Persent of hunters

PDA

Axel Larson
February 3, 2013, 03:45 PM
I am wondering if anyone could provide a reliable source that shows the amount of firearm owners to hunters. I would like to prove a point in one of my classes that hunters are a small percent of firearm owners.

If you enjoyed reading about "Persent of hunters" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Inebriated
February 3, 2013, 03:47 PM
Well, it would probably advantages to just setup a poll here. Your sample size wouldn't be terribly large, but you'd have some numbers.

gspn
February 3, 2013, 03:50 PM
One useful data source might be the number of hunting licenses sold per state. I think most syates list that number.

Youll have to consider all of the variables that go into that sales figure but at the least it will give you a very good handle on the number of legal hunters for that state in the past year.

Sam Cade
February 3, 2013, 04:11 PM
The USFWS (who damn well better know) says it is around 5% and falling.

http://wsfrprograms.fws.gov/Subpages/NationalSurvey/15_year_trend.htm

Many of these hunters are going to be exclusively bowhunters too.

1911Jeeper
February 3, 2013, 04:26 PM
USFWS or the state DNR for hunting stats, and Gallup Surveys for firearms ownership stats.

About 40-50% of households have a firearms owner.

oneounceload
February 3, 2013, 04:31 PM
ATKINS, the makers of Federal ammo, told a gun writer friend of mine, that they could not even be bothered with the shotgun target community and focus solely on the hunters and make more money selling more ammo. Hunters ARE the largest group of gun owners. Nt as a percentage of number of guns, but number of people. They are more l Ike.y to own fewer guns, but they have a greater number of folks in their ranks

Again, per the folks at Federal based on the ammo they sell.

When you think about how many trap,skeet, sporting clay shooters there are, and the thousands of rounds each shoots in a year.....to have ATK say that is nothing compared to opening day of dove season, let alone duck season.....that should say something

ridgerunner1965
February 3, 2013, 07:45 PM
ive noticed that the increase in hunting seems to correspond with increase in meat prices.i live in a rural area.in the 70's and 80's when i started deer hunting it seemed hunting was more of a tradition and a family activity.i saw tons of hunters in the woods skirting my property.

then in the mid 90's it seemed to be rare to see a hunter or hear shots near my property.up until the last few years.now im seeing more hunters than i have in years.i talk to lots of guys in my area lamenting if they dont get a few deer its going to be a hungry winter.a few years ago you couldnt give a dead deer away. now yud have guys standing in line for one.

as far as % of gun owners being hunters, in my area id say roughly 75% of gun owners hunt.and of the 25% that dont hunt, most did at one time.but i live in a rural area it may different in other areas.

AlexanderA
February 3, 2013, 08:08 PM
Again, per the folks at Federal based on the ammo they sell.

When you think about how many trap,skeet, sporting clay shooters there are, and the thousands of rounds each shoots in a year.....to have ATK say that is nothing compared to opening day of dove season, let alone duck season.....that should say something

The average target shooter uses a lot more ammo than the average hunter. In fact, the average hunter probably uses very little ammo. The quoted statement can only be explained if the target shooters are also reloaders, while the hunters use factory ammo.

Cesiumsponge
February 3, 2013, 08:55 PM
My coworker hunts and he is still working on a 5-year old box of .300 Weatherby, lamenting it'll cost him another $70 for a box a few years from now. He seemed incredulous when I mentioned I buy and use ammo by the case and spend thousands a year on ammo.

If you enjoyed reading about "Persent of hunters" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!