Trigger pull weight?

PDA

ZVP
February 3, 2013, 08:25 PM
What is the best weight for a Bobbed Hammer Model 36 trigger?
Mine is all of 9 lbs plus and that seems heavy as hell!
I know safety is an issue but what is as light as safe?
Thanks,
ZVP

If you enjoyed reading about "Trigger pull weight?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Old Fuff
February 3, 2013, 09:01 PM
The problem with your J-frame S&W is that it's little (as in "small") and the parts inside of it are also the same, with the hammer and trigger pivots being closer together. This means the trigger has less leverage and mechanical advantage when it rotates the hammer backwards against the tension of the mainspring. You can lighten the springs, but this usually has a negative effect on total reliability.

If the double-action is truly 9-pounds in such a small revolver that's exceptionally good. You can return it to the factory for what's called a "street action job," after which it should come back with some improvement, but you may be disapointed in the degree of improvement.

You might also check out Ruger's new LCR and S&W's Bodyguard .38 Special, that offer entirely different designs then your older model 36, and are reputed to have easier trigger puls.

Remllez
February 3, 2013, 10:38 PM
ZVP,

You have a nice revolver there. You are experiencing typical J-Frame behavior. To ensure reliable ignition in the J-Frames S&W springs them heavy. You can get lighter springs from Wolff if you want but it usually doesn't make much difference.

If you get too light on the springs they won't have the power to pop the primers 100% of the time. You can have a gunsmith slick up the action which is money well spent, although it won't feel much lighter, but the trigger pull is smooth as butter.

Nine pounds is pretty light compared to most of the J guns I've shot. That long heavy pull also helps prevent accidental discharges. I would suggest some dry firing and shooting 4-5 boxes of ammo to let you and your gun get used to each other.

I still own a few J-Frames and I shoot them on a regular basis. I won't say they are range guns but after awhile they kinda grow on you. You may find the recoil objectionable in which case there are beau coup options made for your blaster but Wadcutter or semi Wadcutters are always good places to start.

roaddog28
February 3, 2013, 11:10 PM
Actually 9lbs is good for a J frame. My model 36 is 10 to 11 lbs. These are short range cc revolvers only. Practice and getting used to the trigger pull will help you get use to the revolver.
Howard

Jaymo
February 3, 2013, 11:35 PM
My little J frame 31-1 has a smooth but HEAVY DA trigger.
The SA trigger is amazing.

9mmepiphany
February 4, 2013, 12:47 AM
I know safety is an issue but what is as light as safe?
You're pretty much there already...the only improvement would be if it weren't smooth.

I've fired K,L,and N-frames that had triggers as light as 6.5 lbs, but I'm pretty sure you can't get a J-frame down that low and expect reliable ignition

If you enjoyed reading about "Trigger pull weight?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!