Are Wal-Mart guns lower quality?

PDA

monotonous_iterancy
February 3, 2013, 12:04 PM
I saw someone mention a S&W 15-22. I've seen one at Wal-Mart, and it got me thinking. I've read before that guns sold at Wal-Mart use lower quality materials in order to keep up with Wal-Mart's business model of keeping prices lower than everyone else. I read that gun manufacturers sometimes make special models just for sale there, using cosmetically inferior materials.

Is this true?

If you enjoyed reading about "Are Wal-Mart guns lower quality?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Analogkid
February 3, 2013, 12:07 PM
No......

mjsdwash
February 3, 2013, 12:10 PM
your gonna get a lot of replies saying no, but in my experience, all box stores get one model, and most gun stores get another. This does not translate to accuracy, safety, reliability, or durability however. It usually comes down to wood grain, limited caliber selection, checkering and things like that. Little details you may not want to pay more for. I dont know specificaly about walmart, but this is the case for big 5, and a few others. Walmart does seem to be the only place you can get a remington 700 with iron sights, but they cannot get it in the caliber i want:banghead: My Big 5 marlin cost about two hundred less that it would at a gun shop, but has no checkering as an example. Just my observation. hope this helps

WC145
February 3, 2013, 12:12 PM
No. In fact it's ridiculous to think that S&W, SIG, Savage, Remington, and all of the other brands they sell would manufacture a separate line of guns made from cheaper materials in this sue happy world. Plus, they stand behind those guns with the same warranties as those sold elsewhere, why put a lifetime warranty on something that isn't up to your normal standards?

berettaprofessor
February 3, 2013, 12:14 PM
No. And there should be a sticky with the links to oft-repeated questions like these.

rcmodel
February 3, 2013, 12:17 PM
No, they are not lower quality.
Do you think a firearms manufacture would jeprodize thier reputation just to please Walmart??

Yes, Walmart has on occasion had special runs of guns made exclusive to them.
But they were not inferior in any way.

For instance they had a very nicely done Ruger 10/22 with a 22" barrel & checkered stock exclusive to Walmart a few years ago.

Then there was a 10/22 stainless Mannlicher with a green laminated exclusive to Walmart 10-15 years ago.

rc

monotonous_iterancy
February 3, 2013, 12:23 PM
By cheaper materials, I mean things such as using cheaper types of woods on wooden stocks. Things like that. They don't affect performance, but it cuts down on the bottom line.

So this is not true?

W L Johnson
February 3, 2013, 12:34 PM
Overheard a local gun shop explain to someone why their ammo was so much higher (twice) than walmart for the exact same box is because their (the shop's) ammo is more accurate and walmart sells rejects and is known to blowup guns. :banghead:

TarDevil
February 3, 2013, 12:40 PM
Emphatically, NO. What economies are realized setting up a second line of production just for the big box stores? None.

alsaqr
February 3, 2013, 12:45 PM
These false rumors are being promulgated by LGS owners and folks who have never bought a gun from Wal-Mart.

SwampWolf
February 3, 2013, 01:01 PM
Gun makers have made cheaper versions of their firearms for many years to accomodate the market for buyers not willing to pay for their "standard" model and/or to compete with other companies that are selling less expensive guns. "Economizing" a firearm would include things like substituting birch stocks for walnut; blind magazines for magazines with floor-plates; less elaborate or no checkering on the stock; no sling swivel studs; etc. Things like accuracy, reliability, durability and safety are not compromised in these "stripped-down versions. Examples that come to mind are the "regular" Marlin Model 336 vs the Glenfield and the Remington Model 700 BDL vs the ADL.
Then their are different rifles altogether from the "standard" models that are made to sell cheaper; a couple of examples being the new Ruger "American" rifle vs the "Hawkeye" and other Model 77 iterations and the (discontinued) Remington Model 788 vs the various Model 700 iterations.
Finally, mostly in times past, companies would make firearms the same as their existing models but changed cosmetically for businesses like Sears, Montgomery Wards and Western Auto that were generally cheaper to make and sell and wore the buyer company's own brand (i.e., J.C. Higgins or Ted Williams in the case of Sears; Hawthorn in the case of Montgomery Wards and Revelation and Western Field in the case of Western Auto).
But, in the case of Wal Mart, as far as I know they sell firearms that are identical in every respect to the same firearm being sold elsewhere. So, to the op's question:"... I've read before that guns sold at Wal-Mart use lower quality materials in order to keep up with Wal-Mart's business model of keeping prices lower than everyone else...Is this true?", my answer would also be no.

CharlieDeltaJuliet
February 3, 2013, 01:04 PM
My LGS owner tried to pull this crap on a new customer. He was referring to the Colt 6920 sold at Wally World. He said something to the extent that he would much rather have any of the AR's on his wall than the Wal Mart rifle... He was selling DPMS, DoubleStar, Deltron, a few piece togethers and one PSA.

To say exactly what these other guys are saying, no.... Wal Mart sells the same rifles as other retailers..

BCCL
February 3, 2013, 01:07 PM
No, and I've bought more than a few guns at WM in my time, never found them to be in any way of less quality than guns bought anywhere else from the same manufacturer. The people that insist they are are full of bull.

Killian
February 3, 2013, 01:08 PM
No more so than the same models purchased at other stores. If you change your question to "Are guns made in modern times not as well made as guns from 30 years ago?" then I might have a different answer.

texasgun
February 3, 2013, 01:37 PM
This rumor is ridiculous and mostly kept alive by small dealers who hate Wal-Mart for offering the same stuff at lower prices....

Does Coke make a "cheaper" Coke for Wal-Mart?
Does Winchester make a "special" WWB for Wal-Mart and sell the good stuff to your dealer?
Does Ruger make cheap 10/22 and sell the good stuff to your dealer?

NO. They don't. Doing so and not labeling the different product visibly (like for e.g. Ruger 10/22 Walmart) would be highly dangerous and the companies would end in court and be sued for millions. Either ammo passes the safety inspections and go to stores or they don't. There is no "rejected" ammo which is not good enough for your local dealer but Wal-Mart buys it.

I don't think Wal-Mart is interested in selling defective/dangerous ammo or crappy name-brand guns to their customers.

BCCL
February 3, 2013, 02:49 PM
I see this same thing on online knife forums, the _____ brand knives you buy at Walmart are lesser quality, reject, seconds...etc than ones you buy elsewhere. Nobody can ever prove it.

The only difference I've ever seen, is that certain Buck knives, if you buy them at a major sporting goods store, you will get a leather sheath made in Mexico, but if you buy that same knife at Walmart, you get a Chinese made nylon sheath. But the knives are the same.

leadchucker
February 3, 2013, 03:00 PM
A particular item which appears to be identical to one sold in other stores will be sold at Walmart at a noticeably cheaper price than what is seen in the other stores. If you look closely, you will often find that the model number on a Walmart product is different from the model number of those sold elsewhere, although the items may appear identical. These products are predictably lower quality. I've seen this most often with small appliances and electronics, but there are lots of other products like that. Some types of merchandise are easier to make to lowered standards, and cheaper price, some other types are not. Some companies are willing to risk their reputations by producing a cheaper line of products specifically for Walmart.

Electric toasters? Definitely.
Ammo? Maybe.
Guns? Not likely.

PGT
February 3, 2013, 03:07 PM
The Sig 522 I saw at my local Wal-Mart was $499. I paid significantly less than that for mine....not sure about the "Wal-Mart is cheaper" line.

texasgun
February 3, 2013, 03:18 PM
@leadchucker...

I have yet to see any true indication on ammo that it's a special WalMart production. In nearly all cases the product numbers are identical. Just google the name/product number. There is no "special" WWB / Federal and whatnot for Wal-Mart. My local FFL prefers to sell generic ammo at a nice markup whereas WalMart is usually much cheaper.... that's cool.... not cool is to tell newbie customers that WalMart cammo from Winchester his crap whereas his Winchester stuff is magically something completely else despite being in the same packaging, same product number and same description....

oneounceload
February 3, 2013, 03:21 PM
Certain big box stores get a version made for them. Whetherthequalityisless or not remains to be seen. Walmart does not have models made specifically for them, as they are NOT primarily a sporting goods store, like Dicks or Sports Authority. Their good are the same as your local gun shop gets. In the south, they order from Ellet Brothers, a major wholesaler to many gun stores. No one is going to separate certain models, that would add more cost to guns already being sold for a few dollars above cost

OcelotZ3
February 3, 2013, 03:47 PM
If you look closely, you will often find that the model number on a Walmart product is different from the model number of those sold elsewhere, although the items may appear identical.

On a rock climbing forum, a person wanted to buy a new hammer drill from a reputable manufacturer, and noted that the "identical" model was much cheaper from Walmart.

He was warned that the Walmart version, which had a slightly different model number (W on the end), had plastic gears inside vs. metal gears that non-Walmart stores sold. How did he know? The person doing the warning bought the same model hammer drill, one from Walmart & one at the normally higher price from another store, and took them apart. Same model # except for the W.

So yes, sometimes manufacturers (even big-name ones) will switch to cheaper materials to hit the Walmart price point.

Onward Allusion
February 3, 2013, 04:41 PM
Good gawd, this silliness sound like my in-laws who will swear up and down on a stack of Bibles that the stuff they get from Macy's or Dillard's is higher in quality that the stuff from Walmart or Target - even though it's the same make/model of the coffee maker, toaster, blender, TV...etc...etc. Where do people get this from? Pure snobbery... But hey, if anyone wants to pay more for the same item at "higher end" store - God Bless 'em. Besides, if it's on the Interweb, it has to be true.

oneounceload
February 3, 2013, 04:54 PM
Does Walmart have certain items made for them at lower price points? Yes they do, in the area of jeans , white socks and similar things that they sell by the millions. They do not sell guns in that quantity. Have ordered from their "catalog"; it was the same wholesale catalog I used to get when I had my FFL. The guns are the same

jrdolall
February 3, 2013, 05:13 PM
As someone who has sold many $millions to Walmart over the years I can tell you that without a doubt manufacturers produce products to hit a certain price point for them, and many other retailers. So far as I know there will always be a slightly different product code associated and it is not the same exact product. Some retailers insist on having a different product than what Walmart sells so they can explain to their customers that it is not the same product. Is this true on guns? Probably there have been cases where a special model has been made for Walmart. I don't imagine it happens in ammo though. Plenty of manufacturers produce differetn models of items that are virtually identical. Ford Ranger and Mazda trucks come to mind.

wally
February 3, 2013, 05:17 PM
With Walmarts buying power, I suspect they can ask for cost savings options on a bulk order. I seem to recall a stainless Ruger 10/22 with a polymer "canoe paddle" stock that I think was specific to Walmart. Good as any other 10/22 as long as you could tolerate the stock. My friend had one, as I a said worked same as any other 10/22.

oneounceload
February 3, 2013, 05:19 PM
I had the staff at Gander refuse to honor the price of powder from a local Walmart as being" not the same, and of lower quality"

Really? You think St. marks powder, a subsidiary of General Dynamics, is going to make their Alliant powder to lower quality specs and incur law suits? The same goes to the major gun makers.

Unless it is a Walmart exclusive, it is the same gun, and if it is an exclusive, the only low quality might be a cheaper wood stock,or the combo sets where they add a cheap scope

Remember, guns are NOT a major item for Walmart like groceries or blue jeans or even computers

hso
February 3, 2013, 05:26 PM
If the model numbers are the same then the product is the same. That should be simple enough for anyone to understand.

OTOH, if the model number isn't the same then you have to ask why.

With knives, something I know a little about, some manufacturers will offer the same product in a cheaper packaging to differentiate products. The SKU will be different and the price will be lower in the cheaper packaging. At times a new model with cheaper materials will be produced at the behest of a Big Box retailer and that will be a unique model that has its own SKU from the manufacturer.

If you see a different model or SKU then you may be looking at a product that is different than what you'd see elsewhere, BUT if the make/model/SKU are the same the quality will be the same.

rtz
February 3, 2013, 05:49 PM
Here's one that's insidious and nefarious while we are on the subject about things being subtly different.

http://www.sogknives.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/780x320/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/o/sog_fsat-8_main.png

Get one of these knifes and take it apart. Now go buy the same knife from Home Depot and take it apart. You'll find a magnetic security tag in the handle:

http://www.bargainsway.com/images/DR%20AM%20Label.jpg

At about 7:20 minutes into this video he shows it(I had one and it had it too):

AmRf4kIrryo

And I'm nearly certain the cheap jeans walmart sells are seconds, blems, or "b rated". There is something different, screwed up, or not quite right or normal about any pair they sell.

If Amazon ever gets same day delivery going; walmart will be history. You'll be at work buying things on your phone and they will be at your house when you get home from work.

And to think at one time in the 1980's you could actually buy Glocks and other hand guns at walmart!

Then they stopped selling guns in stores. Then they started selling Colt 6920's(at a decent price) and other AR-15's for a very brief time. Now look at them! Bunch of flip flopping liberals or what?

larryh1108
February 3, 2013, 06:02 PM
Would gunmakers sell a less safe gun to a Walmart type retailer? No, the potential lawsuits would make any cut in costs not worth the risk.

However, I'm sure every company that produces products has a final QC section to check the final product. We often ask how issue abc got past QC on about every gun maker out there. My thought is that there could be 2 or 3 piles of finished products. Products that don't quite fit the eyeball part of the QC are sent to pile C, which sells to the Walmarts of the world. Things like funky grain on any wood parts like stocks or forends. Cosmetic parts that don't perfectly match against the mated part like a synthetic stock against the receiver, etc. Cosmetic flaws like uneven blueing, dimples in molded plastic and other non-essential flaws. These do occur and I'd be willing to bet these are the guns sent to places like Walmart. Why not? Someone has to get them.

AlexanderA
February 3, 2013, 06:06 PM
Big buyers ("big box" stores, chains, etc.) are in a position to specify things like degree of quality control, amount of pre-finish polish, fit of wood to metal, and so on, to meet their price point. It's well known that Italian imports from Pietta and Uberti, for example, sold at Cabela's are not as well made as the same models sold through Cimarron or Taylors. Cimarron and Taylors can afford to be picky about what they will accept from the makers because they have a higher price point to work with.

Actually, I'm not sure whether the big box stores "downgrade" or the boutique distributors "upgrade," but the end result is the same.

Jim, West PA
February 3, 2013, 06:27 PM
We have a LGS and the owners swears, and believes, that the name brand ammo sold at WM is factory "seconds", "rejects" even and will not " fit or work" in any of the firearms that he sells.He tells his customers that only ammo that he sells will " work in the guns i sell".

That's just as absured as saying WM sells inferior guns.

zorro45
February 3, 2013, 06:46 PM
I heard the same story about the little pancake type air compressor I was considering buying at Home Depot. My local specialty tool shop told me how bad it was, how the three nail guns that came with it were pieces of junk, etc. Well, I bought it anyway, and I drain the condensed water out of it each time I use it, and 10 years down the road it is still going strong. I have bought identical Rem870 shotguns from Dicks and my LGS and they are really identical except the price was $100 less at Dicks. When my local Walmart still sold guns they had some models that I would not buy, but I think it was just that they were the lower price point models, sometimes unpopular models, etc. and now they just sell ammunition.

texasgun
February 3, 2013, 07:05 PM
"Ruger 10/22 with a polymer "canoe paddle" stock"

if you prefer to the very cheap (hollow) plastic stock the entry level Ruger 10/22s have ... that's nothing Wal-Mart specific. I looked a the 10/22 takedown both at Wal-Mart and a dealer... EXACT same gun.

I doubt Ruger runs "special" stocks for Wal-Mart 10/22s versus the 10/22s at your dealer. Seriously - the few $s they would save would be more than eaten up by additional warehousing, logistics and the overall risk that a WalMart version would end up at a normal dealer.

Deaf Smith
February 3, 2013, 07:28 PM
I once had a doctor ask me about a Browning .22 he wanted.

I told him there was one at Wal-Mart just like that and he said, "But are they any good?"

See there was a high class gun shop near by, same gun, same designation, same bluing, just well the same gun, but for a much higher price.

The problem was the gun snob thought higher prices automatically meant higher quality, even if it was the same item.

Now Wal-Mart won't carry to many Kimber rifles or guns by Churchill ,or Piotti's but they get the same Remingtons and Mossbergs as any other gun dealer.

Deaf

rgwalt
February 3, 2013, 07:54 PM
I've heard this story several times before and I don't buy it. I've seen "economy" models sold at big box stores. The Beretta A3901 comes to mind. Synthetic stock and a different gas system set this $600 gun apart from the AL391, which starts at $1000. However, if the model number is the same, then I think that you can count on the product being being the same.

The thought that a gun manufacturer would hire a person or persons to pick out "factory seconds" or lower quality firearms for sale at a lower price to Walmart, Academy, or Dicks is absurd. It doesn't make sense from an economic perspective. The reason that big box stores can undercut the LGS is their volume buying power. However, if you want a special model, then you will likely have to seek that specific, higher end model out at a LGS (or more likely on-line). Another thing you get at a LGS is more knowledgable sales staff and the ability to pick up supplies and accessories like extra magazines, holsters, etc.

The idea that an ammo manufacturer would sell lower quality ammo (defects, seconds, etc) to a big box store is even more absurd. Do you know what it would cost them to run such a sorting operation? Absurd.

inkinskin
February 3, 2013, 07:57 PM
I got a Sig Sauer M400 MOE Enhanched rifle on black friday from Walmart and it is high quality with magpul upgrades.

Posted from Thehighroad.org App for Android

Sigokat
February 3, 2013, 08:05 PM
Firearms makers like Marlin and Winchester used to make cheaper versions of their rifles exclusively for retailers line Sears, Western Auto, and Montgomery Ward. I don't know why it's not reasonable to think it may still happen.

monotonous_iterancy
February 3, 2013, 08:07 PM
I don't believe for a second that the ammo is different. These stories have made me a bit wary of the guns. Not because they're mechanically inferior, it's just things like machining, wood quality, such as switching from walnut to birch, finishes, stuff like that, little things.

Btw, is Wal-Mart ever going to sell ARs again?

Deltaboy
February 3, 2013, 08:08 PM
I have heard this for years but I Don't believe it.

mcdonl
February 3, 2013, 08:10 PM
My guess is Walmart tends to sell the lower model from each manufacturer. Only a guess though, my closest two walmarts do not sell guns b

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dfariswheel
February 3, 2013, 08:22 PM
1. Like Sears, Wards, Gamble's, Western Auto, and others, gun makers do make special guns just for a retailer. These may have lesser wood or some features may be different, but the basic gun is the same.

Walmart has had custom order guns made just for them but these are guns with non-standard features so Walmart can offer something no one else has.
As example there was a Sam Walden Commemorative shotgun and a Ruger 10/22 with a longer barrel and a synthetic stock.

2. No gun maker would risk their company making a substandard gun for any retailer.

3. The telling fact: Walmart stores buy their guns from the SAME distributors that the local gun store buys.
Other then the special run Walmart-only guns, Walmart does NOT buy "train loads of guns" at a special low price or lower quality.

The local Walmart sporting goods manager orders that stores guns from distributors like RSR, Eliot Brother, and Zander's, just like the local gun shop.
The Colt AR-15 you buy at Walmart is exactly the same rifle sold by your local FFL store.

W L Johnson
February 3, 2013, 08:31 PM
So let me get this straight, some people need to be told that if it has a different model number it may not be the same?

Skyshot
February 3, 2013, 08:34 PM
I purchased a Stevens model 200 .308 from Walmart because it was the cheapest price I could find at the time. The rifle doesn't know it's a cheapie because it shoots sub MOA. Go figure.

Mosin T53
February 3, 2013, 09:08 PM
The main reason we can't get ammo at our local Wal-Mart is the gun dealers buy it all up!! They hike up the price and sell it in their shops.

W L Johnson
February 3, 2013, 09:13 PM
The main reason we can't get ammo at our local Wal-Mart is the gun dealers buy it all up!! They hike up the price and sell it in their shops.

Which magically make it higher quality according to many of these same dealers.

newfalguy101
February 3, 2013, 09:13 PM
Identical as far as functionality, not so much as far as cosmetics.

Wally-barf guns ( along with other big box chain stores) are built to a pricepoint.

Double_J
February 3, 2013, 09:15 PM
Wal-mart will spec. out a price point on some things and let the manufacturer figure out how to meet that price point. That is what happened at a company I used to work for. We would get a request for bid from wal-mart and we would figure out where to cut costs to get the price point. The electronics world does this by taking a given model and using lower grade parts, 5% components instead of 2%, less shielding, less packaging, etc.

The only way I see this happening with wal-mart for guns MIGHT be if they had a special model that was exclusive to them. I do not see it with the colt ar-15, ruger rifles, winchester, mossberg, remington, etc. Those are the same as you would buy somewhere else, but they are bought in such capacity that they get a bulk discount. I would gladly buy one from wal-mart if they had one in stock.

newfalguy101
February 3, 2013, 09:16 PM
No. In fact it's ridiculous to think that S&W, SIG, Savage, Remington, and all of the other brands they sell would manufacture a separate line of guns made from cheaper materials in this sue happy world.

To meet a pricepoint on a half million ( OR MORE ) dollar order, you better believe they will!!

gearhead
February 3, 2013, 09:19 PM
Here's one that's insidious and nefarious while we are on the subject about things being subtly different.

http://www.sogknives.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/780x320/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/o/sog_fsat-8_main.png

Get one of these knifes and take it apart. Now go buy the same knife from Home Depot and take it apart. You'll find a magnetic security tag in the handle:

http://www.bargainsway.com/images/DR%20AM%20Label.jpg

At about 7:20 minutes into this video he shows it(I had one and it had it too):

AmRf4kIrryo

And I'm nearly certain the cheap jeans walmart sells are seconds, blems, or "b rated". There is something different, screwed up, or not quite right or normal about any pair they sell.

If Amazon ever gets same day delivery going; walmart will be history. You'll be at work buying things on your phone and they will be at your house when you get home from work.

And to think at one time in the 1980's you could actually buy Glocks and other hand guns at walmart!

Then they stopped selling guns in stores. Then they started selling Colt 6920's(at a decent price) and other AR-15's for a very brief time. Now look at them! Bunch of flip flopping liberals or what?
I used to work for a company that made power tools, all the big box stores started requiring us to put those magnetic tags in everything because they were suffering so much lost inventory. It was a PITA to locate it inside a power tool handle because the store insisted on the tag being reliably deactivated when the barcode on the packaging was run across the scanner/deactivator.

W L Johnson
To meet a pricepoint on a half million ( OR MORE ) dollar order, you better believe they will!!

And it would have a different model #, maybe just one number or letter but different.

GAF
Wal Mart`s tin foil is of inferior quality thus leading to only a partial blockage of the control beams they use to control us. Thus this tread.

Blame Wal Mart !!! ;)

slowr1der
February 3, 2013, 09:21 PM
It's going to be the same gun you would get at a gun dealer if the model numbers are the same.

Now Walmart does occasionally have special runs for them which often are just a different stock, engraving, etc. however they will have a specific item number and the actual gun will be of no less quality. Heck in most cases like the 10/22 examples they often have better stocks than a similarly priced model from another dealer would.

Now, what you may see is a Remington 870 Wingmaster and Express at the gun shop, and only a 870 Express at Walmart with cheaper wood than the Wingmaster. It's not built specifically for Walmart, and it's exactly the same as the 870 Express at the gun shop, but it's Remington's low end 870 so will not have the quality wood and bluing you get on the Wingmaster.

An example that I personally experienced was a friend and I bought the same gun. He got his for $280 a few months before I got mine. He bought his at Walmart as they had it at the time. They hadn't gotten another one in when I wanted the same gun so I decided to just pay the extra from the gun shop to get it then. I paid $350 from the gun shop for the exact same gun. His from Walmart worked perfectly and looked identical to mine in fit and finish. Mine from the gun shop jammed every couple of shots and I couldn't get it to function properly. His also seemed to pattern much better with buckshot than mine did. After getting a couple of gunsmiths to work on mine, it finally started functioning properly, but I never did find a buckshot load that shot as well as his. That's just an example to show you that they are the same guns wherever you get them and you are just as likely to get one with a problem from a local gun shop as you are Walmart.

W L Johnson
February 3, 2013, 09:23 PM
Just pay attention to the model numbers
simple

vtail
February 3, 2013, 10:14 PM
The 10/22 stainless/wood "rifle" I bought at Walmart about 10 years ago supposedly was only available at Walmart.

This is when all other 10/22's were shorter and were labeled "carbine" instead of "rifle".

tgzzzz
February 3, 2013, 10:56 PM
I've always wondered when WM drives out all the LGS, will they still offer low prices?

oneounceload
February 3, 2013, 11:00 PM
The absolute stupidity among certain groups is our own undoing. It is absolutely amazing
how some folks seem to think that Walmart will go to all that trouble for something that is nothing to their bottom line in the overall scheme of things

Zardaia
February 3, 2013, 11:05 PM
I'd say yes and no. On one hand, like others have said whatever you get will be the exact same gun as if you'd boght in a gun story. OTOH I havn't seen any high end guns at my local walmart. Asside from the ocasional basic colt ar (pre panic) pretty much the whole rack's around 4-500$ guns or less. It's not that they deal inferior guns, they just don't carry high end options.

coolluke01
February 3, 2013, 11:17 PM
I can't speak to the quality of guns, but I do know for a fact that plumbing fixtures from big box stores are different than the ones I can get from my suppliers. Same model number and same lifetime warranty! I do believe the big box stores buy factory 2nds when they can.

The main concern I have though is that the big box stores are beginning to dictate the quality of the products the companies are making. They have so much buying power that they get to name the price and this forces the manufacture to reduce their production costs. This most often leads to lower quality. This seems to be the trend. Buying local and buying from small businesses will give you better customer service (hopefully) and keep the big box stores from controlling the market, thus insuring the quality of the products in the future.

texasgun
February 4, 2013, 12:26 AM
"Same model number and same lifetime warranty! I do believe the big box stores buy factory 2nds when they can."

that'd be incredibly stupid if it were true factory 2nd as they would still be covered by the lifetime warranty and would occur warranty costs for the manufacturer....

also - how do you know that these are "factory 2nds" when it's the exact same model number as the "good part" :confused:

sorry... any manufacturer who would sell 2nd class stuff to Wal-Mart couldn't keep that a secret for very long. too many folks would know about it and one day it would come out. either a product meets the quality guidelines of the manufacturer or it doesn't. to think that a manufacturers sorts each product/inspects it closely and then puts the "less good" ones into the Wal-Mart bucket knows nothing about mass manufacturing....

coolluke01
February 4, 2013, 12:34 AM
Like I said I don't know about the guns, but I can point to many examples of lower quality products from big box stores. Lifetime warranties only cover parts and not labor, also they are only to the original owners + you often have to have the receipt. In other words they aren't worth the paper they are written on.

Look at what has been happening with gun quality over the last few years. Things are not getting better and the Walmarts of this world will only encourage the degradation of quality.

texasgun
February 4, 2013, 12:38 AM
^^^

not sure if I agree with you. 20 yrs ago guns were also much more expensive (inflation adjusted).

You could get a U.S. made 10/22 for something like $200 a few months ago... does it last forever? not sure. but it's pretty darn solid quality.

Wal-Mart will never sell higher-end quality guns which are too expensive for their sporting goods section. Given how badly backordered Wilson/Nighthawk and others are I have no fear that U.S. gun quality is slipping.

Heck - SIG got even better within the last years. My recent P226 Elite is a very solid gun.

W L Johnson
February 4, 2013, 07:12 AM
Given how badly backordered Wilson/Nighthawk and others are I have no fear that U.S. gun quality is slipping
People were posting examples of rush jobs on many guns produced during the 08-09 panic. Some even had comparison photos of guns made before and during the panic, and it wasn't just US manufacturers. The same thing could start to happen with this one.

Pyzon
February 4, 2013, 10:41 AM
Often a different SKU is assigned by retailers so you cannot use a smart phone and price scanning apps to compare items between stores. Identical models are intentionally misidentified so price matching requests are thwarted.

JustinJ
February 4, 2013, 11:06 AM
The liability argument really is ridiculous. If Brand X usually uses milspec bolts to make their AR's but does not for a lot dedicated to walmart they are not assuming additional liability. One can not make a blanket statement that lower quality equals to higher danger in all cases. A cheaper extractor, looser specs, etc can mean a gun is more likely to fail or be less accurate without being more likely to blow up.

I have heard quite a bit of anecdotal evidence that some walmart products are of lesser quality as they manufacturers often sign deals to deliver a large volume to walmart at a reduced price. I can't confirm this of course but i would not take the chance on a weapon or ammo for which reliability is essential.

jrdolall
February 4, 2013, 12:23 PM
Walmart, or any other big retailer, is not buying factory 2nds. I think your LGS would me much more likely to buy the few factory 2nds that might be made available than would Walmart or Academy. Walmart would not be interested in 20 10/22s that might be $8 cheaper where a large local guy would definitely want them. By "2nd" I mean some cosmetic issue and not some design problem.

One of the things that make Walmart so cheap is there distribution system. They can get an item from point A to point B much more efficiently than can any of their competitiors. They have the volume to ask for, and receive, lower prices. They also have enough volume that manufacturers will make special runs specifically for them to their specs and/or to meet their price point. The Levis Blue Jeans is a good example. Levis at Walmart are different. I have not looked at product numbers but the ones I have from Walmart are deinitely inferior jean which is understandable since they ar $10 cheaper.

royal barnes
February 4, 2013, 01:41 PM
Big box stores do sometimes carry a firearm which has fewer accessories or "add ons" than the local LGS. We used to get questions at the LGS about price matching on certain guns which were significantly cheaper at Dick's. Beretta marketed a semiauto, don't remember the model #, through box stores that appeared to be the same gun but it had a different SKU, 2 chokes instead of 5 , and no "Knock off recoil system". Not a cheaper made gun just different.

cfullgraf
February 4, 2013, 02:32 PM
Wal-mart has not been the same since ole Sam Walton passed away.

.455_Hunter
February 4, 2013, 02:46 PM
Federal definitely makes specific ammo for Walmart. The product codes for certain 9 mm, .38 Special,.357 Magnum .40, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .30-06, .270, etc loads have a WM on the end of the number, such as 3006AWM.

Now the ammo MAY be just the same as the other Blazer Brass, Estate, American Eagle, Independence stuff, but it is a unique product.

Tommy Medlin
May 6, 2013, 09:44 AM
I would think a Rem. mod 700 is going to be the same where ever you buy it.Difference in stocks and finish would be very obvious.I have a Rem.870 from Walmart with a birch stock,but you can also get the same Mod.with a walnut stock if you pay the diff.

Jim, West PA
May 6, 2013, 10:28 AM
There is a local gun store owner in our area that swears, ( and believes), that walmart ammo is "inferior". When he sells a gun to a customer he tells them, " you cannot buy ammo at walmart that will work in the guns I sell. Walmart ammo is factory rejects and only works in the guns that walmart sells ". :what:
As i said, he not only uses this line on customers to get them to buy his over priced ammo.(current times have nothing to do with his prices. They were always way too high), he actualy believes his 'theory' about walmart ammo and the guns they sell.
This is how these rumors get started and fed for the unknowing.

If you enjoyed reading about "Are Wal-Mart guns lower quality?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!