to Pilot for the final verdict, but that's where my money is.
Maybe. I was thinking that's where the release came out the opposite side. But, after enhancing, I may see serrations that are tell take of a left sided button.

Atbat82
February 7, 2013, 05:46 PM
Order one.
http://www.damascusgunshop.com/shop/

***Edit***
I just noticed they are out of everything...when they have stuff in stock, these guys usually have the best deal going.

Damn, that's like $75 less than I paid for my SP-01...

Sent from my iPhone

larryh1108
February 7, 2013, 06:14 PM
but I just never bothered with the .40 S&W round

To tell you the truth, I gave up on the .40S&W round until I shot the CZ 40P. My experience was with Glocks and 1911s in the .40S&W caliber and I did not like how it felt compared to my .45ACP rounds. In my mind, I didn't gain anything over the 9mm due to the fact that it was harder to control, for me. As much as I tried, I could never group the .40S&W worth a darn in the Glock or the 1911 platform so I swore off the round.

Years later I bought the PCR in 9mm. From the first shot, it was more accurate, in my hands, than any other 9 I shot including my BHP. I was hooked. I loved the weight, balance and size and the recoil was minimal. The accuracy was uncanny. I felt it had to do with the slide inside the frame and low bore axis. In my hands, it worked for me.

When I came across the CZ 40P I didn't think about it since it was a 40S&W but my curiosity got to me. If the 9 was a dream to shoot, how would the .40S&W be? Well, the first mag was all in the 10 ring and I had to have it. The recoil is like a 9mm and it feels more like a .45ACP than a .40S&W with the 180gr ammo. I was sold and have been very happy with it ever since. I don't like the clunky base of the mag and wish they had a flush fitting 8 round one instead of the 10 round but that's my only complaint. It has become my favorite range gun and I feel it's due to the low bore axis and slide inside the frame concept like mentioned above. That's also why Sigs shoot so well, IMO.

Centurian22
February 7, 2013, 06:41 PM
Tacxted beat me to it but Maine Millitary Supply had at least one if not a couple different CZ's just a week or two ago. I think the one I held was a 75b but it could have been the P01. I was very pleased with almost everything on the gun except for the slide. It is so short vertically that it was difficult at best and painful at worst to get a grip on it under 'normal' conditions, the thought of trying to run a tap, rack, assess drill with it made me cringe. I hope you're able to find one to put hands on because I completely agree I couldn't imagine trying to buy a gun I've never handled. The smallest details can really sway your preference for or against a gun. I learned that several times over the other day. Good luck.

If you enjoyed reading about "Maine and CZ." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!