Men's Night Out

PDA

Series 70
March 9, 2004, 05:32 PM
Got home from work yesterday amidst a discussion between son and wife. Dan wants to go to Cabelas and get some accessory for his airsoft pistol or maybe a paintball gun. He has money burning a hole in his pocket.

Wife suggests we make an evening of it and stop for dinner, too. It's a 45-minute drive to Cabelas and we have just over an hour until they close. Dan picks out a paintball gun, a hopper and box of paintballs. He'll have to wait until he gets paid this week for CO2 or a face shield.

Then there's me. We're checking out longarms when I hear this faint call.

"Over here! Over here!"

I strain to hear. Can't quite tell. I ask to check out a Marlin 336 hiding behind another lever-action.

"Buy me! Buy me!"

The rifle was purring in my hands. Very odd. I worked the action and sighted at one of the trophies on the wall. Dan was on me to get the thing. I handed it back and went to check out the price of .30-30 ammo.

"Come back!" it cried.

Ammo wasn't cheap, but not terrible. I've been wanting a rifle for awhile, in a real rifle caliber, rather than a pistol caliber. We went back to the counter.

"Buy me!"

So I did.

We stopped at Timberlodge Steakhouse for dinner, then drove home.

Road trip, guns, steak - a men's night out.

If you enjoyed reading about "Men's Night Out" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Eskimo Jim
March 9, 2004, 05:44 PM
Series 70,
Sounds like a wonderful night out!!

I hope that you have a wonderful day at the range too!!

-Jim

fslflint
March 9, 2004, 05:49 PM
congrats on the new gun. I must say though (as an avid paintball player) I hope your son has fun with his new marker. be very careful though and be sure to get a mask before even thinking of playing. Its really sad to see a preventable accident.

congrats again

Sisco
March 9, 2004, 05:54 PM
I hear that "Buy me!" thing everytime I go into a gunshop. I usually manage to resist but sometimes it's overpowering.
My son got into paintball a few years ago. Now, gathering dust in the garage is a marker with an add-on barrel, clothes, mask, assorted other "must haves" and several cases of paint balls. :rolleyes:

Lennyjoe
March 10, 2004, 12:50 AM
Saturday is boys day here.

For the last 3 gunshows us fellas have gone to the gunshow, lunch and then range time. Arriving back at the house around dinner time.

This Saturday should be no different;)

OEF_VET
March 10, 2004, 09:41 AM
Sounds like a great way to spend the evening bonding with your son.

TBeck
March 10, 2004, 03:14 PM
Ted Kennedy congratulates you on your new "armor-piercing assault rifle."
:banghead:
It's a good rifle. Try it with a Scout scope and mount.

Series 70
March 10, 2004, 04:47 PM
It's a good rifle. Try it with a Scout scope and mount.

I plan to. Gotta get one of Mr. Ching's three-point setups, too.

GigaBuist
March 10, 2004, 05:41 PM
Phew. I thought I was the only one who had rifles talk to him. "Buy me", "Clean me!", "Can we go out and play?" "Stop shoving Wolf ammo in my &*#!" etc.

If you enjoyed reading about "Men's Night Out" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!