I need a good gunsmith in South Carolina

PDA

Carbon_15
March 9, 2004, 04:10 PM
I'm looking for someone to refinish my SKS in Parkarizing, Moly, Teflon or similar(cheaply..it is an SKS after all) in South Carolina, Central SC prefered.
Wessinger wont mess with military guns and The Gunsmith on 378 only does blueing.

If you enjoyed reading about "I need a good gunsmith in South Carolina" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bogie
March 9, 2004, 05:42 PM
Why?

prisoner6
March 9, 2004, 06:00 PM
If I recall correctly, there is someone near the Charlotte/Monroe area of NC that does plating and refinishing, though the name escapes me right now. Could find out if you were interested in coming that far.

VaughnT
March 9, 2004, 06:56 PM
Do not approach Anderson or deal with one S. Gilmer. Very bad job (mangled, scratched, gouged, FtFire, Hammer follow, Full-auto) on my 1991 that the great Ted Yost had a hard time repairing.

:cuss:

Can say the same for the Greenwood area.

So far as I know, there are no qualified gunsmiths in all of western South Carolina. I can't speak for eastern half of the state, but I do know that I'll will only deal with nationally-recognized smiths in the future, regardless of cost.

Carbon_15
March 9, 2004, 10:13 PM
Why?
Why What?

ny32182
March 9, 2004, 10:27 PM
I've had the exact same problem... can't seem to find a reputable gunsmith anywhere.

All I want is a new ejector on my old PT-92, but I don't want to ship it back to the factory to the tune of $70, since the gun only cost me $280 in the first place. If you guys find any, let me know.

Preacherman
March 9, 2004, 10:33 PM
ttbadboy, the parts (ejector and two pins) will cost you less than $20 from Gun Parts Corp - see here (http://www.e-gunparts.com/products.asp?chrMasterModel=2040zPT-92&MC=). With the parts, almost any halfway competent gunsmith or repair type should be able to stake it for you.

manyironsinfire
March 9, 2004, 10:41 PM
This may not work for you because of location but I've used a very good Gunsmith whose shop is in Beech Island SC near Augusta GA. for several years... He's the chief amorer for Wackinhut at the Savanna River Site. For plating, why not use a plating firm like Arizona response etc.. He sends out his plating jobs as well, but as a gunsmith , he's good...:cool:

45King
March 10, 2004, 08:33 AM
Try Jim Moates at The Gun Rack in Aiken. He's an excellent 'smith of the old school type. He has a full service shop, and his two apprentices are top notch. Jim specializes in "morphing" old beat up shotguns and rifles into presentation grade guns with beautiful stock work. He subs out metal engraving and inlay (gold/silver) and some machining work, but mostly he does it all himself. He should be able to tackle your job fairly quickly and reasonably.
While you're there, ask to see the (mostly) for sale firearms he has in his personal office. (Be sure to have a good drool rag handy.) ;)

803.648.7100 is the ph. #.

If you enjoyed reading about "I need a good gunsmith in South Carolina" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!