shooting with primers?

PDA

RonDeer10mm
February 3, 2013, 06:52 PM
what happens if I shoot a case that only has a primer?

If you enjoyed reading about "shooting with primers?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
clutch
February 3, 2013, 06:53 PM
It makes a loud noise. Wear ear protection.

RonDeer10mm
February 3, 2013, 06:57 PM
but is it ok to do frequently?

Shadow 7D
February 3, 2013, 07:02 PM
WHY?
there are some "indoor" training type ammo sold that uses a reloadable rubber bullet and a mag primer, if you just shoot a primer, it's like a cap, once again, WHY
if you shoot a primer and a bullet, you have a squib, that leads to blown up guns...

eam3clm@att.net
February 3, 2013, 07:11 PM
The primer will most likely back out of the case. This could cause a problem in a semi auto pistol.

ku4hx
February 3, 2013, 07:15 PM
what happens if I shoot a case that only has a primer?
Not much other than a pretty loud pop. Unless they're corrosive, all you'll get is a little residue in the bore. But why would you want to do it repeatedly? There are safe ways to remove live primers.

As to locking up a semi auto, I've heard of it doing that but never witnessed it.

clutch
February 3, 2013, 07:17 PM
Are you doing this to simulate blank ammo?

Firing primers shouldn't hurt anything.

ahil925
February 3, 2013, 07:52 PM
Should just make a loud noise and maybe throw a bit of flash. Still, follow proper firearm handling rules.

The Lone Haranguer
February 3, 2013, 08:49 PM
It will make a loud "pop," and you will have to eject the case manually by racking the slide, since there is no powder charge or projectile to generate recoil or blowback force. Don't fire a case with a primer and a bullet. The primer force will push the bullet partway up the barrel and stick it there.

Bikewer
February 3, 2013, 10:53 PM
The primer alone is commonly used for wax-bullet loads and similar sub-loads. Speer plastic bullets are also propelled by the primer, and may be fired out of ordinary cases.
You have to drill out the primer flash-hole, however, if you use ordinary cases... Else as the guys say the primer will back out and tie up a revolver.

Teachu2
February 3, 2013, 10:56 PM
The primer will most likely back out of the case. This could cause a problem in a semi auto pistol.
Completely and totally incorrect. Used to use them frequently in both revolvers and semis when doing training. I've fired or witnessed firing several dozens of these and never seen a primer back out.

As noted above, adding a projectile will change the result.

bds
February 3, 2013, 11:26 PM
+1. For another thread, I test fired a bunch of primer only cases (no bullet/no powder) with no issues , just a loud "pop" - http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=7813436#post7813436

If you fire with primer only and bullet, you will stick the bullet in the barrel known as a "squib round" that has the potential for catastrophic failure if another round is fired with the obstructed barrel.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=155157&stc=1&d=1324482207

Havok7416
February 4, 2013, 05:13 AM
I fired a bunch of pistol primers I couldn't identify off my back porch (in a .44) with no ill effects. There is nothing to drive the primer out of the case and nothing is happening that wouldn't normally with the powder and bullet in there. Go for it (minus the bullet of course).

inkinskin
February 4, 2013, 10:51 AM
Dont waste good primers, people are looking for those. I just dry fire for training.

Posted from Thehighroad.org App for Android

pockets
February 4, 2013, 11:08 AM
I "shoot with primers" all the time..... .22 primer-only cartridges made by Aquila: Colibri and Super-Colibri. Granted, they are designed for the purpose with a lightweight bullet and a lot of caution verbiage on the box. If you do not pay attention, these can get stuck in a tight, dirty, or long barrel...hence the cautions. But these are a great way to shoot my normal .22LR guns, with the same backstop and range that I use for air guns. NOTE: My 'air gun backstop' was designed to stop heavy hunting pellets from .20 to 9mm Pre-Charged Pneumatic (PCP) air rifles, it will easily and quietly stop a 3fpe Colibri or a 6fpe Super-Colibri bullet.

I also load .25acp center-fire cartridges with a primer and a mid-weight .25 pellet (RWS SuperDome mostly) in it. The little Beretta tip-ups are great single-shot fun this way.

Loc n Load
February 4, 2013, 11:26 AM
Back in the 70's and 80's when I lived in the big city and couldn't just step outside and shoot ,I used to practice a lot with my k frame duty weapon inside my residence shooting the Speer plastic bullets, that were powered by primers.....Speer also made the plastic case. You pressed the case down on the primer to seat it, stuck the flat faced "bullet" into the case and you could shoot these across a room with no problem......I made a free standing target frame with a piece of carpet hanging about a foot behind the actual target for a back stop.......I shot thousands of these over a period of years......was a great way for me to develop my basic skill steps of Grip, draw, etc....and they were surprisingly accurate. They did smoke the gun up a lot...but that was an easy clean up. These were a lot easier and cleaner to use than the wax "bullets".

Drail
February 4, 2013, 01:55 PM
Shooting a case with only a primer CAN cause the primer to back out and tie up the gun in SOME guns. I have seen it happen numerous times. The worst thing about shooting primed cases is the primer residue that will be deposited in the chamber and barrel. It makes a mess and can be hard to remove.

JoePfeiffer
February 4, 2013, 08:04 PM
I can't find a way to delete my post? Anyway, I posted that I didn't see how primer backing out could happen before I googled...

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk 2

DPris
February 4, 2013, 10:11 PM
In about 1984 I experimented with loading primers only in UNMODIFIED .38 Special cases for use as blanks for live-action training scenarios for my PD. The department budget did not allow for regular blanks.

These were all in standard .38 Special Smith Model 64s and I can tell you most emphatically that doing so CAN BACK OUT PRIMERS ENOUGH TO TIE UP CYLINDER ROTATION.
This is commonly known.

Just because you may never have done it does not mean it doesn't happen.
Using the Speer plastic bullet, drilling out the primer pocket flash hole, or creating wads by punching the open case mouths into thin cork or styrofoam sheets will stop the primers from backing out.
Denis

HKGuns
February 5, 2013, 06:38 PM
Expect flame to come out of the barrel and do follow the safety rules. Other than that there is a loud crack and harms nothing other than your ears.

If you enjoyed reading about "shooting with primers?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!