Remmy 700 question

PDA

dirtykid
February 5, 2013, 10:31 AM
Picked up a REM-700 in .223 at the last local gun show for my youngest,
It does not have the "drop-out" bottom plate allowing you to dump the cartridges that were top-loaded,you have to cycle the bolt each round to eject the unfired cartridges,
Im wondering if there is a way to convert it ?
I was gonna take apart my REM-700 .243 to see what the difference in parts
was, but figured I would start here and save myself some time

Any help would be much appreciated !

If you enjoyed reading about "Remmy 700 question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Delmar
February 5, 2013, 10:52 AM
what youll need is a bottom plate so you can open it and dump the magazine into your hands, mag follower and spring, plus the guide for your cartridges. And of course a stock cut to take all of it.

Second choice: stock cut to accept droppable magazines and of course the mags to insert. More expensive and some dont like chasing mags due to their cost, but thats your call.

dirtykid
February 5, 2013, 10:59 AM
Thats one of the issues I ran across, Is nobody seems to offer an aftermarket stock,
(the factory one is cheesy plastic) that doesn't have the cut-out for the drop-plate,
I found a good deal on a new-take-off Hogue overmolded stock with the aluminum bedding material molded into it,but the shop I was at didnt have anybody on duty at the time that could answer my questions,,
So Delmar your saying I could probably order the drop-plate,follower and spring, and use the stock I found that I like ?

BBBBill
February 5, 2013, 11:50 AM
Here ya go -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB3EHEy5xIE

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/triggers-bottom-metals/adl-bdl-conversion-kits/remington-700-adl-to-bdl-kits-prod340.aspx?ttver=2

http://www.remingtonowners.com/topic179.html

dirtykid
February 5, 2013, 12:14 PM
Thanks guys !
I just ventured over to youtube,wondering if someone had posted a video about it,
and found the brownells video,
Those other links helped also !!

dirtykid
February 13, 2013, 11:02 PM
Wow,, what a nightmare this has turned into !!
Bought a HS-Precision stock,and a Wyatt det-mag conversion kit,
Casing gets deep scratches on it when pushed out of magazine,
When it does chamber a round , something binds,and boltwill not cam into locked position
Then ocassionally when trying to extract cartridge,it wont pull it out of chamber,but it isint stuck,I can easily tilt the gun up and tap the stock,and it drops right out
I have tried using the shims provided with the Wyatt kit,with no consistent improvement
I think I might have bought a lemon ?
I called a few guys around my part of the country,and have not heard anybody say anything close to "Bring it in,I will dial it in for you"
Anybody have any suggestions as to where I could send this to have it looked at by a PROFESSIONAL that can for a fee of course make this a 200-yard tack-driver ?

If you enjoyed reading about "Remmy 700 question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!