Ultrasonic cleaner for integral can

PDA

kimbershot
February 3, 2013, 07:56 PM
i have an awc amphibian integral--love it! has anyone used an ultrasonic cleaner to help eliminate the internal crap buildup? if so--are you satisfied with the results. i know simple green as a solution, is a no no for aluminum.

i would also use cleaner for a take apart can as well as gun parts and shell casings.

thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Ultrasonic cleaner for integral can" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
boricua9mm
February 6, 2013, 09:15 AM
I use a Hornady Magnum 3-Liter Ultrasonic tank. I bought it primarily to clean my stainless steel suppressor baffles b/c otherwise, it is a 2 hour affair of constant scrubbing with a wire brush. I think I paid somewhere between $220-250 for it.

I use 50/50 Purple Power and water. I put the tank at max temp (~150F) for ~45 minutes. After that, I pull the baffles and give them a scrub, then back in the drink for another 45 minutes and then reasess the situation. The process still takes a good amount of time, but it it is time I can spend cleaning the host weapons. On top of that my hands don't become arthritic like they would if I was scrubbing them manually for hours on end.

The tank is also useful for cleaning BCGs from ARs and I also use it to clean my HK trigger pack. For those items, I rinse them with water afterwards and make sure to dry them out completely and then relube all the metal surfaces to prevent rust. Works like a charm. You can toss 'em in while you do your suppressor cleaning if you've got room.

I can't give a 100% recommendation of the Hornady unit b/c the first one I had developed an electrical problem in the circuit board and it had to be replaced. Hornady only offers a 1yr warranty on these machines. They are made in China, so that's something to consider when you weigh the machine against the warranty.

Jay Kominek
February 6, 2013, 09:30 PM
I've run my M4-2000 through an ultrasonic cleaner with a variety of cleaning agents, just to see what happens.

Basically there seems to be too much internal volume which is trapping way too much crud. Didn't matter how long I ran it, there was still more stuff left inside.

Now I don't worry about it. Clean the threads. Let the multithousand PSI superheated gases clean the rest of it.

bill3424
February 7, 2013, 08:12 PM
I have a cheap Harbor Freight one I've been using for years. Considering how much I spent, it's more than paid for its self.

Gato MontÚs
February 8, 2013, 12:58 PM
Speaking of which, those HF sonics can be had right now for 59.99 with coupon, I'll dig it up if interested.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ultrasonic cleaner for integral can" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!