300gr Lead Bullet in 45LC

PDA

LordDunsany
February 3, 2013, 04:03 PM
I have a new model Vaquero, which is rated in strength roughly equivalent to the original Colt revolver. I normally shoot cowboy-level loads in it, and nothing warmer than 8gr of Unique with a 250gr lead boolit.

Digging through my storage bin revealed a couple hundred cast SWC boolits weighing in at 300 gr. A quick check shows that overall length will work in my Vaquero. I'd like to come up with a loading that is safe for my gun, and roughly the same as a cowboy level - well over mouse fart but nothing with major recoil as I have arthritic hands.

Can someone recommend a safe starting load? I have Bullseye, Unique, Trail Boss and 2400 on the shelf, would like to stay with one of those.

Thanks!

Ron in Texas ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "300gr Lead Bullet in 45LC" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
If you enjoyed reading about "300gr Lead Bullet in 45LC" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!