Actual experience with Taurus

PDA

TennJed
February 3, 2013, 11:14 PM
I am not a Taurus fanboy by any means, but I have owned 2 taurus over the years with zero problems. The taurus bashing by people who have not first hand expeirence kind of gets old. I am curious to see what actual owners have had. So please vote accordingly

If you enjoyed reading about "Actual experience with Taurus" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
joecil
February 3, 2013, 11:28 PM
I own 3 Taurus pistols and 2 Rossi Rifles. I had a minor problem with one of the rifles out of the box, called got it picked up that after noon and back in my hands 5 business days later. Had a broken recoil spring in one sent again they sent a mailing label sent back and returned in about 6 business day with an extra recoil spring assembly. Every gun but one has had at least 2000 rounds through them at this point and the one that hasn't I bought 5 months ago with few places to shoot it.

gamestalker
February 3, 2013, 11:52 PM
I love them. I honestly can't tell you how many we have in our family, both AL's and revolvers and all function 100% reliably and handle everything I load for them, and accurately. They aren't priceless pieces, just great reliable handguns.
GS

Skribs
February 3, 2013, 11:57 PM
Taurus has great customer service and does great repairs. It's because they have too much practice.

ApacheCoTodd
February 4, 2013, 12:03 AM
Only revolvers (x5) in .38/.357 flavors currently and a PT-92 for years when they first came out.

Never a problem, in fact, I didn't know how much danger I was in relying upon them till I started reading about them here.:neener:

el Godfather
February 4, 2013, 12:03 AM
I rather choose the option in subject line. Unfortunately it is not one of the options listed so i could not vote.

I have given try to 4 taurus products. All of them turned out to be substandard. The two 24/7 9mms had weak firing pin that would take few strikes to fire and had occasional FTE issues. One 24/7 45 had FTF issues. The 1911 was better but after some rough use it deteriorated.

Jim K
February 4, 2013, 12:45 AM
Hi, joecil,

I am not a Taurus basher, but you say you have five Taurus products (I presume the Rossis were made after Taurus took over), and two have had problems serious enough to require return to the factory. I honestly can't say that a 40% failure rate should be acceptable.

Just MHO, but great customer service is nice for washing machines and toasters, but if a handgun doesn't work when you need it, you might be too dead to return the defective product.

Jim

Swichblade
February 4, 2013, 01:31 AM
My experience with Taurus handguns is mixed. I have shot a .40 24/7 for years with no damaged parts and no failures to eject or feed that I can remember. Occasionally the slide doesn't close all the way, pulling the trigger pushes the slide forward all the way, and it goes to double action. Overall good pistol. Then there is the pt 22. This thing has had failures to do just about everything. It has gotten better with use, but it had problems with failing to eject/feed on almost every shot. We sent it back in twice, and it works well now, but nowhere near perfectly. I am worried it will break sometime because the part of the frame that the slide hits when going back forwards is getting disfigured.

Bassleg
February 4, 2013, 01:46 AM
My son and me have 3 Taurus handguns and have had no problems with them they shoot great and we shoot a lot at least 1 or 2 times a week PT740,44 special UL 2" barrel and a Judge 2"barrel.

ljnowell
February 4, 2013, 01:57 AM
I've posted my experience too many times to do it again. No matter what there will be fanboys that will out right call people a liar for telling about thier bad experience, so I wont play this game anymore. Do a search, its been covered as many times as "what gun for bear?"

TennJed
February 4, 2013, 02:14 AM
I've posted my experience too many times to do it again. No matter what there will be fanboys that will out right call people a liar for telling about thier bad experience, so I wont play this game anymore. Do a search, its been covered as many times as "what gun for bear?"
Why so touchy. Being the OP let me interject that I am neither a fanboy or a basher. I am just curious as to how it plays out in the polls. Just some numbers to compare

cyclopsshooter
February 4, 2013, 02:23 AM
Needs to be a poll option for have owned, never will again.

ljnowell
February 4, 2013, 02:35 AM
Why so touchy. Being the OP let me interject that I am neither a fanboy or a basher. I am just curious as to how it plays out in the polls. Just some numbers to compare

Did I say you were? No. Wait and see how this turns out, then get back to me. There are four kinds of people in this discussion.

1. Own taurus, love taurus, no problems ever.
2. Owned taurus, had problems, taurus fixed it. happy.
3. Owned taurus, had huge headache, taurus never fixed it, got rid of it in disgust, never own one again.
4. Taurus fanboys that will call anyone that dares speak out against taurus a liar, gun snob, or whatever.

#4 is why I wont even bother telling my reasons anymore. They will be here soon too, you can count on that.

BP44
February 4, 2013, 02:41 AM
Ljnowell, Put me down for the #3 but I'm sure in no time flat we will hear from the #4's

hemiram
February 4, 2013, 04:36 AM
A Taurus was my first gun, and it was my worst. It had major problems that Taurus couldn't seem to fix, even though they were beyond obvious, it being a Model 83 revolver. I bought it brand new, the day after I turned 21.

Timing, crunchy action, bad lock up, all that was fixed in it's two trips to Taurus. The totally messed up rifling was unfixible, and Taurus twice wrote back that nothing was wrong with it. One look with a bore light would have showed them something was seriously messed up with it. It leaded so bad that after six shots you had to take a brass screwdriver and pound the lead out of it.

I was so happy when I sold it for a slight loss. One positive, it did have one of the best nickel plating jobs I have ever seen. Since then, I've been tempted, but I've resisted the urge to try another one.

jimbeaux82
February 4, 2013, 04:43 AM
I have owned 3 Taurus handguns, a AT 99, M85, and PT111 and have had zero issues with them, and I have shot them extensively

oldandslow
February 4, 2013, 05:03 AM
TJ, 2/4/13

I've got a couple that I bought years ago. First the 94 revolver, a 9 shot .22. Worked adequately to teach new shooters.

Next- the PT-99, the adjustable sight version of the PT-92. The rear sight kept falling off while shooting and the locking block broke into two pieces effectively locking the slide just out of battery. I filed a dovetail into the rear sight slot and put in a fixed HK-USP rear sight and had no more sight issues. After trying for three days to call Taurus they finally answered their phone. They said they would ship out a new locking block. Three months later no locking block. I called again and the helpful gent at Taurus checked his computer and said it was sent to the wrong state. He said he'd get another one out to me and it arrived in three weeks. Now it shoots fine again. If I was to do it over again I'd just have gotten a used Beretta 92. Good luck.

best wishes- oldandslow

BigN
February 4, 2013, 05:20 AM
Owned a Tracker for one year. Went back to the factory 4 times, still wasn't fixed. Dumped it.

docsleepy
February 4, 2013, 06:14 AM
I've had great luck with My Taurus's , but I chose them carefully. I bought the PT 99, and since everyone knew about the locking block problem in first-generation berettas I change the locking block to a fourth-generation locking block. No problems ever. Have had 2 .380 TCPs. Love them.

Can't say much about the other Taurus models, haven't ever had them.

postalnut25
February 4, 2013, 06:22 AM
I had a Taurus 1911. It worked just fine. Nothing special, but nothing horrible either. Just another gun.

ole farmerbuck
February 4, 2013, 07:04 AM
Owned a Tracker for a few days. Back to the factory for a joy ride I guess because they didn't help it. Took it back to the lgs and traded it off.

MedWheeler
February 4, 2013, 07:50 AM
I own two. First is a M66 revolver, purchased new in 1987. About ten years later (two of them on the streets changing hands from one thug to another after being stolen) it developed a minor issue with the ejector sleeve working loose every now and then, which locks the cylinder shut. Easy fix with Loc-Tite, and did not need contact with Taurus.
The second is a PT-22, purchased used in 2012. The Taurus web site dates it by serial number as having been made in 1998. It works flawlessly with high-quality ammunition, as most small blowback rimfire pistols demand.

I also owned a M94 rimfire revolver from 1989 until 1996. It was purchased as a trainer and bedside gun for my then-wife, whom I let take it when we divorced. It was a fun little shooter that would have served well as a trail gun or plinker (actually did serve in the latter capacity.)

I'm satisfied as a Taurus owner. Maybe not necessarily impressed, but pleased.

Pilot
February 4, 2013, 08:48 AM
I bought a second generation Taurus PT145 Milpro .45 on a whim. It turned out to be reliable, accurate for its size, and very easy to carry. A friend of mine saw it at the range, and really wanted it so I sold it to him, but I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

rbernie
February 4, 2013, 08:52 AM
My experiences with their early products (e.g. PT92, five-screw S&W clones) were satisfying and trouble free. My experiences with later products (e.g. PT1911, 24/7, Ti Tracker) was less satisfying.

I would buy a PT92 or an older revo. I would not buy a newer product.

pockets
February 4, 2013, 09:23 AM
Owned a few over the years without any issues.
Still own 2 Taurus pistols.....no issues.

clem
February 4, 2013, 09:37 AM
The last one, a brand new 941 was and still is a piece of junk.
The former CEO would not respond to my registered letter either.

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me."

Ky Larry
February 4, 2013, 10:37 AM
I had a PT-92 years ago. On its first range trip the slide locked up about half way back and the rear siights fell off. Took it back to Buds and traded it for a used S&W Model-19 which I still have. No more Tauri since but if you like 'em, that's fine with me.

Inebriated
February 4, 2013, 10:50 AM
Never owned one, never will.

Taurus guns just aren't pleasant to look at, IMO. I'm sure they're reliable, and I know for a fact a couple of their revolvers are good shooters (friend's guns that I've shot quite a bit), but like I said.... not pleasant to look at, and not a lot less money than a comparable firearm from other manufacturers.

brnmw
February 4, 2013, 10:50 AM
My Taurus M85 "UL" did have an issue right out of the box... got it fixed, now it has no issues. Personally I am not really a "Taurus" fan but they are good guns for their price.

bds
February 4, 2013, 10:53 AM
I was not fond of Taurus pistol models with DAO triggers but on a suggestion from the range staff, I tried Mil Pro PT145 with SA/DA trigger (but always shoots in SA mode) ... and wow, what a difference and I bought a stainless slide model.

It has shot 7000+ rounds of various factory and reloads without issues. It particularly feeds SWC loads reliably (which my G30 did not) and has the smallest grip for double-stack 45ACP with good ergonomics (if you have small hands, you can still reach all the controls - my wife loves the grip size). Slide length is shorter than G26/G27 and grip length is comparable to G19/G23 and uses the same Fobus holster as XD pistol.

It is now part of my CCW rotation along with G23/G27.

Here's my review of MilPro PT145 SA/DA after 5000 rounds - http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=7834849#post7834849

MilPro PT145 next to G27/+1 Pearce grip extension
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=126845&stc=1&d=1283178089

BP Hunter
February 4, 2013, 01:24 PM
I have a PT1911 that I have owned for about 5 years and have been very happy with it. The blueing is coming off the areas of holster contact. It actaully looks quite old and used though not only a feew years old. Otherwise, it has been utterly reliable and accurate.

I had a Taurus M85 .38 snubbie which was also very reliable but I sold it for a "better" gun. I was never really that accurate with a revolver anyway.

I had a Taurus 92 in .40 cal. I liked it and was flawless but got tired of it so I traded it.

I had a Taurus 24/7 OSS in 9mm. It was one of the easiest handguns to shoot - it had a 5 inch barrel, a great trigger and had a very light recoil. It was very reliable adn accurate but...shot low and left so I sold that also.

I had a Taurus Millenium Pro in 45. The magazine had feeding problems but otherwise the gun itself was reliable. I got tired of it and sold it.

My first handgun was a Taurus 24/7 which I bought second hand but returned it because of a broken extractor.

Wow, I never knew I had so many Tauruses.

Steve51
February 4, 2013, 02:16 PM
I own two Taurus revolvers (M66ss4 and Tracker 992ss6). No issues with either one. I have a Rossi R92 lever action (.357 mag). I modified it from the beginning using Steve Young's video and a new Lee's gunsmithing mainspring from Brownell's. I also put a Marbles ghost ring rear sight on it. It will never be a Henry but so far I am happy with it.

JR47
February 4, 2013, 03:07 PM
I own 14 Taurus handguns. I own more S&W and Colt guns than that. I've also had far more trouble with the Colt and S&W than with the Taurus guns. The oldest is a Model PT92. With over 30K of rounds through it, it's still on the original locking block. I change recoil springs every 5K.

The ONLY "problem" that I have encountered with a Taurus was when I deliberately shot a Model 85 CH (non +P rated) loose with a steady diet of +P and +P+ ammunition. It took 5300 rounds to do that. I returned it to Taurus, along with a note explaining what I'd done, and asked for an estimate of repair. Six weeks later, it was returned, free, completely rebuilt.

Simply put, the more guns sold, the more problems there will be. Many Taurus buyers admit that this is their first gun. I cannot tell you how many we sold in a shop I worked in. Some came back for legitimate problems, but many came back due to dirt, and operator malfunction.

Personally, in semi-autos, I prefer Sig. However, my P229 cracked it's slide in under 75 rounds. I also bought a new HK USP. The gun would pattern, rather than group. Turns out that the barrel was out of spec.

I long ago stopped worrying about others opinions by brand. I worry about my particular gun. I've found that this leaves me with more time for shooting.

The_Armed_Therapist
February 4, 2013, 03:19 PM
I have owned two Taurus firearms. The first was a Model 445 .44 Special revolver. Owned for years, never a single problem. I traded this with a friend of mine simply because I wanted to fund a pistol, and I'm not much of a revolver guy.

The second is (still own it) a Taurus 24/7 Pro with the 5" barrel in 9mm. In the first hundred rounds or so, I had a couple of problems, but it has been perfect in many hundreds since then. I bought this one to be mostly a range toy, as I'm one of those loonies who prefers something larger for carry and defense. It is comfortable in the hand, recoil is practically nonexistent (Again, I'm used to bigger calibers), and it's wonderfully accurate. The few issues at the beginning were originally a concern for me, but I've even had Glocks and Kahrs that had issues at the beginning, but have since been worked out, and are now perfect.

In addition, this 24/7 only cost me $325 NIB. Compared to the other new pistols you can buy in that price range (Sigma, Ruger P95, etc...), I consider this to be a fantastic value.

My Father-in-Law has a Judge that has given him constant headaches, so he tells everyone to stay away from Taurus. I understand his frustrations, but that's an absurd sample size to paint them as junk.

Thor88
February 4, 2013, 03:34 PM
I currently own a a Taurus PT-92.
It has not been anything but completely reliable and accurate.

I dont know how much of this is because of the Beretta tooling, but I would not hesitate to buy another.

easyg
February 4, 2013, 03:36 PM
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n165/allenXdog/HPIM5676.jpg
I had this 905 for a while and was fantastic.

The only reason I parted with it was because I have learned that 5-shot snubbies are not for me.

MRH
February 4, 2013, 05:22 PM
Many years ago bought a 3" M94. Great shooting gun and totally reliable. It is a companion on many hunting and hiking trips.

A few years ago I got a new PT1911. Constant jams with multiple loads and both mags. One mag literally fell apart. Switched to Chip McCormick Shooting Star mags and gun ran (runs) perfectly. My most accurate 45.

WYOMan
February 4, 2013, 05:33 PM
I had a Taurus Tracker in .357 that was a very good gun. I wish I still had it. I keep hoping that they'll make the Tracker in .45 Colt with a 6in. or 7in. barrel someday. I would buy one in a heart beat.

SlamFire1
February 4, 2013, 06:15 PM
Happy with my Taurus 38 Snubbie and my 44 Special.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/SlamFire/Pistols%20various/DSCN5643.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/SlamFire/Pistols%20various/ReducedTarusM43144SplDSCN2708.jpg

Centurian22
February 4, 2013, 07:27 PM
Tagging this for reference as I am looking into a 24/7 or possibly millennium G2 in the near future.

ThusEver2Tyrants
February 4, 2013, 07:43 PM
I own a pt1911 and a judge. Both have functioned very well. In my opinion a person would be hard pressed to find a better 1911 with the upgrades found on nicer 1911s for under 7 bills. (I paid 630 for my railed stainless model)

I have honestly never had even a hiccup with the 1911. Ever. And even my glocks have a small hiccup once in a blue moon...

As for the judge, it came with the front sight slightly more left than it should be. Fixed it in about 20 seconds. Other than that it is a great revolver.

I cant say enough about their 1911s tho...a buddy bought a sr1911 while they were nowhere to be found, paid way too much for it and it is not as nice as the taurus...imho

Gladius
February 4, 2013, 08:47 PM
I don't consider myself a Taurus fan at all. But I took a chance on a PT1911 -- a chance I'm glad I took. I've only run around 400 or so rounds through it, but it's eaten everything it's been fed, from JHP's of various weights to some rather dubious handloads, some of which jammed a more expensive tuned 1911 that day. Every mag I used fed well, including the factory mags. Accuracy is very good, it even makes me look like a good shot. The slide moves like it's on ball bearings, real smooth. Trigger pull is light, but slightly mushy.
I don't have much interest in Taurus' other products (personal preference, I guess), but the PT1911 is a winner in my book.

bikerdoc
February 4, 2013, 09:45 PM
92, 605, 1911, all work great from the beginning. But so do my CZ's Rugers and Smiths.

EBK
February 4, 2013, 10:53 PM
Can not vote in your poll as there is no option for me.

I have owned 3 taurus handguns

1) 2nd gen PT111 DAO heavy trigger no functional issues. SOld because the trigger did not agree with my index finger injury

1)3rd gen PT111 pro SA/DA no functional issues in thousands of rounds. Still carry to this day.

1) PT845 Failures to feed from day one, mag would drop during firing cycle but not when you the mag release on an empty mag. slide would lock back with ammo still in the magazine. Eventually the slide lock broke. 4 trips back for service all but the failure to feed issue was resolved. sold it for a loss back to the store i bought it from.

2 out of 3 were great. I would reccomend the MILL PRO line up with out hesitation. I DO NOT/ WILL NOT however reccomend the 800 series guns.

EBK
February 4, 2013, 11:04 PM
Did I say you were? No. Wait and see how this turns out, then get back to me. There are four kinds of people in this discussion.

1. Own taurus, love taurus, no problems ever.
2. Owned taurus, had problems, taurus fixed it. happy.
3. Owned taurus, had huge headache, taurus never fixed it, got rid of it in disgust, never own one again.
4. Taurus fanboys that will call anyone that dares speak out against taurus a liar, gun snob, or whatever.

#4 is why I wont even bother telling my reasons anymore. They will be here soon too, you can count on that.

5) Owned taurus had a massive headache. Taurus never fixed it. Got rid of it. Still own a taurus that is 100% reliable. I will never buy a taurus 800 series again. I would not hesitate to purchase a Mil Pro if I was in the market again.

ljnowell
February 4, 2013, 11:56 PM
5) Owned taurus had a massive headache. Taurus never fixed it. Got rid of it. Still own a taurus that is 100% reliable. I will never buy a taurus 800 series again. I would not hesitate to purchase a Mil Pro if I was in the market again.

Lol, yeah, no matter how much you try to cover your bases, there will be that "other" wont there? I had my bad experiences with both revolver and semi-auto, never to be corrected by taurus. No more details than that other than to say that I wont own them again. Anyone could search my history and find it.

NOLAEMT
February 5, 2013, 02:05 AM
when i worked for a gunshop, more than half of all guns brought in for warranty were taurus.

most of them broken right out of the box, or shortly after.

Taurus... no thank you!

DMK
February 5, 2013, 02:34 PM
I have two Taurus "J frame" sized revolvers and a family member has a third. One is a 9mm model 905, one a .38 model 85 and the other a 22LR. No problems with any of them at all. The workmanship is even pretty nice. My blued 22 has a very nice finish actually.

Kiln
February 5, 2013, 04:22 PM
My only experience has been with the Taurus PLY22. So far so good with over 600 rounds of Minimags through it. I'd have fired it much more if all of the ammunition hadn't dried up.

tiamat
February 5, 2013, 04:27 PM
I went with option #1. I've always been intrigued with them, especially considering their low price, and yet I've also always been leery of them, especially considering their low price :evil:

Outlaw Man
February 5, 2013, 05:51 PM
I had a used early model 24/7 in .45 that had a lot of problems jamming. Taurus gladly replaced the mafazines under warranty, which helped the problem by about 50%. I didn't have the patience to see it through, but I think they would have eventually fixed the problem. The gun was extremely accurate when it worked, for what it's worth.

When I went through my "try every inexpensive 1911 I could find to see if one shoots like a Kimber" debacle, I tried one of their 1911s about as soon as I could find one. It shot well, but I couldn't get used to the Heinie sights, and I was dead set on finding one I didn't have to do anything to.

I'd consider one again, depending on the circumstances.

I still don't have a 1911, by the way...

Godsgunman
February 5, 2013, 06:21 PM
I had to mark "Owned/Still own Taurus and with a problem". I have had quite a few Tauri through the years. PT 111, PT 140, PT 908, Judge, and M65 .357. The only one I still have is the M65. The only one I had any issues with was the 908, which I wish I still had because it was a very good looking gun but just to many issues. Customer service was pleasant enough and pretty dang quick when I had to send that one in, but the issues continued so I had to sell it. I think their wheel guns are better than their semis. I love the trigger and accuracy on my 65, very sweet and plan on keeping her for a long time.
Would I buy another? Probably but the 908 is always at the back of my mind.

Rail Driver
February 5, 2013, 06:28 PM
I didn't vote - You can't select more than one option.

I have owned Taurus guns in the past, some with problems and some without. I don't care for them personally (primarily due to the internal locking system).

Don357
February 5, 2013, 08:00 PM
Had a Taurus Millineum PT140 MilPro. Really loved it. Good fit, good accuracy, good reliability. I put several hundred rounds through it without even a hiccup. Sold it to a buddy to buy a rifle. The person I sold it to still has it and loves it too. He won't even sell it back to me. LOL

SDGlock23
February 5, 2013, 09:04 PM
I've only owned two Taurus revolvers, an 856 six shot 38 Special snubby and a 617 7 shot .357 snubby. The quality was acceptable, but they were pretty heavy both in weight and trigger pull. Overall they weren't bad revolvers, but the S&W J-frames are much lighter if you're looking to pocket carry. I know Taurus makes ultralite versions, but I've never handled one.

I've never owned a Taurus pistol and have absolutely no intention to ever own one.

Flashcube
February 5, 2013, 11:45 PM
I've had a few good and a few bad. In their defence, the good ones outnumber the bad... but the bad ones were REALLY bad!

Taurus offerings just don't really light my fire. None of their revolvers really do anything my Rugers don't and I'm not too fond of the aesthetics of their autos. The only Taurus I'm actually interested in is the .45 ACP snub-nose they made a few years back.

That said, I do carry a Taurus every day. A rusty but reliable 650 that lives most of it's life in my jeans pocket. When it starts to get really rusty I just hit it with the wire brush wheel at work. :D Rather fond of the patina it's developing though, lol.

C0untZer0
February 6, 2013, 12:03 AM
Occasionally I'm tempted by the 905.

I'm dissapointed with Charter Arms and their scarce 9mm PITBULL, I think their production rate is 4 revolvers a year.

If I can't get a Charter Arms PITBULL or an Alfa Proj 9m revolver may end up getting the Taurs 905.

Ironhide
February 6, 2013, 12:30 AM
I Used To Have One PT92 For Duty,Dept.Issue.I Carry A G22 Now.Never Failed To Me,But I See Others 92's,With Diferents Types Of Stopages.Ihave A PT1911 and A Taurus 607 Revolver .

dirtengineer
February 6, 2013, 12:52 AM
Three with no issues. I sent my PT99 back for a broken sight - probably was my fault, but they fixed it no questions asked.

My dad had to send his PT1911 back because it wasn't shooting point of aim. Again, they fixed it and now it shoots great.

5Wire
February 6, 2013, 01:37 AM
I have one, a PT1911. No problems, outstanding accuracy, great trigger.

KingMedicine
February 6, 2013, 11:54 AM
Owned three of them, two were nearly unusable. Had horrible luck with there revolvers, but the new TCP 738 has ran like a champ after I polished the feed ramp.

Darkbob
February 6, 2013, 03:47 PM
I have a PT1911 that is my daily carry piece. I did have some feeding issues originally with one of the factory mags. I use CMC mags now and have had zero issues for a few years using a variety of ammo from my reloads to steel cased Tula, to the high end personal defense HPs.

threefortyduster
February 6, 2013, 08:18 PM
I have 3 and haven't had any issues. 24/7 Compact in .40, 605 snub in .357, and a TCP in .32ACP. I plan on getting a TCP in .380 in the near future and if I can find it, a 425, which is a 4" barreled .41 Magnum

EBK
February 7, 2013, 09:24 PM
Seems the MIL PRO series is the most reliable from the posts here.

Interesting.

tarosean
February 7, 2013, 09:50 PM
My wife came with a M85. We had to send it back due to light strikes, it's worked fine since its return. That's my whole experience with them..I probably will never purchase another thou.

joecil
February 7, 2013, 09:57 PM
Hi, joecil,

I am not a Taurus basher, but you say you have five Taurus products (I presume the Rossis were made after Taurus took over), and two have had problems serious enough to require return to the factory. I honestly can't say that a 40% failure rate should be acceptable.

Just MHO, but great customer service is nice for washing machines and toasters, but if a handgun doesn't work when you need it, you might be too dead to return the defective product.

Jim

Actually Jim I had a Rossi 92 that had a feed problem that I sent back and got back in 5 business days and have fired it now for 2 years with no problem at all. I could of probably fixed it myself also once I saw what the problem was, but didn't want to mess with be brand new and never fired gun. The other was Taurus PT 111 Pro that after 3000 rounds the recoil spring assembly started looking bent to me. I sent it back and again was returned within a week with a new recoil spring assembly replaced and another in the new one in the box. I and my wife have since put 6000 more rounds through it with no problems. Oh and both Rossi rifles are since Taurus took them over with the latest one the Rio Grande which I've had less than a year. It has never been a problem and one of the best fitted gun I've owned from several manufactures from Sig, S&W, Marlin, Winchester, Colt, Ruger and Remington.

joecil
February 7, 2013, 10:09 PM
My experiences with their early products (e.g. PT92, five-screw S&W clones) were satisfying and trouble free. My experiences with later products (e.g. PT1911, 24/7, Ti Tracker) was less satisfying.

At the PT 92 is not a S&W clone it is built using Beretta's blue prints for the 92 made for the Brazilian military and with the second and third generations the fixed some problem with the Beretta's 92. They bought the rights, plant and equipment in Brazil as well as the right to the designs of those Beretta guns built for the Brazilian army and police. Taurus started out making parts for S&W hence many of their revolvers resemble them today. I've never owned a revolver however as I've owned the 92, 911 and the 111 Pro by Taurus.

silversport
February 7, 2013, 11:50 PM
...PT1911 AL...mine has worked just fine and any issues I may have had were my own thumbs...

...I would buy again as long as the price was right as it was when I purchased mine...

Bill

lobo9er
February 8, 2013, 12:08 AM
Had the Taurus 380 offering. traded away I will shy away from Taurus in the future. Sent back to Taurus with ejecting problems, came back with light hammer strikes. I did fancy the 8 shot 357, but they have risen in price and I am not a fan of porting.

jim243
February 8, 2013, 12:23 AM
Have had three and all were/are great shooters, still have my pt-92, I use it for IDPA, so it has seen many rounds down the barrel and still shoots great. Currently looking for a reasonably priced Taurus 66 blued. Sold my 6 1/2 inch tracker to my buddy, I want a 4 inch, sold my PT-140 to his father in law, great carry gun but I am more a 45 ACP fan than 40 S&W. All are still in action and working fine.

Jim

Byrd666
February 8, 2013, 12:35 AM
deleted

jk2008
February 8, 2013, 12:57 AM
I've owned one Taurus pistol (a Judge), which malfunctioned right of of the box. I sent it back for repairs--and they took something like 5 weeks to get it back to me--but it still would not function properly. To make the experience worse, their customer service rep was rude and condescending.

Life is too short to waste time and money on a product that doesn't work, made by a company that doesn't care about its customers. I'll never own another Taurus product.

xxjumbojimboxx
February 8, 2013, 02:43 AM
I've have 4 different pt92s... one m85 revolver, and a rossi break action 410... I now only have just one of the 92's, but the only gun I ever had a problem with was the rossi, It would get all sorts of jammed after you ran a slug through it.

Ive ran the gammit on the 92's Ive had one in polished stainless, a 99 in matt stainles (which is no different with the exception of adjustable sites...) One in black with gold.. uh... trim?... And finally the one i keep now. Its the one they had at academy recently with the polished stainless slide and the black frame, Its also got an accessory rail..

Just an aftethought. Ive had two baretta 92s... one standard and one compact... I favor the taurus over the berettas, Thats why its the only 92 I have at all anymore.

So yeah, Taurus is great... And I've never had anything break, but they fix it if it does, so no big deal. Its not like i dont have a bunch of other handguns lying around to stand in.

Beach Nut
February 8, 2013, 10:29 AM
I currently own four Taurus revolvers and have owned a couple of others and they
have never given me any problems. I often carry the Taurus 851 and the Raging
Bull .44 Magnum I own makes a great gun to carry as a sidearm when I go hunting.
I am careful to inspect all firearms before I buy them and this might explain why
I've had no problems. If you know what to look for, you can get a good deal with
a Taurus firearm.

jad0110
February 8, 2013, 10:57 AM
I could not vote, as their was no option for my experience.

I've owned three total , and still own one. Two were/are great, one was a turd.

Taurus 431, 3" 44 Special. Still own this one, and it is an excellent gun. 95% as nice as a S&W 696 for about 40% of the price.

Taurus 66, 6" 357 Mag. Also an excellent gun, one that I stupidly sold. Wish I could have it back.

Taurus 94, 4" 22 LR. Piece of crap right out of the box, I should have checked it better before buying it (my fault). Rough gritty trigger and binding problems. It went back to Taurus and they actually found a way to make it WORSE. Sold it as is for a big loss and replaced it with a S&W K-22. Never looked back.

I have no experience with their semiautos, so I can't comment there. If a Taurus revolver passes my inspection and the price is right, I'd by it. I'd love to get my hands on another Taurus 66 or 65 one day, but the price are always too high locally (about the same as a S&W 66 at $450 to $500).

MMCSRET
February 8, 2013, 11:05 AM
I have 5 revolvers, the oldest a 441 dating to 1992. Have never had a problem with any of them. The 441 has fired somewhere in the neighborhood of 15000 hand loaded 44 Specials. I have called Taurus CS on several occasions with questions, good response and correct. I'll continue to buy and use Taurus, new and used.

jad0110
February 8, 2013, 11:14 AM
A couple years ago I called for a history of my revolver, and a "born on" date. I had it for about (4-5) years at that point. Having never having sent this weapon in for service or any warranty work, I expected a simple call. Before I was even done asking my first question about my revolver, the reply on the other side was, "You don't clean it well or often enough." I tried to get my question answered (3) three times, and all I got in response was "You don't clean it well or often enough."

Emphasis added.

I saw the above post and had to respond. In post 76 above, I noted problems with a Taurus 94. When it came to the binding cylinder, I clearly told Taurus in writing and on the phone when I requested a shipping label that I tried cleaning the face of the cylinder and the forcing cone every cylinder full (which was every 9 shots) to no avail, the cylinder would still bind.

I got the gun back 6 weeks later with a nasty gram that said to "Clean the gun more often" (I guess it has to be cleaned after each shot??? :confused:). It still had the binding problem, but whatever they did to it made it worse because it was spitting little chunks of lead back in my face, something it didn't do before I sent it to Taurus.

There seems to be no middle ground with Taurus. Their guns and their customer service seem to be either excellent or atrocious. Maybe it depends on what day of the week the gun was made, or who you get on the phone or when you get them.

Legion489
February 8, 2013, 02:29 PM
I am not a basher, but I DO tell the truth, which is usually considered "bashing" by the stupid and uninformed. All I can report is what I have experienced.

I owned a Taurus revolver, it was fine. Shot it a fair amount and was happy.

Currently own (recently bought, about a year) a stainless PT-1911 in .38 Super/with rail and am very happy with it so far. I would not buy another gun with a rail (from anyone). Just because I am not too happy with the rail, which I wanted to try, has nothing to do with it being a Taurus. So far the gun is fine and I am happy. OK, to be fair I am not impressed with the plastic grips that came on it, but I normally replace the grips anyway.

Other guns:
(yes, I am a gunsmith)
All guns listed here were new for this report:

Henry AR-7 - returned to the factory repeatedly, still doesn't feed/eject when/if fired.
Jennings J-22 - returned to the factory repeatedly, never worked (firing pin/spring blow out every two to three rounds), waiting for "gun buy back" (if they never owned, it how can they buy it back?) to dump it.
S&W 25-2 Barrel unscrewed while firing. Barrel was not pinned at factory, no pin hole.
Bill Wilson 1911 cost $2500 (not mine) and it would not feed ANY factory ammo (at least six different brands) with ANY magazine (probably a dozen makes, including supplied Wilson mags) when tried at my shooting club.
Kimber Custom 1911 (basic blued 1911) extractor unfinished (no hooks cut), 70+ trigger pull (after trigger pull was reduced by what felt like a least 50% it was measured at 36 lbs, I had nothing to measure it above that), magazine didn't work - period, stoned about an oz of burs out of the action/off frame.
Was NOT impressed with quality of work done by Ruger (on several guns returned over the years) under warranty.

Legion489
February 8, 2013, 02:35 PM
I am not a basher, but I DO tell the truth, which is usually considered "bashing" by the stupid and uninformed. All I can report is what I have experienced.

I owned a Taurus revolver, it was fine. Shot it a fair amount and was happy.

Currently own (recently bought, about a year) a stainless PT-1911 in .38 Super/with rail and am very happy with it so far. I would not buy another gun with a rail (from anyone). Just because I am not too happy with the rail, which I wanted to try, has nothing to do with it being a Taurus. So far the gun is fine and I am happy. OK, to be fair I am not impressed with the plastic grips that came on it, but I normally replace the grips anyway.

Other guns:
(yes, I am a gunsmith)
All guns listed here were new for this report:

Henry AR-7 - returned to the factory repeatedly, still doesn't feed/eject when/if fired.
Jennings J-22 - returned to the factory repeatedly, never worked (firing pin/spring blow out every two to three rounds), waiting for "gun buy back" (if they never owned, it how can they buy it back?) to dump it.
S&W 25-2 Barrel unscrewed while firing. Barrel was not pinned at factory, no pin hole.
Bill Wilson 1911 cost $2500 (not mine) and it would not feed ANY factory ammo (at least six different brands) with ANY magazine (probably a dozen makes, including supplied Wilson mags) when tried at my shooting club.
Kimber Custom 1911 (basic blued 1911) extractor unfinished (no hooks cut), 70+ trigger pull (after trigger pull was reduced by what felt like a least 50% it was measured at 36 lbs, I had nothing to measure it above that), magazine didn't work - period, stoned about an oz of burs out of the action/off frame.
Was NOT impressed with quality of work done by Ruger (on several guns returned over the years) under warranty.

Jim PHL
February 8, 2013, 02:49 PM
I voted "owned/no issues" but did have one minor one. I had an early model 94. This was a 9-shot, blued. 4-inch .22 revolver. I thought fit and finish were very good as was accuracy. I could not get past the very heavy DA trigger pull. I even sent it back to them but felt no real difference when I got it back. I still voted no issues because I generally liked the gun. The single action pull was perfect and everything else about the gun was also great, but I did buy it at least partially for DA practice so the bad DA pull was why I parted ways with it.

I also owned an early PT99AF. ("Brazilian Beretta") That was a great gun. Only "combat accurate", not necessarily a tack-driver, but stone reliable.

Ehtereon11B
February 8, 2013, 09:19 PM
Owned a Taurus .327 Magnum revolver. Wonderful little firearm, recoil, ballistics etc. But it was the wife's gun and she didn't like it so it was sold. Might have to my own eventually.

ar24095
February 8, 2013, 11:38 PM
I have owned 3 a pt100 no problems at all. a pt940 no problems at all then there is my 38 to be honest I got so disgusted with it about 15-20 years ago I left it at my moms house and have not been back for a visit since not even when I visit my mom do I dig it out dont care to cast my eyes upon it.

ACP
February 9, 2013, 04:02 PM
The Taurus 85 CH (hammerless) .38 Spl. snubnose that I owned some years ago -- and inexplicably traded in -- was the most accurate snubnosed revolver I have ever shot. No malfunctions, very good trigger, fit my hand like a glove.

ExTank
February 10, 2013, 05:13 PM
Have owned multiple Taurus pistols, all of the PT-92 or -99 persuasion. Also own a Taurus Raging Bull in .44.

I let the -99 go as I got bored with it, and wish I hadn't; very sweet shooter. No problem with it whatsoever.

The first -92 was bought used from Cabella's and was a "rescue;" just needed some cleaning and TLC, and it shot like a danged tack-driver after. Sold it to a friend who was in the market for one, and made a few bucks on the deal.

My current -92 was also bought used from a dealer at a gun show. It shoots a tad low and left (about 7:00 - 8:00 on the line between bullseye and 10-ring on my targets of choice at my local range), but not badly so, and no feed problems so far after ~300 rounds.

The Raging Bull is another tack-driver, but hoo-lordy, is she an expensive beast to feed! Even .44 Special isn't that much cheaper than full-up .44 Mag.

Water-Man
February 10, 2013, 05:52 PM
I own a Taurus M450 2" s/s ported .45Colt.

I've never had a problem with it although it hasn't had much use.

steveo452
February 11, 2013, 05:32 PM
I have a Taurus model 82 I've owed for many years. It has a SS finish, 4" bl. in .38spl. I've owed It for many years and never had a problem with It. I guess I got lucky.

wally
February 11, 2013, 05:40 PM
The PT-92/99/100/101 will match up against anything and is a lot of gun for the money.

The revolver triggers are usually no where near as good as a S&W or Ruger but generally better than a Charter.

They have a lot of innovative designs, maybe too many for adequate quality control on what gets shipped to dealers.

I've not had any issues with my Taurus pistols, but none besides the PT-92 sees any heavy usage.

LWG
February 11, 2013, 06:38 PM
I own a Taurus 24/7 in .45. Bought it new one year ago and no problems to date. Also have a Taurus .327 Magnum revolver. Nice shooing gun, but had to replace the stock grips with a set of Hogues to have a place to rest my pinkie. No problems to date. Previously owned a used Taurus 82 in .38. Good shooting gun with no problems. Traded it off on a new stainless Rossi .357 revolver. Haven't shot it much, so we'll see.

JoelSteinbach
February 11, 2013, 06:49 PM
I had owned a small ported Taurus revolver in 45 Colt, the crane was out of alignment after the 2nd time to Taurus it was time to go back to the American Guns that we love. I was excied by all of the hype over the Judge, the revolver would not always revolve, I judged it guilty after 2 times to taurus, and realze that I did not learn from my first Taurus mistake, It will not happen for the third time.

TanklessPro
February 11, 2013, 10:02 PM
Own a 608 and 2- 24/7's, all with zero problems. Not a fanboy but I will not hesitate to buy another.

d-dogg
February 12, 2013, 09:25 PM
Taurus 9mm, no issues but definitely a lower quality gun than a Sig (and that surprises everyone because....)

Taurus Raging Bull, .454 Casull, no issues (though I will admit to shooting mostly .45 Colt in it). With .454 it is smoother to shoot than my Ruger Super Blackhawk. Again, not the quality (of finish mostly) of more expensive weapons.

Rossi (Braziltech) single shot .410. No problems, but my 9 y/o daughter says it kicks pretty good (imagine that). It was a $150 gun for crying out loud. 'nuf said.

Taurus Judge .45/.410. 3" stainless. I'll let you know soon.

I'm not what you would call a fanboy. The bulk of my arsenal is Ruger or Mossberg, with a S&W and an L.C. Smith thrown in there to spice things up, and a Cobra for when I'm feeling a little ghetto. I once owned a Colt revolver, and wouldn't own another - nothing really wrong with it, it was just not much fun to shoot.

bwsmith2850
February 12, 2013, 11:52 PM
I picked up a used Taurus 85 ultra light .38spl around Christmas and it shoots great. It is usually in my off hand pocket. I suspect someone bought it for his better half without having her shoot it. There wasn't even a turn ring on the cylinder.

Anger
February 12, 2013, 11:55 PM
Toilet flush. That's what I think of taurus based on three pistols.

thecarfarmer
February 14, 2013, 03:44 AM
shot one (small .38 revolver; no external hammer) belonging to a lady; believe she was original owner... cylinder would intermittently hang up on the rim of the cartridge when she'd fire it. I shot a couple cyl's through it and had the same problem. Tried some other ammo (all was various brands of factory ammo - no home loads). Don't think I was limp-wristing it, as I don't have any problems w/ any other guns I've shot.

Didn't really care much for the other two Tauruses I shot, but they seemed to work 'okay'.

Don't think I'm likely to ever buy one of that brand, unless some kind of super awesome deal falls in my lap.

-Bill

Wilbert
February 14, 2013, 04:00 AM
I've got an older pt92 that didn't have any problems for the longest time. It's a fun pistol and has never jammed in any way, but lately it quit locking open after the last round and the magazine release takes a little extra pressure to drop the mags. I'm not too worried about it because it was cheap and I don't rely on it.

With that said, with all the Taurus' that I've handled, there seems to be some real differences in quality control. I personally don't trust them, but to each their own.

VBVAGUY
February 14, 2013, 01:01 PM
I had a Taurus PT709 and before I sold it to a LEO to be used as his backup gun, I had right at 6000 problem free rounds through it. I miss that gun. Maybe oneday I will get another one. Currently the only other Taurus I have is the new 24/7 G2 45 compact. That too has been problem free and is a great gun. God Bless :)

mcdonl
February 14, 2013, 01:12 PM
I no longer own one, but never had problems with the one I did own up until very recently. Only got rid of it to fund a change.

BisleyBlackhawk45
February 14, 2013, 08:46 PM
Owned an 85 .38 stainless that was foolproof but heavy...shot thousands of rounds over 10-11 years...still in time and tight and shot well untill the day I traded it to a friend. In his hand it is still on spot....just heavy for a snubby!

Carne Frio
February 15, 2013, 01:08 AM
Own and shoot a Taurus Titanium 44 special
ported revolver and a PT 1911 in 45 acp.
Both work fine and are reliable.

ditmo
February 15, 2013, 05:50 PM
I still own 62, 94, 431, 445, and a 905. Never had a problem with any of my Taurus products. Not as refined as S&W but most of them have slicked up nicely. The 94 (.22lr revolver) is almost unshootable in double action. Single action is fine. Replaced springs and it didn't help much. Got missfires and put the stock hammer spring back in.

The only semi auto taurus I've owned is a PT111. It shot fine, and got traded off years ago.

The Lone Haranguer
February 15, 2013, 07:31 PM
The PT945 I had was an absolutely egregious, dreadful lemon. This was back in 1995, and perhaps it is a little unfair of me, but I'm the unforgiving type. :p

Backpacker33
February 16, 2013, 06:30 PM
I've posted the dreadful history I've had with Taurus guns before. Dating back to the '80s. Happily, most of them belonged to my employer. His problems started with 12 92s that FTF, FTE, double fed, were inaccurate and keyholed. He wouldn't issue them to us.
Personally owned 941 .22 Magnums. All bound up and cylinders would not rotate after no more than 18 rounds. Keyholing. Inaccurate. One threw the rear sight.
431, from employer: Trigger was so bad NO ONE could shoot it accurately. After warranty work, trigger was sweet but failed to fire every 5th round. Reworked by company gunsmith, FTF every 10th round or so.
I was given a 92C. The previous owner said it was great. He was right. No problems, ever.
I was given a 100. Previous owner said it failed to feed, failed to extract, double fed, inaccurate. He was right but failed to add "keyholed." Back to factory twice and local gunsmith once. Factory sent me a scolding letter saying it made spec but they replaced the innards and the barrel. Now it's accurate and reliable.
On advice of a friend I got a Raging Bull .44 Magnum. Front latch would not catch by itself and had to be battered to let loose. Local gunsmith attempted to repair it, found the pin that holds it was bent, the cylinder pin and hinge pin looked as though they had been worked over with a coarse file to make them fit. He noted the front latch was poorly machined, probably by hand - at the factory, leaving a big step on its face. He started to dress it with a file and stopped immediately because the soft metal just melted away. It's pretty and, when it bothers to lock up, accurate.

gibson_es
February 16, 2013, 06:43 PM
I have only shot one and it was a 1911 .45 that a family member got new and the safety kept falling out. Other then that it was not bad. No colt though.

I looked at some of there .22 double action revolvers and the trigger was horruble. Even in single action.

However, I would still get a Taurus if it was a steal of a price and I had the cash.

skidder
February 17, 2013, 12:19 AM
That's funny I never get tired telling my story :D.

They are sloppy crackle cakes made of some kind of peanut brittle alloy. Remove the side plate to reveal the marshmallow filling. Mine had a crunchy chocolate filling inside. I will never buy another one unless they throw in a glass of milk.
Taurus denies these allegations that their guns are made of peanut brittle, but rather plastic and pot metal. My experience definitely coincides with the former.

When I sent my Tracker to their hidden factory in Florida run by Umpa Lumpas. They said they would replace the defective grips (filled with holes), fix the hammer that was sticking on the way down, and replace the broken yoke screw assembly.
My gun came back with none of these items fixed (well..:rolleyes: the groove they filed into the frame did make the hammer drop smoother), and.... it was covered in black grease (or frosting :rolleyes:). I was furious by this point, the gun looked like hell: same grips, the cylinder was hard to open, and it had the appearance of a grizzly mauling. I gave them a call and explained what had happened. They said to remove the yoke screw, apply a little nail polish, and then reinsert the screw. They told me not to tighten the screw all the way or it would bind the cylinder and that the nail polish would keep the screw from backing out.:confused:

Now I ain't no registered gunsmith, but I know advice like that could not come from a homo sapian, it had to be an Umpa-Lumpa. ;)

blaisenguns
February 17, 2013, 12:31 AM
Two revolvers. No issues.

Ironman615
February 19, 2013, 02:31 AM
Both my Taurus's are revolvers. My M65--.357 Mag--was acquired in a trade, and it looks and feels like a S&W. Excellent trigger on that one. My later one is a .22 Mag Tracker. It has a heavy double action trigger pull, but it really doesn't bother me. I often shoot it double action with good results. Both of these are reliable and accurate. They are not masterpieces of engineering or manufacturing, but I knew that when I bought them.

Ky Larry
February 20, 2013, 11:08 AM
This horse has been beaten more times than Jimmy Carter has peanuts.

If you enjoyed reading about "Actual experience with Taurus" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!