skeet choke setup question.

PDA

dvlhntr
February 5, 2013, 12:32 AM
Is there some valid reason someone would run an extended choke on the over and a flush fit on the under? or vis versa. assume money is no object.

I am really only a sporting clays guy, so I thought maybe there was something particular to skeet setups that I just am unaware of.

If you enjoyed reading about "skeet choke setup question." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Virginian
February 5, 2013, 06:47 AM
Who knows. Maybe he misplaced one of his choke tubes. Or dropped it on the floor and when he rolled his chair back to look for it he pinched the tube. Don't ask me how I know about that one. I shoot Sporting and Skeet with the same gun and like the extended tubes for Sporting because they are so easy to change.

Nasty
February 5, 2013, 07:51 AM
Could be...chokes are funny. He may have actually patterned his gun and found that for his use, the standard tube provided a better pattern for his use.

Just because someone runs a set of $200 chokes it does not mean they actually know what they are doing.

The guy that patterns...*he* knows.

rugerdude
February 5, 2013, 09:13 AM
I use extended chokes because my gun came with them and they look nice :)

They are also much easier to change.

oneounceload
February 5, 2013, 02:09 PM
Is there some valid reason someone would run an extended choke on the over and a flush fit on the under

Many guns, especially from a few years ago, came with flush chokes. Perhaps he wanted a new one and bought an extended? Perhaps he took one out and is shooting "treads" thinking he'll get a bigger spread for the incoming shot?

Extended chokes add more weight at the muzzle which can affect swing dynamics and MOI; however they also allow someone to easily see what chokes are in the gun. This isn't as critical shooting skeet as it might be shooting sporting clays

Jorg Nysgerrig
February 5, 2013, 02:20 PM
I suspect the OP isn't being entirely forthcoming in his reason for asking the question.

I'm not sure why we need yet another thread about this topic.

RUT
February 5, 2013, 05:34 PM
>>so I thought maybe there was something particular to skeet setups that I just am unaware of.<<

Nope.....

dvlhntr
February 5, 2013, 10:36 PM
I suspect the OP isn't being entirely forthcoming in his reason for asking the question.

I'm not sure why we need yet another thread about this topic.

Jorg,

I didn't find the other thread. sorry.

Yes I wasn't entirely forthcoming on why I was asking. I just was more curious about a possible technical reason rather than having it go 'in another direction' . So yes I wasn't forthcoming but I was trying to keep it steered away from somewhere I didn't want it go.

feel free to close /lock/delete the thread if you want. my curiosity has been satisfied.

oneounceload
February 5, 2013, 10:44 PM
Is this about the Barry photo showing him supposedly shooting skeet?

Nasty
February 10, 2013, 03:20 PM
My answer stands...

If you enjoyed reading about "skeet choke setup question." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!