SD40VE - I think a loose internal part

PDA

thomis
February 4, 2013, 06:53 PM
I have a brand new S&W SD40VE. Haven't even shot it yet. Without the magazine, you shake the gun, no noise. Put in a loaded magazine, give it a shake or just move it around, something rattles inside like a cheap child's toy. I've taken it apart and put back together a dozen times and I cannot for the life of me figure out what is shaking/ rattling. I have the Ruger BSR40c and it doesn't have any similar rattle. Anyone know what it could be?
TIA,
thomis

If you enjoyed reading about "SD40VE - I think a loose internal part" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bdb benzino
February 4, 2013, 07:38 PM
Sounds like it is just the mag, fairly common. Some magazines rattle and some do not. Shoot it and see if it is even an issue first.

DMK
February 4, 2013, 08:24 PM
Shake the magazine fully loaded (14 rounds), then remove one round from the mag and shake it again.

The mags for these guns are known to rattle when fully loaded.

thomis
February 4, 2013, 08:47 PM
DMK- I did just as you said. The magazine with 13 rounds does have a slight rattle, but thats not it. I can load the magazine with 14 rounds, shake it = nothin. load it into the gun, not rack the slide, rattle. bigtime rattle. its something in the gun, i'm afraid.

rtz
February 4, 2013, 08:52 PM
Take the slide off and put the mag in the frame and see if you can get it to rattle.

thomis
February 4, 2013, 09:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmvGHge7cp8&feature=youtu.be

EBK
February 4, 2013, 09:34 PM
SD40 VE owner here. The rattle you are hearing is the cartridges in the magazine. nothing to worry about.

Th rattle is caused by seating the magazine . it pushes down slightly on the ammo and the ammo becomes slightly loose in the magazine.

Fully load the mag chamber a round and top off the mag. it will lessen the amount of rattle if not eliminate it.

Nothing is wrong with your firearm.

As a heads up Sigma magazines are the same as SD mags and seem to rattle a little less in my experiance.

ETA after wathcing the video I am even more sure that the rattle is comming from the mag and not the firearm.

mgmorden
February 4, 2013, 09:58 PM
DMK- I did just as you said. The magazine with 13 rounds does have a slight rattle, but thats not it. I can load the magazine with 14 rounds, shake it = nothin. load it into the gun, not rack the slide, rattle. bigtime rattle. its something in the gun, i'm afraid.

Not necessarily. If you load a magazine into a gun with a closed slide the top round will contact the slide and put extra pressure onto the cartridges in a magazine. This is why its often harder to seat a full mag with the slide closed as the cartridges don't "give" as easily.

What you're referring to is common on all SD40VE's. When the mags are full they rattle. Mine does it. Every SD/Sigma owner I've ever heard - their mags do it. Its fine - don't worry about it.

Onward Allusion
February 4, 2013, 10:51 PM
Yup, it's the mag and the ammo. I should know. I have 6 of 'em and each and almost every mag I have for 'em rattle between 12 and 16 rounds. Sometimes it stops when fully loaded. Other times it continues to rattle. I've seen it happen to several other makes, so it's not just a Sigma/SD thing.

DMK
February 4, 2013, 11:11 PM
That's strange. My SD40 VE mags rattle with 14 rounds, but not 13. If I insert a loaded mag and drop the slide release to chamber the top round, no more rattle. Works the same with both mags.

xjsnake
February 4, 2013, 11:31 PM
It's the mag. My SD9VE does the same thing

thomis
February 5, 2013, 10:54 AM
ok, cool. my worries are laid to rest. on to the range....
thanks

mgmorden
February 5, 2013, 11:23 AM
ok, cool. my worries are laid to rest. on to the range....
thanks

Let us know how it runs. Mine didn't like American Eagle ammo but everything else I've tried has ran fine. Seems like even the American Eagle stuff was breaking in though as the malfunctions with that ammo were decreasing over time.

I've had an order (not backorder - just a regular in-stock one) waiting to ship from Grafs for a while that I'm hoping goes out soon. That includes a set of .40S&W dies that I need to really get to shooting the gun some more :).

If you enjoyed reading about "SD40VE - I think a loose internal part" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!