Shooting near me this morning

PDA

tommytrauma
March 9, 2004, 05:10 PM
About 9:00 this morning, we had a meat cleaver weilding nut burger barge into a day care center and start slicing up employees. Police arrived on scene and immediatly administered high speed Pb therapy, resulting in the demise of said nut burger. I was about a hundred yards away when this concluded.

One or two employees sustained survivable wounds. No kids were hurt.

I'm thankful that PD response time was as good as it was.

Speaking only hypothetically, I wonder what the outcome would have been if an otherwise law abiding citizen who was CCW'ing in violation of WI law had stepped in and resolved the situation. Given the contradiction between state law and our recent supreme court rulings re RKBA, it might have made for an interesting trial and resolution of our CCW woes.

Note to other medics out there; I'm going to start wearing a glove pouch, even off duty.

Edited to add link; http://www.channel3000.com/news/2907930/detail.html

If you enjoyed reading about "Shooting near me this morning" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Andrew Rothman
March 9, 2004, 05:50 PM
Man!

That's what makes me crazy about all these "reasonable" exceptions to where you can carry.

No one ever needs a weapon in a day care center!

Duh. The bad guy will bring his cleaver, and the good guys will have to sit there disarmed because they obeyed the law.

I suppose there is little chance that folks will realize this. :(

clubsoda22
March 9, 2004, 05:51 PM
Note to other medics out there; I'm going to start wearing a glove pouch, even off duty.

I already do.

Dave R
March 9, 2004, 06:16 PM
Well, at least the nutjob obeyed the rules about not having a firearm on school property. :rolleyes:

ny32182
March 9, 2004, 06:31 PM
Yup, daycare centers are on SC's extensive list of prohibited places as well. I try to obey the law as much as possible, but have simply forgotten a couple of times... if it had been one of those times... hmm. Makes you wonder.

DMK
March 9, 2004, 10:02 PM
The ironic thing is, if this guy had a gun it would probably have been all over national news "Gunman kills in Daycare, news at 11". Apparently, cleaver attacks don't prove the appropriate point.

xenophon
March 9, 2004, 10:49 PM
Oh just perfect. Now we have more ammo for the wi ccw law next year. I can't remember if the ccw bill from 2003 prohibited carry in "child day care centers" but this event reinforces the fact. Crime can happen ANYWHERE.

x

Bob F.
March 9, 2004, 11:15 PM
State Police stopped by the VFD last summer. Full time paid EMS stationed there. Paraphrasing:"Been having a little trouble down at Mitchell, people stopping cars, mostly at night, then breaking windows, trying to turn the cars over, etc. Get any calls down there be careful; take what you need to get the job done" (Sounds like open season on BG's)

Also, sheriff's dept orientation used to include:"Get in trouble in the south end of the Co., call GAVFD, they're closer than your backup, they're armed (many CHL's on the squad) and they'll come"

sturmruger
March 10, 2004, 10:35 AM
The CCW legislation that failed last month did include day care facilities as prohibited locations. I think with the permision of the daycare owner or manager you would be allowed to carry in their facility. If they said "No" then you would have had to have left your gun in the car.

Even if you would have left your gun in the car it sounds like you would have had time to run and get it. I wish a common citizen would have shot this guy. It would have been excellant PR for our cause.

SiG Lady
March 10, 2004, 12:57 PM
"The ironic thing is, if this guy had a gun it would probably have been all over national news "Gunman kills in Daycare, news at 11". Apparently, cleaver attacks don't prove the appropriate point."You sure got THAT one right. :mad:

JamisJockey
March 10, 2004, 01:40 PM
One reason to like Utah. Very few places are off limits, and the ones that are usually have metal detectors and xray machines. Granted, I hate being disarmed at all, but at least they are checking at the places that are disarming.....

Sisco
March 10, 2004, 02:36 PM
I'm going to confess ignorance here; What's a glove pouch?

keyhole
March 10, 2004, 02:49 PM
"Crime can happen ANYWHERE."

Excactly! Which is why I cannot understand the reasoning of allowing stores to post signs keeping CCW's out. Dumb reasoning.

:banghead:

keyhole
March 10, 2004, 02:50 PM
Sisco,
pouch to carry latex gloves, practice safe hands!

tommytrauma
March 10, 2004, 03:34 PM
I'm going to confess ignorance here; What's a glove pouch?

A lot of medics wear a small belt pouch that holds one or two pairs of exam gloves, in case we need to replace dirty gloves in mid stride, fail to glove up and suddenly feel the need to do so, etc. I always wear one on duty, gonna start doing it all the time now.

Sisco
March 10, 2004, 04:02 PM
Are these pouches big enough to hold a pair of gloves and a 2" snubbie?

tommytrauma
March 10, 2004, 06:16 PM
Nope. They're 4" long by 3" high, just the width you get from sewing the two pieces of nylon together. Barely big enough to wad up a pair of gloves in.

My uniform pants, however, have an extra velcro pocket that, hypothetically only of course, holds a Kel-Tec P3AT perfectly and securely. It also rides very comfortably in a jeans pocket, with a pocket holster of course. At least it looks like it would.

Edited 'cause I speel better than I tipe.

Andrew Rothman
March 10, 2004, 06:20 PM
hypothetically only of course

:D

litman252
March 10, 2004, 06:38 PM
My usually good Dem. Rep, Wayne Wood is one who added to the failed law. Something on the lines of hospitalls and what not.

Tony

If you enjoyed reading about "Shooting near me this morning" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!